Screenshots on Mac AWOL (doh!)

Gads… Cautionary tale…

I deleted what I wrote but boils down to not finding screenshots on the Desktop where they usually plonk. Not in Finder’s Spotlight search, not in Launchbar, not in a saved search in the Dock (unresolved issue).

They appeared to have stopped sometime in August. Shut down and restarted, which turns out the wrong move, as…

Yeah. Seems in the Screenshot App (shift-command-5) Options, I’d set them to save in the Clipboard. Had I not restarted, I could have recovered some from recent hours via the LaunchBar saved clipboard feature.

So I"m sharing the cautionary tale so other dunderheads like me can avoid the same panic.

2 Likes

A recent macOS update introduced the ability to have multiple clipboard items so I guess there is more to lose if the Mac is shutdown.

Yes I forgot to mention that, too! For those using Spotlight’s Clipboard History (or other clipboard managers), if your screenshots are not appearing in their usual, expected location:

  1. Check the Options settings in Screenshot App to find out where they’re going
  2. If Clipboard is selected, and you need some of the screenshots, don’t panic like I did and shut down, but paste them somewhere and change the screenshot saving location back to what you’re used to…
  3. And if you ever change it in future for some reason, change it back once the reason is done!

Phew! Not my day for tech stuff. Maybe I’ll mow the lawn instead.

(I’m not using the Spotlight Clipboard History so I’m not 100% sure it clears on shutdown; I suppose others clear it too).