Personal data warning as digital information not deleted from cars

This is a UK article but is applicable worldwide:

In essence, when selling your car treat it like a phone or computer.

I suspect that with many vehicles it is not easy or obvious how to delete data. In some cases it might need to be done by an authorised service department.

Some tips for deleting data here:

There is also a question about data on the SIM card that is often installed in recent model cars.

3 Likes

An update on the EU data protection requirements:

Another article about data collection in cars. Some brands are selling data and video to AI companies:

1 Like

As if there weren’t enough reasons to hate Tesla - they’re actually taking voice and video from their cars, including from inside the car. I heard a report of someone 3d printing covers for their internal cameras. " Tesla workers have been caught sharing among themselves highly invasive camera recordings of Tesla customers in the nude, as well as images of crashes and road-rage incidents."

Then there’s a few others who share data with third parties including the option to provide it to insurance companies. “Sorry sir, your car said you were 5km over the speed limit so we’re refusing your claim”.

Kudos to Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Subaru who appear to track nothing.

Same with rental cars!

Yes - there is mention of privacy issues with rental vehicles here:

I booked a a rental vehicle in a few weeks and have asked for a model that supports wired Carplay - so I don’t have to connect with Bluetooth.

More coverage here: