Ten “It’s About Time” Features from WWDC 2022

Originally published at: Ten “It’s About Time” Features from WWDC 2022 - TidBITS

It will take time to digest some of the more far-reaching features that Apple announced in its WWDC 2022 keynote, but many will likely make you—like us—immediately say, “It’s about time!”

1 Like

I wonder why they don’t get around to adding better filing in Mail in iOS. In iOS Outlook, for example, you can easily file in any folder by typing into the little search bar and it quickly narrows down to the folder you’re looking for. Apple Mail seems designed to do the exact same thing but they don’t. You still have to scroll through all your folders and sub-folders to find the filing destination.

The multiple waypoints routing is to me the highlight of all of today’s OS updates. No seriously, to this road trip enthusiast it truly is. :laughing:

I’m also intrigued by better search in Mail, but I’ll contain any enthusiasm until I see actual improvement in action.

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting it but liked the look of Stage Manager. I can see that being useful the way I work. The Maps multi points will be handy but probably not used too much here.

As mentioned in another thread, I’d disappointed there’s no Health app for the Mac. I hate using it on the phone.

I note there are now groups available in the Stocks app and they mentioned ‘ownership’ as a possible group. I hope it means you can enter a portfolio where you can track holdings, profit and loss etc.

Finally, a big < sigh > to a note about the redesigned System Settings panel. “You can search… by dragging from the top of the window to reveal the search field.” What is Apple’s fascination with hiding interface items? Who thought the concept of a clearly visible search field was a bad idea? Whoever it was, please sack them now.

The iPad as well. In fact, I wouldn’t mind seeing rudimentary Health info on the watch as well. (Now it only stores a little data for each app for the day, with little to no summarization.)

1 Like

Powerful search
If you don’t know where to find an option in System Settings, you can search for it by dragging from the top of the window to reveal the search field.

A search field that only becomes visible when you drag down the top of the window? Sounds like Sir Jony has come back to Apple…

re: Camo getting Sherlocked, I’m glad now that I paid for the lifetime license and hope a lot of others did, as well, so that if Apple’s new accommodation is anywhere from ‘good enough’ to ‘killer’, Reincubate will have made enough money to continue to make innovative apps to meet our other needs until Apple catches up.

1 Like

Last time I used it Camo still didn’t support FaceTime (i.e. wasn’t allowed to). Is that no longer true?

Yes, very recently:

Do you actually need to drag down first to make the search field visible? All the screen shots I saw showed it already there. It’s possible those were all dragged down first, but I’d consider that a bit unlikely.

It makes no sense to hide stuff like this on Mac where we have large screens. Unlike iPhone.

In general, I don’t understand this urge to rework stuff like Sys Prefs. There’s far more urgent smoldering wrecks that would require attention on macOS. Apple, how about you focus on those raging fires first (Music, TV, iCloud Safari syncing, …) before you rework stuff that’s working reasonably well? Fix what’s broken first before you concern yourself with beautification unification assimilation of macOS towards iOS.

1 Like

The current macOS System Settings shows a search field in the title bar. The current IOS Setting app shows a search field directly below the title. Why would Apple add a need to pull it down in future systems?

No. It does not. That only shows once you drag down form the top. And that was exactly the point I was trying to clarify.

You’d think that on macOS things could stay like they are (no hiding) since screen space is not as constrained as on iPhone. Yet the above posts by @trilo and @drmoss_ca seem to indicate that is no longer the case. Hence, my question to clarify if indeed Apple has really modified the Mac’s Sys Prefs Settings to now initially hide search.

You’re right. However, once you pull it down, it persists. So, unless you force close the Settings app, it will be there the next time you open it.

That’s the mystery. It’s like the Mail app on iOS where the search field is hidden until you swipe down (or is it up?). Many iPhones have bigger screens or greater pixel densities than ever before so I’m not sure why hiding something of around 30 pixels in height is necessary. Even more so on the Mac where 4k is now common. Surely the smarter option is to make clear, concise, VISIBLE controls which are immediately available to users both novice and experienced.

Hidden interface items are a pet hate of mine. I see no benefit and it’s increasingly difficult to remember all the nonsense you have to go through to do the most basic things (like search!).

1 Like

Adding a reminder feature to emails is a good (overdue) idea but why not integrate it with Reminders? For years I have been doing this in a clumsy way by dragging an email onto the Reminders icon in the Dock (on a Mac). But I then need to edit the Reminder to apply a time and date. The new Apple feature could do this automatically.

I prefer it Apple’s way, but this would be fine, as long as it’s an option. I’d prefer this to stay in the mail app myself rather than add the complication of using a second app.

1 Like

I read that Ventura will offer Quick Look for Spotlight. So how does that work? How does Spotlight know when hitting space bar means blank space vs. show Quick Look preview?

Camo is something I was just getting into (and don’t need Ventura to use) and Weather seems like they’ve intergrated Dark Sky acquisition.
While Agile Bits was lucky to have profited off that, I preferred Dark Sky to Weather since it was better.
But I look at my friend’s android phone, that its lock screen has weather info, and look at my iPhone… is it that hard to have had this feature, Apple? (I don’t have a faceID phone, but do have setting for lock screen…I have to still swipe)

Quoted for emphasis.

I would like to say better late than never. But then again, it looks like there will be only one line available for all weather app info on the new lock screen. That line is also where battery info and next meeting will have to go… :thinking:

https://images.macrumors.com/t/LDSZ9HaKNwf_6YAQwLsvv6Bo0zo=/2500x0/filters:no_upscale()/article-new/2022/06/lock-screen-widgets.jpg

Presumably it depends on whether you have selected an item in the search results (triggering Quick Look) or have the search text entry area active (just a space).

1 Like