Continuing the discussion from BBEdit 15 Adds ChatGPT, Minimap, Cheat Sheets, and More:
This reminds me of a persistent annoyance with spreadsheets (definitely Excel, probably all the rest).
If you type in a date without a year (e.g. 1/15 or 12/5), it automatically applies the current year (creating 1/15/2024 and 12/5/2024, respectively, if tried today).
This is understandable and predictable, but it can be frustrating. For example, in December, I often need to record dates for the next month. But if I omit the year in my typing, I end up with January from the current year, not the next year. And vice versa - sometimes when in January I need to enter a December date from the previous year.
Years ago, a project I worked on for my employer had a date-parse function that did it a better way. When a date without a year was provided, it would auto-fill the year closest to the current day. So if I tried to expand 12/5 in January 2024, it would expand to 12/5/2023, since that date is closer to today than 12/5/2024. But if I tried to do that same expansion in July, it would pick 2024, since that would then be closer.
I’d love spreadsheets everywhere to adopt this convention.