Josh Centers: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Originally published at: Josh Centers: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish - TidBITS

After nine years, TidBITS Managing Editor Josh Centers is moving on. He reflects on what he’s done and where he’s going.

7 Likes

Allow me to be the first to wish Josh all the best at TextExpander. He has done excellent work here at TidBITS, and this is a great opportunity for him to move on and do something new. We’ll certainly miss him, but it’s also a chance for me to rethink the direction I want to take TidBITS going forward.

9 Likes

I’m a little teary, too, Josh! I remember being excited when I found your work a decade (!!) ago because of the rigorous way you were trying to approach topics that people are often squishy and imprecise around. I will also count as a significant moment in my life that I was able to connect you to TidBITS at the right time, and have you write a wee bit for The Magazine. As someone we both know said, don’t hide your light under a bushel. I’m so excited for this next move for you all, and I will miss your presence deeply over here in the content mines.

10 Likes

Thanks for all the great work, Josh!

3 Likes

Funny, he doesn’t look like a sea-dwelling mammal… ;~}

Good luck!

3 Likes

I have thoroughly enjoyed your contributions to TidBITS over the years. Best of times with your new endeavors!

4 Likes

All the best to you, @jcenters. I’ve always enjoyed reading your articles and following your insightful remarks here. Here’s hoping for the very best in your next endeavor. Don’t become a stranger. :slight_smile: :+1:

4 Likes

Good luck, Josh!

4 Likes

Josh, you are simply the very best of the very best. Your excellent articles and analysis will certainly be missed.

Cent Anny
L’Chiam
Buena Suerte
Meilleurs voeux
Complimente
Rath orbh
Alles Liebe
Cofion gorau

And I’m looking forward to your contributions to this list!

2 Likes

Thank you. You’ve always been very kind to me.

4 Likes

Wish you the best, Josh!

Great fun story of life’s twists and turns and I hope you’ll keep us appraised of your further adventures.

3 Likes

Congratulations on making this decision to make a change in your work life. Hopefully everything will work out as you hope.
The title of your article made me smile as I used to say to my students at the end of their senior year, So long and Thanks for The Fish. Thanks for the Douglas Adams reference :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Josh, good man, great to hear you are keeping things fresh and moving. All good and it’s not as if we are losing you!

3 Likes

Dear Mr. Centers,

You took a photo while driving? What kind of leadership example is that? Hasn’t there been enough news, messages, signs, warnings about in-hand phone use while driving?

Congratulations on expanding your horizons and redirecting your life’s desires. Good luck with the future work on TextExpander and everything else. As others have said, I’m looking forward to future articles as they come.

Good choice on avoiding the beautiful cars and fast women (see if you can remember that commercial).

What fish? I never sent any fish. Did I miss something?

I know about Douglas Adams, so no need to respond to the final comment.

3 Likes

Congratulations, @jcenters! And thank you very, very much for being such a key part of TidBITS for over a decade, and for the news, wisdom and valuable information you gave us.

Your story is remarkable and inspiring, and I wish you and Hannah and the family joy and happiness, and you great success at TextExpander. They are fortunate to have you on their team!

3 Likes

Josh, There isn’t anything I can say differently than those have said before me. I’ll just say “Thank You!”. My best wishes for success in the new chapter of your life. I’ve been a “Mac person” since 1988 when I purchased a Macintosh SE and sent it along with my daughter to college. I learned a lot the first year she was there and even helped her find her way around the Mac. The second Mac in the house was for our son (it was a Macintosh Plus). I didn’t get my own until later and it was the first of many (my latest is a Mac Mini). I have enjoyed keeping up-to-date technology wise thru TidBits as I’m retired and am now 78. Again, best wishes to you (and your farm). Al Porter

3 Likes

You’ve done great work here at TidBITS, Josh. You’ve become so integral to its operation that I’m going to observe what Adam does from this point with great interest. At any rate, best of luck in your new endeavors!

3 Likes

Good luck and God bless, Josh. Thanks for all you’ve done. I hope you enjoy your time with TextExpander.

4 Likes

Good luck and thanks for all the help over the years.

P.S. Great title for a farewell note.

3 Likes

So … is destruction of the planet by the Vogons imminent?
Thank you for your contribution to Apple knowledge and best wishes for your new career.

2 Likes