iOS 26.6.2 and iPadOS 26.6.2 Fix Cellular Software Update Bug

Originally published at: iOS 26.6.2 and iPadOS 26.6.2 Fix Cellular Software Update Bug - TidBITS

Talk about a specific update! Apple last week released updates to iOS 26.6.2 and iPadOS 26.6.2 with no security fixes and a single release note that says:

This update fixes an issue that prevents downloading a software update over a cellular connection.

In its enterprise release notes, Apple was ever so slightly more expansive:

Resolved an issue where software updates performed over cellular would not proceed. To receive the fix, affected devices will need to update using Wi-Fi or a computer.

I have to imagine that this bug is likely enough to cause support calls that Apple felt compelled to push out these tiny updates. The company doesn’t specify what kind of software update is involved, but it’s reasonable to assume it’s concerned about people upgrading to iOS 27 and iPadOS 27. As such, I recommend installing 26.6.2 on your iPhone and iPad before you decide to upgrade to 27, especially if you might need to use cellular data for the upgrade.

Amusingly, this brings iOS and iPadOS back into numerical sync with macOS, which reached 26.6.2 earlier with a security fix that iOS and iPadOS didn’t need.

1 Like

And I see that Apple has just released yet another security update for iOS 26 and iPadOS 26: version 26.7.

From what I can see, this release is strictly security updates (as one would expect). That said, the Apple Support list of fixes in 26.7 is very long.

2 Likes

Hmm. And I can’t see 26.6.2 or 26.7 on my iPhone 16e or my 2025 iPad Air. Guess that’s due to the bug? But I’m on wi-fi! Can only see 27. Nope, not yet.

On my iPhone 15 Pro (with 26.6.1), I’m not offered iOS 26.6.2, just 26.7. It’s a beefy 10.72 GB. iOS 27 is also available.

Wow, iOS 26.6.2 was a very weird update on Apple’s part, given the quick release of iOS 26.7!

1 Like