I’m a Paramedic: Here’s How the Apple Watch Series 4 Will and Won’t Save Lives

(Rich Mogull) #1

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/10/03/im-a-paramedic-heres-how-the-apple-watch-series-4-will-and-wont-save-lives/

The Apple Watch Series 4 promises to detect falls, identify atrial fibrillation, and let wearers take electrocardiograms on demand. Rich Mogull draws on his paramedic training to evaluate how effective each of these technologies is likely to be.

(Steve Werner) #2

Great article, Rich!

(mpainesyd) #3

Thank you for that concise and frank description.

My understanding is that most of these functions are available on ealrlier watches (I have a series 3) and that Series 4 adds the basic ECG function.

(Felix) #4

@ “… make sure they wear it in the shower, when they’re most likely to have an accident. Yes, it’s sufficiently waterproof.”

I was in an Apple Store last weekend sitting at a table waiting my turn with an Apple Genius and overheard one of the Apple techs tell a customer he didn’t recommend showering with the watch on because soap, conditioner and shampoo used when showering deteriorates the watch seals and speaker membrane over time.

In retrospect, I don’t know if the tech was talking about the new AW 4 or a previous generation.

Does Apple have anything formally to say on the subject or was this just one tech’s opinion?

(Doug Miller) #5

Formally. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000 (also true for S4.)

(Doug Miller) #6

I might argue, however, that if somebody is susceptible to a dangerous fall in the shower that taking the risk that soaps might damage the waterproofing may be worthwhile. Also, AppleCare+ covers up to two incidents of water damage like that with a reasonable deductible.

(Felix) #7

Excellent points, Doug. And thanks for Apple’s link on the subject.

(Adam Engst) #8

2 posts were split to a new topic: Mojave: System Language vs Format Language

(michaelcollins) #9

I was knocked off my bike while mountain biking in France - went right over my handlebars. Ugly crash and the Apple watch 4 immediately recognized the crash and kicked into action. I was scraped but nothing serious, but I bought the watch for exactly this feature and it worked perfectly. I was able to stop the Emergency calls.

Great that it works so well. Hopefully you won’t need to discover this like i did…

(David) #10

As a family doc, I sometimes see patients who experience palpitations - an unusual sensation of feeling your heart beat. Separating those patients, for example, who “feel” their heart rate is beating rapidly from those who really do have a rapid rate is not always easy. Sometimes the patient doesn’t count the rate properly, can’t tell if it is regular, etc. If the Apple Watch could provide a reasonable single lead ECG (rhythm strip) for me to review, it would be very useful. The patient might be able to say “What do you think of this, doc?” on their first visit and enable me to accelerate the process of getting the right tests done more quickly.