watchOS alarms annoyance

I bet there’s a use case that Apple doesn’t see as frequently, even though it makes sense for a software engineer.

I am a little confused by what you seem to be describing. On my Watch, the Alarms app saves every defined alarm, but when one is active (i.e. set to make a sound at a given time), the sound can only be stopped by turning it off.

You said you wear yours to bed. I am completely unfamiliar with the “Sleep” app; is that what you use to schedule alarms? And even there, how do you keep your alarm from continuing to sound off once you’re awake?

I’m just trying to make sense of something that sounds counterintuitive to how alarms tend to work, as I’ve never seen an option to set a recurring alarm on the Watch.

On the watch, the alarms have “stop”, (can’t remember what it’s actually called), and, optionally, “snooze” buttons while they are ringing. If you stop it one day, it’ll stop ringing that day but will still ring again the next day for which it’s active. If you snooze it, it’ll ring again in 9 min, (I think), up to some limit that I’ve never explored. (Traditional digital clocks typically ring for an hour, then stop).

Yeah, if you snooze it, then want to turn it completely off, you’d probably have to disable the alarm. I stopped using snooze a long time ago. For me, it just makes it harder to wake up. If you wait for the next snooze to ring and then hit “stop”, it’ll be done ringing for the day but will ring on the next active day.

I do use the sleep app, but that just has a time setting for sleep “focus” combined with an extra alarm. I was using the alarms to wake myself long before the sleep app showed up.

Thanks for that description. The “stop” behavior you describe is different than what I’ve experienced all this time. Tapping “Stop” (or swiping down from the top of the watch face, which is much, much easier) stops the alarm for the day, and tapping “Snooze” keeps it active but sounds again at 9 minutes.

I think the difference is you may have set up a schedule in the Sleep app, so your alarms recur on that schedule. I do not have such a thing set up (I like to sleep, but there’s only so much about my life that I want to hand over to Apple…or maybe there’s so little that I haven’t!). So when I “Stop” an alarm, the Watch remembers that alarm but it is now inactive unless and until I turn it on again. Since my schedule is just irregular enough that I’m never really sure which of 3 or 4 alarms I want to set for the next day, I activate the one I want at night.

Alarms have an optional repeat setting that can be set to never (default), every day, weekdays, weekends, or any of the individual days of the week.

Ah, I see that in the settings dialog. I’ve been so irritated about being brought there against my will that I’ve been completely ignoring what’s there! The only other thing I’ve ever needed to with an park is delete it. As explained above recurring alarms make no sense for my particular situation.

Thanks Doug!