TidBITS-appropriate Black Friday 2023 deals

I’m not a big fan of Black Friday or the capitalist feeding frenzy it ignites, but it’s a big win for many small companies and users can save significant money. If you’ve run across any Black Friday deals that you think TidBITS readers would appreciate—they don’t have to be Apple-specific, but should at least be the sort of tech or accessories that TidBITS might cover—feel free to share them here.

A friend shared this deal on the Telepromptr app that lets you upgrade to the Pro version for free. I think about needing a teleprompter app only every couple of years, so it’s not the sort of thing I’d want to subscribe to, but having one around could be helpful. Perhaps that’s true of you too.

Also, @mjtsai has put his apps, SpamSieve, EagleFiler, and DropDMG, on a 25%-off sale for Black Friday, and he’s also collected a slew of other deals.

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2023/11/21/black-friday-2023/

4 Likes

If any TidBITS people use Xojo, I am having a Black Friday/CyberMonday sale on xDev Magazine and Xojo-related books and articles on xDevLibrary. The entire stores are 20% between Nov. 20 and Nov. 27.

Just use coupon code CYBERMONDAY to get the discounted price during checkout.

For xDev Magazine, this means 20% off subscriptions, renewals, books, bundles, and more! The only limitation is the minimum order amount must be at least $25 and already-discounted bundles (such as the popular “Welcome to Xojo” bundle) are excluded.

http://www.xdevmag.com/orders.shtml

For xDevLibrary, you can save 20% on digital books, articles, tutorials, and more – just about everything offered on the store! Just use coupon code CYBERMONDAY to get the discounted price during checkout.

http://www.xdevlibrary.com

This is a once-a-year sale, but it only lasts through CyberMonday (November 27, 2023). Hurry to take advantage of the great deals!

About xDev Magazine
Formerly Real Studio Developer, xDev Magazine has been publishing since 2002. xDev is an independent bimonthly publication focused on instructing users of the Xojo development environment. Each issue features over 70 pages of quality articles from top Xojo programmers and authors. xDev is renown around the world as the premiere source of Xojo instruction, tutorials, and programming advice.

About xDevLibrary
Formerly RBLibrary, xDevLibrary.com is a site for à la carte purchases of books and articles about Xojo, REAL Studio, and REALbasic. Instead of waiting for a magazine issue to be published, readers can just purchase the articles they’d like immediately. The library covers a vast array of topics for Xojo beginners, experts, and everyone in between with prices starting at under $2.

About Xojo
Xojo, Inc. was founded with the idea that software development should be accessible to anyone. With traditional tools, creating software applications can be a very complicated process, but using Xojo anyone can learn to create high quality, native apps for the desktop, web, mobile, and Raspberry Pi. With users all over the world, Xojo apps can be found in every conceivable category – from commercial software applications to use in governments, universities, businesses, and the Fortune 500. For more information, visit www.xojo.com.

3 Likes

Devon Technologies offers 25% discount on its products, including DevonThink, between Nov 24 and 27.

1 Like
1 Like

VueScan is now a subscription thing? Very disappointing.

From their purchase page:

What are the benefits of the VueScan Subscription vs One-time Payment
Paying for the VueScan Subscription is great if you have a project you want to do or only need to VueScan for a short period of time. It’s also great if you want to receive updates on an ongoing basis. You’ll receive access to the VueScan, as well as all updates, as long as the subscription is active.
The one-time payment option is great if you have occasional needs or don’t care too much about receiving updates. You’ll receive one year of free updates and usage of the version you paid for indefinitely.

2 Likes

DXO and Nik’s Collection are ‘up to’ 50% off.

2 Likes

And ten apps for $58, including three I use every day, Bike, Default FolderX, and Soulver.

2 Likes

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

5 Likes

MacStories has an article about this list of “over 300 indie apps on sale from Black Friday [November 24] through Cyber Monday [November 27]”:

2 Likes

ScanCafe offers 50% off with code SAVEBIG50

1 Like

The Mac email app Postbox has a “name your own discount sale”.

1 Like

I bought VueScan Pro years ago, when upgrades were free indefinitely. I guess that wasn’t sustainable. VueScan lets me use my venerable Polaroid SprintScan 4000+ with OS versions newer than Snow Leopard: I think Silverfsat 6 was the end version for that particular scanner. At least VueScan isn’t tied to one particular scanner, as the Silverfast software is.

I also bought VueScan circa OS X 1.ish? There were basically a “limited” license and a “lifetime” license. I opted for “lifetime” and have noticed no change in the almost too frequent updates (that was not, of course, really a complaint). Unlike, many software updates, I install VueScan updates immediately. The current website info is confusing, but it appears we are at least “grandfathered” in?

Carbon Copy Cloner 6
Cyber Week Sale: 20% off until Dec 1; Upgrade for up to 50% off

1 Like

Take Control Books sale through the end of the month.
https://www.takecontrolbooks.com

From now through November 30, add two or more full-prices titles to your cart and save 50% on all of them. Plus, all upgrades (to new editions of a title you already own) are an extra 25% off

1 Like

Steve Isaacson’s biography of Steve Jobs is on sale at Amazon. If you haven’t already read it, it’s a must buy for yourself as well as for gifts for other users of any Apple products:

https://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Walter-Isaacson/dp/1982176865/ref=sr_1_1?crid=330XUX3YW3DUY&keywords=steve+jobs+by+walter+isaacson&qid=1700950948&s=books&sprefix=steve+jobs+by+walter+isaacson%2Cstripbooks%2C76&sr=1-1

From this FAQ:

“If you have a legacy Professional Edition License issued prior to March 31, 2021, then you have access to free updates indefinitely.”

Both these stood out for me. Too late to help YT but good deals both, I thought. Affinity are offering a 40% discount and RealMac are offering a 60% discount until Friday: Black Friday Sale and Affinity – Professional Creative Software

Luminar 2 year plan sale still going on : Buy Luminar | Skylum?