Surprise! Fujitsu Releases 64-Bit ScanSnap Manager for Older Scanners

Fantastic news! Great article!

Now, does anyone know if new 64-bit ScanSnap Manager update will work with the S500 model?

Oh yes, I am an oldie-but-goodie–I go way back. Actually, my S500 has been a trusty scanner since I purchased it new! Always reliable. Only one “repair.” A normal wear item-the pad assembly needed replacement. Other than that, flawless scanning and a real workhorse all these years!

1 Like

I just upgraded to Monterey and the 32 bit ScanSnap software obviously didn’t work.
I have a ScanSnap S1300.
I downloaded the MacSSInst2WW.dmg and tried to install. I got errors on the installation environment.
I used CleanMyMac to uninstall the old applications (it could find). Still no luck
I tried a different admin level user. No luck.
I tried downloading the individual applications and still got the same error.
I tried Terminal install of the installer app. Fail
I tried Terminal install of the ScanSnap pkg. Fail
Note that ScanSnap folders were still showing up in Terminal even though they were hidden in the app folder.
I tried rm -R ScanSnap and the other two ScanSnap directories. Permission denied.
I finally did a sudo rm -R ScanSnap and the other two ScanSnap directories.
I was able to install the MacSSInst2WW.dmg software. (Success)

Wow, thanks for sharing that story and how you solved it!

Got a new mini M2 and did a clean install of all software. Happy to report that the SnanSnap Manager v7.2 L51 still works fine with my S510M. I downloaded the software from this link:

https://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/dl/setup/m-mgr-v72l51.html?MODEL=

I installed ScanSnap Home but it evidently doesn’t like vintage equipment, so deleted that and installed ScanSnap Manager instead.

2 Likes

Yes it also installed fine on my new M2 MacBook Air. It’s incredible what some updated software and corporate prioritization can do to save our wallets and landfills!

1 Like

I have an S500. I can still access the Manager but the Organizer says that I must update to the latest Manager, which I have, but Organizer will not open.

Any support for this? I am in a Windows 10 and Windows 11 environment; desktop and laptop

Update:

Fujitsu just pushed me a notification about the latest ScanSnap update. Complete release notes are below.

But the key takeaway is that it seems they are finally grandfathering ScanSnap Manager in favor of ScanSnap Home:

New functions will no longer be provided for ScanSnap Manager,

SSH used to lack feature parity with SSM a few years back. I haven’t checked lately to know how much that has changed; if we’re lucky, SSH has caught up, which would make this move sensible. But hopefully SSH maintains support for the older scanner models; the release notes certainly appear to suggest that existing functionality is still intact. I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough.

Full release notes:

ScanSnap Home, the successor to ScanSnap Manager, is an all-in-one software that allows all necessary operations, from scanning documents to managing and using scanned data, to be carried out in one place.

Furthermore, since ScanSnap Home 2.10.0 or later is license-free, it can be used without needing to worry about the number of users and computers to be used.

New functions will no longer be provided for ScanSnap Manager, so to continue enjoying new functions in the future, please try out ScanSnap Home.

I can only guess here. Obviously, try rebooting. If that doesn’t work, try reinstalling. Failing that, try a clean uninstall and then reinstall, with a reboot in between.

Of course, check the release notes to see if your scanner and OS are compatible with that update…

Okay, it turns out we have bad news. Well, it’s at least bad news for me and anyone else with the popular mid-tier S1300 model.

If you look here:

They appear to be classifying their scanner hardware into 3 categories:

1. Current Models
  2. Discontinued scanners
  3. “Models that drivers and software applications are no longer available for”

And under #3, they explain and list:

As the following models are no longer supported, there are no software applications available for these models.

• ScanSnap S1500 / S1500M
  • ScanSnap S300M
  • ScanSnap S500
  • fi-5110EOX
  • ScanSnap S1300
  • ScanSnap S510
  • ScanSnap S500M
  • fi-5110EOXM
  • ScanSnap S300
  • ScanSnap S510M
  • fi-5110EOX2
  • ScanSnap N1800

I’m not exactly sure what they mean by “there are no software applications available”. This iMac with my S1300 is running macOS Ventura 13.2.1 and scanning fine. Are they telling me that if I upgrade to the 13.3 that awaits me that things will break? Or that combination is just not “supported”?

Is anyone else running a ScanSnap S1300 on macOS 13.3? Is it working with ScanSnap Manager?

I’ve found Fujitsu’s communications to be consistent over the many years I’ve been using their ScanSnap scanners: Consistently vague, confusing, and inscrutable. :slight_smile:

I’m currently using an S1300i on 13.2.1. Starting from the page you linked above, I found this page:

https://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/dl/mac-1300-s1300i.html

It seems to be saying that this model is still supported, but that if you “upgrade” from SSM to SSH, there’s no going back. Or at least, that’s the way I read it.

Very interested in this too!

I can only report this:
macOS BigSur 11.7.4. with ScanSnap Manager 7.2.60.1001 on a ScanSnap S1300 runs just fine. Mind you, Fujitsu says that there is no support beyond Mojave 10.14, evidently not true, or not what they mean, because it runs just fine here.

But please note, there appears to be a difference between S1300 and S1300i, the latter is compatible with ScanSnap Home, the former is not. Can’t find the source for this at the moment, but it was somewhere on official ScanSnap support pages.
Fujitsu used to be very good with updates, good information too, but recently getting more and more unclear and confusing.
Also, read here about the sale of the entire Fujitsu Scanner division to Ricoh.
Ricoh buys Fujitsu Scanner business (April 2022)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Certainly doesn’t bode well, and the bad news I shared may be evidence of the beginning of that end. The paper market may be shrinking, but that seems to be happening VERY slowly, and I don’t see it accelerating anytime soon. It doesn’t feel like the digital photography market that practically eliminated film within a decade.

I guess I’ll play wait and see. I only hope that when this scanner is no longer supported, that I can get a similar one. But don’t get too lazy, Ricoh: I might just get by with the “scan” feature on my iPhone if you don’t make your device efficient and affordable!

I’ve installed Ventura 13.3 and my S1500M is still working well…ScanSnap Manager 7.2 L60.

There are different, somewhat confusing version numbers in ScanSnap Manager. Inside the software, via the menu ‘About ScanSnap Manager’ I get 7.2 L60. Going via CMD+i from the Finder I get 7.2.60.1001. Related, but slightly different.

For reference, here is a link that lists what is and what is not compatible. But from the examples in this conversation, we know better.
http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/dl/os.html

Their definition of ‘supported’ seems to differ from what a reasonable person would think it means.

Thanks for that! I’m running the same version of SSM, and your model is in the same discontinued list with mine, so I may take this as a “all clear” to upgrade.

If my 12 year old (and counting) S1300 stops working with the Fujitsu software, I’ll give VueScan and ExactScan a try. . . Either option is less expensive than replacing a perfectly good scanner. A respondent in another thread reports that ExactScan works great, while another unnamed software did not work well for her.

Trusty S1500M here on Big Sur 17.7.7, still running OK on ScanSnap Manager 7/2 L60. Not upgrading anything until it breaks, despite the scare tactics of the message from Ricoh. If/when it does, I’ll move to VueScan/ExactScan. It ain’t broke, so I’m not fixing it.

Looks like ScanSnap Manager has until October 2024.

This is welcome news, I guess: I use my 1300 SnapScan once or twice a year. The software is installed on a 2012 MBP running Mojave, so the 32-bit aspect hasn’t been an issue. But I’m glad to have the option of using it with something running a newer OS. The scanner itself is one of those “just works” devices.

Well, maybe. When you say “1300”, do you mean the iX1300, or the S1300i? If you’ve had it for a while, I’m guessing the latter, and unfortunately ScanSnap Home does not support it.