Surprise! Fujitsu Releases 64-Bit ScanSnap Manager for Older Scanners

Thanks. I’ll try removing Home before I install Manager.

Ah, I see. Yeah this is one reason for me to thus far stick with Finder (Mac) / Files (iOS/iPadOS) Documents folder, synced via iCloud Drive – works very well, I’ve had no syncing issues with tens of thousands of small files across nested folders.

I’ve been going back and forth considering a database app of some sort (not one bound to a certain scanner brand, though!), but have always stopped, as I thought the added complexity of having all files inside the database itself was more bother than it was worth.

Although, for people with large research or sales databases to manage, they may be a useful thing to drill into ones data to find and analyse facts more easily. But for things like home admin (financials, utility bills, etc.), for most users they’re probably more effort than use.

IMO, a strong consistent file/folder naming scheme is key in simple manual Finder folder structures. On mine I use this type of thing…

folders:
financial
bank accounts
2005-present - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - statements

files:
2020.01.03.Fri - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - statement - 2019.12.pdf
2020.02.03.Mon - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - statement - 2020.01.pdf
2020.03.02.Mon - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - statement - 2020.02.pdf
etc.

(the ac# is just the last 4-digits of said account, for brevity.)

This way files/folders sort in order at all times. I don’t rely on the metadata within files to sort by date created/modified particularly, as they can become corrupted or otherwise factually untrue. eg. copy-pasting an original; copy version uses same Date Created metadata, or suchlike, which may not be helpful, or moving file across volumes may change these metadata.

I personally use the day (Mon, Tue…) too, as quite often it’s useful to see why something was not actioned the very next day, when it may have been a Fri so not done until three days later on the Mon or Tue of the next week, and similar. But that’s my meticulousness at play, lol!

I also do a simple plain text “info+comms” .rtf file (RTF can be read by everything) in Text Edit app. (eg. using the bank ac example above: 2005-present - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - info+comms.rtf ). On it, I list the basic facts about the subject (ac#, contact tel, ac open/close date, interest rates, etc.) at the top, with any communications with related people concerned at the bottom, dated & named (eg. 2020.01.21.Mon 13:45, Darren in fulfilment dept tel’d: he completed changing the missing details.).
That way, I can instantly see all comms with them, and don’t have to hunt separate notes out inside apps, and when done with (say on closing an account), simply change “-present” to the closing year “-2020”, and can file the main folder straight into my “archive” folder, with all the info intact. (obviously, I don’t keep secure login info in that file: 1Password gets that!)

The only problem I have with my own system is what I call ‘long file name syndrome’! I considered using abbreviations more, but then both remembering the correct short version, using them constantly, and later using Spotlight or Alfred apps to search, made me stick with mostly full words.

Anyway, hope this may help someone else going paperless.

@jimthing: IIRC, in conversations w/Smile Software, they created the various incarnations of the Nuance software.

I wonder if it was in part so they could license the Nuance intellectual property for conversion of PDF to Word, Excel, etc.

Cheers,
Jon

That’s not what I meant. You should be able to have multiple softwares installed side by side. But only launch one at a time.

OK. But if I’m happy with ScanSnap Manager I imagine that at some point I’ll remove ScanSnap Home.

Yeah, @cwilcox made related comment about this in Oct 2019, see here:

Bummer. I have the S300M, also.

ScanSnap Home didn’t support the S300M, but the new ScanSnap Manager v7 does. I’m actively using it under Mojave and tested it on my MacBook running Catalina. Works as expected on both. From my point of view, everything is the same as it was.

I haven’t tried the new ScanSnap Manager with my S1100 (need to find it first), but I thought someone else in the thread said it worked for them.

There was absolutely no reason to not upgrade to 64bit- other than to fill landfills and make people buy new scanners- or Vue Scan (which I already have- to run a long abandoned Epson flatbed photo scanner).
I’d hooked my S300 up to that computer- which annoyed me.
So happy to be referred to this thread from Macintouch.
Downloaded the driver for the s1300i (it looked the most like the S300) and low and behold- I’ve got a nice little sheet fed scanner again!
Now- I’d even consider buying another Fijitsu product again in the future- which was off the table before. There is no reason to orphan hardware because you don’t want to update your software (datacolor- take note).

1 Like

I got stung by Epson’s unwillingness to update scan software for Catalina. I’ll never buy another Epson product.

I didn’t realize that Epson was also contributing to the 32-bit scanner junk pile.

Hooray! My S510M is now working natively on Catalina after running (admittedly nearly flawlessly under Mojave in VMware) for nearly a year. Now for Big Sur…

Anyone have a direct download link for an updated 5.5 version of ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap. I can’t seem to get it to download from their site.

2 Likes

To clarify: The new version does indeed run under Mojave?

I wondered about testing before making the jump (still held up by transferring my Aperture large library into something usable under Catalina). (Scansnap 1300)

Greetings, Rolf

I am running ScanSnap Manager v7 under Mojave on my Mac mini and I’ve encountered no issues so far. My scanner is older: S300M.

Hi I am using a very old fi - 5110EOXM model and it always worked fine over the years total pages scanned 24,882 That shows how well it has done. I had switched to Exactscap pro which as a few niggles but does work. I installed V7 of the Scansnap software and it all appears functional and has remembered my settings but when I scan although all appears good it does not save a scan 0 pages are shown as being scanned even tough the software goes through its preview etc? Any help appreciated. Simon

Does it give an error message? Were there any errors at install time? Maybe you have to grant full disk access under Security?

I’d also try creating a new ScanSnap Manager Profile and trying it there.

If that doesn’t work, log in to a different User in the Mac and try again.

1 Like

Thanks Dave
No error messages all proceeds as normal but no file is saved.
I will try creating a new profile and logging in via another user.
I did try permissions they include a diagnostic app with it and it checks for permissions and all seems well.
Ill let you know if progress Simon

Made a new Profile - no change
There is a test mode for using a particular app after scanning I use Adobe Acrobat and the test app lets you open a test file from Scansnap into Acrobat - that works OK

Just when scanning nothing is saved even in the preview window it says 0 pages…

Try the new user.

Also try doing a full uninstall and reinstall after you use disk utility to fix permissions and so on.

1 Like

I was about to update Manager (using Sierra), but I received a warning that CardMinder and ScanSnap Receipt will no longer work. Do other users have good substitutes for those programs? Otherwise, does ScanSnap Home have good replacements?