Surprise! Fujitsu Releases 64-Bit ScanSnap Manager for Older Scanners

My main reason for avoiding Catalina was the removal of support for 32-bit applications, and the biggie for me is the ScanSnap software since my attempt to go paperless depends utterly on my S1300. OK, I could afford to junk it and buy something more modern but I don’t like the idea of perfectly functional machinery being thrown out because of software. I’m still running High Sierra.

My experience with the update to V7 was different from Dave’s - it remembered all my profiles, and a brief test showed that it had remembered my main one (scanning individual single sided sheets, performing OCR and saving it in a folder where Hazel could further process them) perfectly. It also did the job on a multi-sheet, double sided batch.

There’s an article on DocumentSnap about backing up profiles:
http://www.documentsnap.com/how-to-backup-your-scansnap-profile-settings-on-the-mac/

Briefly, ScanSnap Manager keeps your settings in ~/Library/Preferences/jp.co.pfu.ScanSnap.V10L10.plist. I found that, before updating, this plist was dated the last time I used my S1300, so I didn’t bother to quit ScanSnap Manager (my S1300 was closed and inactive). I saved a copy and went through the update process, which finishes by asking you to activate your scanner to check for updates. I presume that this action changed the date stamp on the plist because it had changed to today.

I was prepared to copy the original plist back, but there was no need. I’m happy that Fujitsu changed its mind and pleased that, if I replace my 2012 iMac, I will be able to continue to use my S1300.

2 Likes

Sure, but I meant on the machines that support Home and now Manager (eg. iX1500, iX500, et al.)… what’s different?

AFAICT, the articles on this don’t actually say much about said differences.

You wrote:

I’m not sure what the Searchable PDF Converter is

According to the Japanese download page, that is a feature that (used to, but not in V7.0) convert an (existing) already-scanned PDF file into a Searchable PDF file. The page emphasizes that the Convert to Searchable PDF (at the scanning time) feature is still present in V7.0.

2 Likes

re. OCR-ing.

One doesn’t need to use the actual scanning software’s plugin itself to do the OCR (I think they used to use something like an “Abbyy FineReader for Scansnap” plugin for this, or similar, in Manager?). It’s normally much slower in real time anyway, and more fiddly to use afterwards I’ve found.

The iX1500 initially came bundled with “Nuance PDF Converter for Mac” app, then later they changed it to (an almost identical app, so likely just a name change AFAICT!) “Nuance Power PDF for Mac” app. I’ve also got a copy of “PDFpen” (from my Setapp subscription) that shares the same background engine (the Nuance and PDFpen software both look very similar, accordingly).

One thing you can do with most PDF apps is scan a batch first, then later OCR the whole batch (as I think you mentioned you did). Personally, using Home I scan a doc and have it open straight into Nuance Power PDF mentioned above, and set it to immediately scan the doc which is usually v.fast. Although if I have a lot of docs or large docs, I turn it off, and then have the same app OCR the whole batch after.

I personally don’t bother with loads of different “scan to…” locations (email/location 1/location 2/Dropbox/GDrive/etc.), but just have everything scan into a pending folder, to be dealt with (filed/emailed/etc.) by myself later (I file into my document structure in Finder’s Documents folder that’s synced to iCloud thus viewable on all my devices, rather than use a DevonThink database or suchlike).
Although if you’re someone smarter than me (shout out to ‘Mr. Paperless’ magician David Sparks, here!), you could set-up automations for dealing with docs in your pending folder. :wink:

For those interested…

1 Like

Like others with a scanner that supports both (I have an IX500), is there an advantage to going back to ScanSnap Manager from ScanSnap Home, which I’m currently using? I don’t store documents in the ScanSnap software (I use DEVONthink for that), I usually scan to either a searchable PDF file on disk or a searchable PDF directly into DEVONthink.

Just downloaded the new ScanSnap Manager V7 for our S1500M scanner on our 2020 Macbook Pro with Catalina OS and the scanner works just fine quite similar to our other Macs running El Capitain, and High Sierra. Thank you Tidbits for letting this community know about V7!!!

2 Likes

Since I couldn’t run Home, I can’t speak with authority. But…

The Fujitsu features page for ScanSnap Home shows a screen shot that looks like a document manager (similar to DEVONthink). I’m pretty sure that isn’t included in Manager.

If you also need a way to file your scans, this could be useful. For myself, I’m in the process of unpacking my DEVONthink databases into files/folders in the Finder, so another aggregator isn’t helpful.

Crying can be good. It’s cathartic. And Fujitsu has a way of making many of us cry for one reason or another. :sob::joy:

1 Like

We’re all in this together! :sweat_smile:

It’s a good question and I’m also curious.

But before we dive into that, is there anyone who can confirm there’s ANYTHING about ScanSnap Home that is uniquely memorable, in light of ScanSnap Manager’s recent resurrection?

No, I don’t count a document manager, like nealr mentioned, in the scope of features relevant to a scanning app.

So if someone can present a single reason why everyone shouldn’t switch back to Manager, then it might be worth diving deeper into that comparison.

@dave1 - Yep, agree re. doc manager not being necessary. So apart from that ‘feature’, go ahead and enlighten us with the differences. :grinning:

@neilr - Out of interest, why are you in the process of unpacking your DevonThink databases into files/folders in the Finder? I was actually considering going the other way, so would be interesting to know.

Glad it worked for you!

I only had one test case to work with so it’s entirely possible my setup had some oddball fluke affecting it.

And thanks for your techie insight!

I don’t get much utility out of DEVONthink because I don’t really want it to manage organization of my files, so I’m not really using its features. I found myself creating databases for kinds of things (utilities, financials, school, work) and then creating a folder structure in those databases. I don’t see a specific benefit over just having those folders exist underneath my Documents. I tend to know where any particular file should be, but now I have the added layer of opening the database first.

I originally used DT for its OCR capabilities, but my dissatisfaction brought me to PDFpen. When I started to notice that PDFpen was turning out huge files, I tried the OCR built into ScanSnap Manager and found that it worked just fine for my needs and created smaller files. So now I’m that much further removed from my original use for DEVONthink.

I played with the DT3 beta when I first looked at moving to Catalina and abandoned it because they changed how the file tree displayed and I really disliked it.

1 Like

Delighted to be able to start using my trusty S1100 that Fujitsu gave me in 2011. Always reliable and always easily packable now playing happily with Catalina.
Fujitsu deserve an environmental accolade for lengthening the life of their old equipment.
Cheers, Nick

If I install Manager should I remove Home? If I leave both installed and I invoke a scan from the scanner, how does it know which program to run?

I have not tried Home but I have tried Manager alongside other third party products. And it seems that only one software can bind to the scanner at a time at runtime. When you launch the second app, it complains that the scanner is in use or some such.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try removing Home before I install Manager.

Ah, I see. Yeah this is one reason for me to thus far stick with Finder (Mac) / Files (iOS/iPadOS) Documents folder, synced via iCloud Drive – works very well, I’ve had no syncing issues with tens of thousands of small files across nested folders.

I’ve been going back and forth considering a database app of some sort (not one bound to a certain scanner brand, though!), but have always stopped, as I thought the added complexity of having all files inside the database itself was more bother than it was worth.

Although, for people with large research or sales databases to manage, they may be a useful thing to drill into ones data to find and analyse facts more easily. But for things like home admin (financials, utility bills, etc.), for most users they’re probably more effort than use.

IMO, a strong consistent file/folder naming scheme is key in simple manual Finder folder structures. On mine I use this type of thing…

folders:
financial
bank accounts
2005-present - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - statements

files:
2020.01.03.Fri - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - statement - 2019.12.pdf
2020.02.03.Mon - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - statement - 2020.01.pdf
2020.03.02.Mon - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - statement - 2020.02.pdf
etc.

(the ac# is just the last 4-digits of said account, for brevity.)

This way files/folders sort in order at all times. I don’t rely on the metadata within files to sort by date created/modified particularly, as they can become corrupted or otherwise factually untrue. eg. copy-pasting an original; copy version uses same Date Created metadata, or suchlike, which may not be helpful, or moving file across volumes may change these metadata.

I personally use the day (Mon, Tue…) too, as quite often it’s useful to see why something was not actioned the very next day, when it may have been a Fri so not done until three days later on the Mon or Tue of the next week, and similar. But that’s my meticulousness at play, lol!

I also do a simple plain text “info+comms” .rtf file (RTF can be read by everything) in Text Edit app. (eg. using the bank ac example above: 2005-present - Blahblah Bank - ac 1234 - info+comms.rtf ). On it, I list the basic facts about the subject (ac#, contact tel, ac open/close date, interest rates, etc.) at the top, with any communications with related people concerned at the bottom, dated & named (eg. 2020.01.21.Mon 13:45, Darren in fulfilment dept tel’d: he completed changing the missing details.).
That way, I can instantly see all comms with them, and don’t have to hunt separate notes out inside apps, and when done with (say on closing an account), simply change “-present” to the closing year “-2020”, and can file the main folder straight into my “archive” folder, with all the info intact. (obviously, I don’t keep secure login info in that file: 1Password gets that!)

The only problem I have with my own system is what I call ‘long file name syndrome’! I considered using abbreviations more, but then both remembering the correct short version, using them constantly, and later using Spotlight or Alfred apps to search, made me stick with mostly full words.

Anyway, hope this may help someone else going paperless.

@jimthing: IIRC, in conversations w/Smile Software, they created the various incarnations of the Nuance software.

I wonder if it was in part so they could license the Nuance intellectual property for conversion of PDF to Word, Excel, etc.

Cheers,
Jon

That’s not what I meant. You should be able to have multiple softwares installed side by side. But only launch one at a time.