macOS 10.15.5 Update Adds Battery Health Management

It’s certainly worth a try first! It hadn’t helped the other guy who wrote to me.

Hi, as I stated earlier when i tried alI key commands. I tried first the SMC reset. My Battery indicator now says Service recommended, whereas before it said something else (replace soon) Ok I know it’s five years old, but I believe the new update has a bug that tells the boot bios my battery isn’t sufficient enough to power on because it’s too old. Any Ideas?

I doubt that the the batter indicator relies on battery age alone to make its recommendations. I have heard from a few others that new new change in 10.15.5 gave them a different status, but I think it’s far more likely that this was a refinement in the diagnostic process rather than a bug. In any case, what you need to do is take it to an Apple service location (if you can find one that’s open these days) and have them use their testing facility to properly diagnose the problem. They’ll give you an estimate if repairs are indicated and you can then decide what to do next.

Al Varnell, most likely a new battery replacement. I’m not a fan of the genius bar apple engineers though. Thanks for your well considered reply. Last night the battery level was around 23% I closed the lid, putting it into sleep mode unplugged and this morning no power. I again opened the back, unplugged the battery and re-plugged it, replaced the back and screws, turned it over held the power with power cord attached ( I tried without the power cord and it doesn’t power on) and it restarted showing 19% power in the battery. I will not let it sit overnight again without a power cord attached, until I replace the battery and hopefully fix this issue.