Login keyboards

I thought I would pass this on to this August, probably aging, group.

As I try to make my logins more secure, I am using Alpha numerics. However, as I age, I get more of a tremor, and it makes it more difficult to hit those small keys accurately. I would like to recommend to Apple that when the screen is rotated, the keyboard is also rotated so that the keys are actually a bit larger for those of us who have tremors be able to more accurately enter our passwords.

Paul

6 Likes

There is at least one virtual keyboard that you can use instead, that may give you more of what you need. Look for “gboard” in the App Store, if you are OK with a keyboard made by Google. It appears in your list of keyboards. (English, Emoji, etc.)

It’s not just the keyboard, if you’re talking about phones and tablets. Once upon a time I read or saw something (not Apple?) about an accessibility setting that would be more forgiving for accidental sideways movements, which is a big problem for people with tremor like me. I’ve written to Apple Suggestions a couple of times asking for some sort of accessibility item to help with tremor. No joy that I know of.

My way around this is to use a longer custom numeric code. That way I can have enhanced security beyond the standard six-digit code and yet I still have the big number pad I can use quickly and without error.

While not as secure as a custom alphanumeric, it is pretty secure and a lot easier and less fidgety. With nine digits, for example, the chances of getting it randomly are one in one billion (or one in 100 million if you give the thief the full ten tries before erasure).

I actually have a 12-digit code on my iPhone, which I’ve learned by muscle memory and is very easy to put in. Of course, with a computer keyboard, it’s different story, and there I do use alphanumeric.

2 Likes

To be honest, I have not looked at that keyboard yet, but I shutter at the idea of having another company passing keystrokes onto the keyboard in the login screen. It seems like a perfect set up to be for a security breach.

Paul.

Yeah, the fact that Google makes it is not a point in its favor. But maybe there are other third party keyboards. If you can stand the App Store (I can’t), have a look around.

“I shutter at the idea of having another company passing keystrokes onto the keyboard in the login screen. It seems like a perfect set up to be for a security breach.”

It’s not an issue, because unless things have quietly changed in ios 17, you can’t use a third party keyboard for the login screen, or to enter any apple passcode or password.

In principle, third party keyboards also need your explicit permission to read what you type. ‘Allow full access’ can provide extra features, but if you just want a plain non-standard keyboard it’s safe barring an exploit.