Import CSV into Quicken for Mac

I use Quicken for Mac (Version 6.12.2) on my iMac (macOS 12.6.3) and want to import data that’s formatted as comma-separated values (CSV). Unfortunately, Quicken for Mac imports transactions only from .qfx files

I searched Quicken’s support site and there is no indication of how to convert .csv → .qfx. I also couldn’t find any conversion software on Apple’s App Store.

Yes, Google identifies some applications and services to do such a conversions but I’m wary of trusting either based just on finding it on the Internet. Yes, ProperConvert looks promising but its price is steep.

Can anyone suggest away to convert a .csv file to .qfx?

Thank you.

1 Like

I didn’t see your edit when I came here; yes, ProperConvert is probably the one. I used an older version of their software, CSV2OFX, for a while when Apple Card was only providing CSV files. (I have used See Finance and now MoneyDance, which can both import OFX, though actually both can import CSV files, too, and it’s not too hard to set the imports up for each app.)

So maybe the cheapest solution is to convert to one of those two apps (both can import a QIF file export from Quicken; that’s how I first started using MoneyDance 15 or so years ago, or you can keep Quicken for historical data and then just start from January with one of those apps.)

It would be interesting to know how these tools work. Specifically, how they inject the vendor information that this Wikipedia article (reader beware) claims the QFX format needs:

A QFX file is a standard OFX file with additional fields to support a licensing fee paid by institutions to Intuit. […] Intuit’s Quicken software will only import QFX files where the providing institution has paid the fee…

If this is simple to do, then working backwards from an example OFX file provided by a vendor approved by Quicken you might be able to write your own export script from Excel, etc.

Apparently, Quicken for Mac supports importing transaction data from Mint CSV files:

My credit card company’s format is:
date, id, amount, description

Apparently, Mint’s CSV format is either:

Date,Payee,FI Payee,Amount,Memo?,Category
10/01/2010,Target,POS PURCHASE(TARGET CITY),-19.07,MEMO?,Household Supplies

Or

Date,Description,Original Description,Amount,Transaction Type,Category,Account Name,Labels,Notes
1/23/2015,Bookstore Invoice,Bookstore Invoice,12.34,debit,Office Supplies,,,

Can anyone suggest a good application for munging my credit card’s file into one or both of the Mint formats?

UPDATE February 18, 2023 11:02 PM

Perhaps @ace has some ideas on where to start given his experience manipulating columnar data in BBEdit.

Just do it manually in Excel? (I do this monthly with a CSV that I generate with a Chrome plugin that grabs order data from Amazon, so I can enter in more detailed info into my credit card account before I download their QFX file - which has more than just Amazon purchases, but at least the transaction payee isn’t AMZN MKTP US* with a random number after it.)

1 Like

The screenshot you posted suggests Quicken can import OFX files. You could try using some other financial software which can import transactions from the CSV file and export those same transactions in OFX.

@ddmiller’s suggestion of just doing it manually using spreadsheet software is probably the most straightforward though.

1 Like

Hi Nello,
I spent 20 minutes looking at the Mint.com site and could not find information about import/export data capability. This didn’t surprise me when I read that Intuit purchased Mint. When Intuit offered up the new Quicken after the bankruptcy of the original Quicken, all the old Quicken.com support info, knowledgebase, and the hosted forum were deleted. I suspect Mint is not being supported/improved as other accounting apps are. And why would they want to cut into the Quicken revenue?

Mint has no general search function on the home page which is odd. There is one on the forum page but not helpful. I’ve never seen so many white spaced pages that describe the obvious features that all accounting apps have but really say nothing.

So let’s start with the Mint export types first. Since I don’t use Mint, eyeball your Mint menus to see if Import/Export is shown. For example, my Citi card export page shows CVS, Txt (tab-delimited), QFX (a defunct proposed standard for banking), OBO (QuickBooks, na), and OXF the current banking standard accepted by a consortium of banks and Quicken (the licensing fees QFX required were a show-stopper for the banks).

If one of these formats (QFX or OFX) are supported, then I’d recommend you abandon Mint for a more modern, powerful application. I am working with Banktivity, MoneyDance (only QIF/OFX file import), and See Finance on a conversion project to import 10 years of 30 yrs old data. I too reviewed these conversion apps and many had “yes, but…” phrases, like doesn’t handle investments and/or splits.

Any app you choose should support OFX.

Do you have Investment data to convert?

I can help you with this but I need to know the export capabilities of Mint.
We can work offline from Tidbits since this is a personal problem.

Pls advise MIke Noonan mrnoonan@yahoo.com

PS, if only the one credit file data is involved I see this as a 10-column Excel conversion where you need to add the category. Need to determine what ID is.

Your answer is perhaps here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7303280/

And this tool to convert to Mint CSV https://www.propersoft.net/csv2csv/

Mike:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

I guess that I wasn’t clear. I am NOT a Mint user; I’m a Quicken for Mac user.

My hunt is to import transactions into Quicken without using Intuit’s servers; I just don’t feel comfortable having my data travel through their servers. Some financial institutions provide .qfx files directly to their customers and I import such files with no problems. Unfortunately, others offer only their own flavor of .csv files, which Quicken will not import.

Interestingly, Quicken supports importing .csv files exported by Mint. So, I’m trying to transform my ad hoc .csv files into Mint imposters. For more information on the Mint .csv file format, see:

Thanks again for you offer to help. I may come back to you later, but for now I think I’m fine. I may be back.

Matt:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Yes, I’ve found both these resources. If you are interested, you can follow my adventures here:

Thank you again.

1 Like

Hi Nello,

I want to back up the train a little bit. You mention “…to import transactions into Quicken without using Intuit’s servers…”.

I could write up a response but it will be faster if we talk via phone or Facetime.

I’m in Southern Calif in Orange county and retired so I’m here all day most days. I’m a nite owl and the evening w/b be a good time to talk.

I think you misunderstanding about how all the accounting apps import user financial data.

please call. Regards. Mike Noonan

It turns out that importing a Mint CSV (imposter) into Quicken does not solve my problem because this Quicken import feature is designed to be for moving from Mint → Quicken, not for repeatedly loading transactions into Quicken.

I apologize for whatever wild goose chase I sent anyone on as a result of my misunderstanding.

Thank you for your help.

I found several applications with the name CSV2OFX,

Python

Java

It was from ProperSoft, which have replaced it with their new app. Convert CSV/XLS/XLSX to OFX - CSV2OFX - ProperSoft

I have no idea about those other apps that you linked.

Rather than wrestle with converting a .csv → .oxf, I’m just going to switch credit cards to one that makes .qfx downloads available.

Problem solved, along with several collateral benefits.

I just posted my discoveries in order to help someone else following in my miserable path.

1 Like

Right, I’m having the same issue with Discover Card. Their customer service claims that QFX is a proprietary format owned by Quicken so they can’t use it and must instead go through Quicken online. I don’t use Quicken. I have a few other credit cards that all use QFX, and there is also OFX, an open standard, anyway. So, I just don’t use the Discover Card anymore. Their loss, not mine.

Hey folks, here is my situation.

I have historically used Quicken. But when I switched from pc to mac, quicken was not cutting it. I tried a few alternatives and finally landed with Banktivity, which is OK.

Anyways, while helping a family member with a huge court case, I had to pull all her banking transactions for every bank 3 years - DONE. Since I have it in excel I want to get her on a financial program (quicken or Banktivity).

I’m struggling with finding a converter tool. Yes there is proper soft which as mentioned is pricey. I only need this ONE time then i’m done. I guess I could get the monthly then cancel after conversion.

Just wondering if there are any realistic and not as costly (free better) conversation tools. Banktivity will accept the basic ones (gif, webconnect).

Thoughts?

Did you read my (several) posts in this Topic about importing csv into Mint and then transferring to Quicken? (This wasn’t a solution for me because it is a complete transfer—not a sync—but it sounds perfect for your one-time conversion.)

I saw it but as I didn’t have mint, i may have glossed over it. I will take a look at assuming mint.com or the app Mint - Thanks

Even better, the version of Banktivity I use does support csv as an import file. Of course I will have to figure out the mapping etc. This could be a great option - create 3 new banks (for her) import then export out as a qfx qif etc