Import CSV into Quicken for Mac

Does Banktivity EXPORT a CSV file? If so, export a few transactions and then compare the mapping.

Apparently doing the mapping in ver 5 was pretty easy, just select from a dropdown list.

I tried it out with one transaction. The import overall went well. The category field from csv did NOT come into Banktivity (despite checking that one as to be brought in)

I heard back from Banktivity. The reason my categories did not pull in with csv import was that they need to be added ahead of time (manually).

This is a JOKE as I have hundreds or more transactions. To add each category manually first in insane. They said there is a request to add this feature, but i’m not holding my breath.

I guess my only option is to pay for proper soft (monthly), convert and then cancel.

Wish there was another (easy and sure free (it not cheaper)) way to do this. I don’t need this re-occuring

Did you try importing your .csv file(s) into Mint (and then exporting your entire Mint account to a .csv file, which can be transferred into Quicken)?

mint the app or mint.com?? - i dont have an acct there. Kinda hate having accounts all over the place if i’m not going to use them

Will re-look into that THANKS

They are the same and free, so if it solves your problem, why would you not use it?

1 Like

What’s your concern with having low-use/one-time website accounts? They are just entries in your password manager. (You do use a password manager to make sure that all your passwords are long, complex, and unique, right? :wink:)

Perhaps the benefit of using Mint as a pass-through for your .csv files on their way to Quicken isn’t clear. The only .csv files that Quicken will import are those that match the format created by Mint. Presumably Quicken does this in order to poach customers from Mint.

If you don’t what to use Mint as an intermediate then you can massage your existing .csv files so that look like they came from Mint and import these imposters into Quicken. If you’re technical then you can write a script to do the massaging.

As a a proof of concept before you start massaging your files, grab the data from this page (that I linked to above in this Topic), put it into a .csv file, and import it to Quicken:

First of all to answer your question of why I hate having random accounts out there - one reason is if there is a security breach just another site to need to login and change PW.

Anyways, when I get to mint.com it don’t see what you see. I see an import from bank page. Looks like it wants me to set up an acct. I have a screenshot but it wont let me upload.

I was thinking this is not going to solve my problem either. Once I import back into Banktivity the category will not import for the reason mentioned above (has to be manually created in Banktivity first). So doesn’t matter which tool I use to create the csv

Thanks none the less

Ok. I totally misunderstood your objective.

I thought that you wanted to import the three years of data into Quicken because this Topic is about getting .csv data into Quicken and you said:

Since I have it in excel I want to get her on a financial program (quicken or Banktivity).

Quicken imports .csv files only if they are formatted like Mint .csv exports. So, if you re-format the three years of data to look exactly like a Mint export then they can be imported directly into Quicken.

There is no intermediate step of importing the three years of data into Mint. (I wasn’t clear that neither a Mint account nor a Mint import is part of the process.)

And there is no intermediate step of importing the three years of data into Banktivity (so categories need not be created in Banktivity as part of getting the data into Quicken).

But apparently you want to get the three years of data into Banktivity.

That is a completely different problem and this Topic is not relevant to solving it.

Sorry.