Thank you Luke :)
Updatest is probably my closest competitor. Currently Floodtide focuses more on the security of updates as it keeps a backup of each app and allows you to restore it.
A couple of comments.
- Today after downloading and installing an update to Sync, there was a notification from Privacy and Security saying Floodtide has been prevented from modifying your Mac, or words to that effect. I looked in Privacy and Security in case there was something to permit Floodtide to do, but found nothing. Sync was not updated, and on checking for updates, no update is found. Indeed, the latest download at sync.com is the installed version. I have never seen that notification before.
- When Floodtide finds an update to itself it sometimes takes two goes to install. It shows me the update dialog, I click on Download and Install, and Floodtide reopens showing the same update still available. I check the version in About Floodtide, and it is unchanged. So I click again on Update, go through the motions and when Floodtide reopens the second time it has been updated. This is not a deal breaker, but some users might think they have updated when they have not.
Thank you for letting me know, I will get on it
1.3.3 seems to have fixed #2.
Thank you. I have tried the other suggested alternatives to MacUpdater and found them confusing or requiring more expertise than I have. Floodtide is the best I have seen and it does the job very well.
Does your app’s backup/restore feature offer anything I can’t do with Time Machine?
I was also an happy user of MacUdater…
As of today, I’m using TapHouse. Very good alternative.
But I’ll try Floodtide asap.
Let me know your feedback!
Not a replacement for Time Machine, and it isn’t trying to be. Floodtide keeps a copy of the app itself (not your documents or settings) right before each update, so you can undo that update in one click for 7 days, even if your backup drive wasn’t connected when it ran. It can also install an older version the developer still publishes, which Time Machine can’t do if it never saw that version. Keep Time Machine for your data; Floodtide’s copy is there to undo an update that went wrong.
This is really nice to know
I think your have misunderstood. I can restore the previous version from my Time Machine.
From Floodtide’s Discord:
Coming soon: an optional £9.99 a year add-on that adds about 50 new apps to Floodtide every week. Everything Floodtide updates today stays free.
Does this mean that only apps currently updated will be updated in the future if I decline to pay for a subscription on top of the license fee I paid nine days ago?
Nothing about the app stops working. And current license holders will get a year of the tide for free or atleast 50% off with 3 months to test it out. this is undecided. This feature is not confirmed as I really want more feedback before I proceed. If you do not buy it, Floodtide will work exactly the same and will not be compromised.
Bait and switch if true, and I’ll be asking for a refund.
“DISCLAIMER: This feature is not confirmed I would really like to know everyones thoughts. This feature is purely additional and does not compromise the current licenses. You still get new apps added to coverage regardless.” Also from the discord which was not added in. The feature is not confirmed. If people are unhappy with it. I will not build it. It is purely additional nothing about what you bought stops working.
So my permanent license turns into a one year license? That’s a subscription by any other name.
It’s your app and you can do what you like with it, but if you do that I shall return to Updatest.
No, not at all. The tide is purely additional. You still keep your license regardless. Nothing has changed about that. The only subscription is the OPTIONAL new feature. You are not losing anything. Nothing about your current license will change. Floodtide will stay a lifetime purchase
Also Updatest will be adding similiar optional subscription
But only for currently existing Mac apps? Otherwise what is the benefit of the subscription?