Disappearing Folders on Sidebar

I have been using the Sidebar in Finder for years to hold locations that I go to frequently. In the last couple of months, I have noticed items disappearing overnight, even my checked Finder preferences. It began with the location for Desktop disappearing, but now random items disappear after a few days. I looked back into previous discussions on this same topic but didn’t see any obvious solutions. Has anyone figured out how to stop this from happening? It seems to be getting worse as time goes by.

I’ve seen the same thing.
Not since I’ve gone to 14.3.1 - but certainly earlier versions of Sonoma.
Don’t think it happened in Ventura.
David

I’m using Ventura 13.6.4 on a 2021 M1 iMac. The strange part is that only some of the favorites disappear and each time it seems I lose different ones. Even the checked preferences get ‘unchecked’ and don’t show.

I’ve seen that too and on many versions of macOS over the years. Quite frustrating. I keep a text file describing how I like it set up so I can put it back when things disappear. I have never figured out why this happens.

For favorites, try deleting or renaming ~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.FavoriteItems.sfl2, then relaunch the Finder (option right-click Finder in Dock > Relaunch). Then add your favorites back and see if they stick.

Checked Finder preferences (Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Show these items in the sidebar) are stored elsewhere.

Not directly relevant here but I did accidentally close the Sidebar Favourites recently by inadvertently clicking on its down arrow ( V ). I thought I had lost them but then discovered that > restored them.
finder_favorites
The confusing thing is that the word “favourites” is grayed out so I assumed it was inactive.

1 Like