CarPlay and hearing aids question

Is anyone who uses hearing aids having any problems with CarPlay?

My wife and I use CarPlay a lot but both of us have been experiences lately.
The car is a 3 year old Vauxhall Corsa-e. (We are in the UK)
Connection is via USB.
Lately when my wife connects her iPhone (fully up to date) CarPlay connects, displays the screen, then promptly disconnects.
With my Phone (also fully up to date) CarPlay randomly connects or disconnects. There’s no regular pattern that we can discern.
One thing that is regular - in fact it’s every time, is when a phone call comes in or when I make a call.
In the past an incoming call would come through the cars system , and similarly, an outgoing call would do the same.
Now I wear hearing aids that are bluetoothed to my phone.
If I initiate a call using CarPlay, it instantly switches the call to my ears, and at the end of the call the music (which is originating from the phone) starts to play through my ears and not the car.
When a call comes in, CarPlay displays the info, but as soon as I accept the call it instantly switches to my ears and the music continues as above when the call ends.
The quick fix is to briefly disconnect the USB and plug in back in.

Last week we took delivery of a brand new Kia EV3. CarPlay in this is by bluetooth.
I have exactly the same problem with calls. However there is no way to reestablish the connection to CarPlay after a call. the only way I have found so far, is the turn the car off and restart it!
This is seriously inconvenient when i am on my own on a motorway.

We can’t recollect this happening before iOS18 went on the phones.

Have any other hearing aid users had similar issues, and what have you done about it?

Yep, happens in my 2019 Honda Fit with a Car2Play wireless Carplay adapter. I find that I have to go into the Music app on the phone and re-select Carplay to get it back on the Fit’s speakers. My hearing aids are Phonak if that matters, I use an iPhone 14 Pro.

I see similarly flaky behavior on our 2018 Kia Sedona minivan. After a while, it became obvious that the USB connector itself is the flaky component. Eventually, it stopped connecting altogether.

Unfortunately, Kia wants a ridiculous amount of money to replace what should be a cheap generic part (a USB type-A receptacle on a cable), and my wife doesn’t want me hacking around inside the car to make my own part using a connector from DigiKey (which will certainly be better quality). So that car today only uses Bluetooth and analog line-in for audio (and no CarPlay at all).

I have Phonak hearing aids that I have set to automatically connect to my phone (iPhone 12 Pro Max) via Bluetooth, and wired CarPlay in my 2018 Kia Optima. Never had the issue you’ve described. Calls stay in the car audio, and don’t switch to my hearing aids at all.

I also use an AirFly Pro in my 2007 Dodge Caliber (it’s much too old to have built-in CarPlay, or even an infotainment screen, and I don’t think it’s worth the cost to add a screen), and it correctly switches audio back to my hearing aids for calls, then returns to the AirFly after I end the call.

This is interesting. As I mentioned before, that’s how it used to work. When a call came in, the passenger (usually my wife) could join in. Now she can’t as I’m the only one hearing the incoming chat.

I was out in the Kia this evening collecting my wife.
I had a long track by Freddie Hubbard playing. I initiated a call to let her know that I was minutes away. The car said “Calling…….” Then promptly switch to my aids. When I hung up Freddie was playing in my ears.
I was able to use the music app in the phone to switch it back after I parked.
I wouldn’t want to try that while I’m driving.

Too many strangish thngs (e.g., inconsistent volume settings) made it necessary to disconnect my Bluetooth connection from my Starkey hearing aids to my Prius.

No more music (or other media) through my phone; although I continue to be able to use the My Starkey app on my iPhone to control the Starkeys. But there’s no confusion: once the iPhone connects (automatically) to the car, activating CarPlay, music and phone call audio comes through the car’s speakers. I enjoy the simplicity of that, and sharing all the audio with whoever is in the car with me.