Apple Releases iOS 15.4, iPadOS 15.4, macOS 12.3 Monterey, watchOS 8.5, tvOS 15.4, and HomePod Software 15.4

Thanks for the suggestions, Doug. These measures have been suggested previously. Virtually all the background app refreshes are off and I’ve already restricted some apps, but the problem is more basic: I haven’t changed my pattern and amount of use of the iPad when I activated 15.4. I’m doing exactly what I did previously. The apps I use most and least haven’t changed and the amount of time I spend on the iPad hasn’t changed.
But whereas before 15.4 a battery charge would last a full day with some left over, I now have to plug in by 2 or 3 p.m. The difference is dramatic. I am increasingly convinced there is a problem with 15.4 itself.
Best,
Jon Levine

Jonathan Levine
9509 Ridgeway Ave.
Evanston, IL 60203
Cell:312-543-3661

[edit: see my next reply before doing what’s listed below…]

It’s definitely not universal in 15.4, because my iPad Air and iPhone are not seeing these issues. I do know that people sometimes get these random and sudden battery drain behaviors like this with iOS and iPadOS and probably the next thing to try (if you haven’t already) is to make sure that you have an iCloud or an encrypted iTunes/computer backup (if not both, just in case) and do a factory reset and restore from backup. When doing this, just like when getting a new device the first day or two can have bad battery life as the iPad finishes its setup and indexing, etc., but then see if battery life is closer to what it was before. I think the theory of this as a solution is that the sudden battery decrease is caused by some system process that has a corrupted database that causes it to get in an abnormal state that can’t be fixed by any other means than the erase and restore cycle.

It may also be worth calling AppleCare and see what they suggest, if for no other reason to let Apple know that there may be an issue with iPadOS that needs fixing.

Never mind the above comment (I hope it’s not too late.) Apple has released iOS 15.4.1 and one of the update bug fixes listed is “battery may drain more quickly after 15.4 update.” I’m not sure if iPadOS 15.4.1 is available, but I’d try installing that if and when it is available and see if that does solve the battery drain for you.

Thanks VERY much. Just checked— 15.4.1 is available also for iPad. And thanks generally— Your suggestions are very much appreciated— and they’re in English (as opposed to computereze) to boot!

and iPadOS, macOS 12.3.1 & watchOS 8.5.1 primarily as a Security Updates and “Apple is aware of a report that [these] issue[s] may have been actively exploited.” so all eligible users should update quickly.

1 Like

I use indigo, and it’s mission critical. The developers say that just including Python 2 doesn’t work. They thought they had until the end of the year to upgrade everything to Python 3, because Apple typically doesn’t make such big changes at the first decimal-place version level (so they thought they had until 13.0). Indigo is mostly written in C++, but major portions of it are in python, including all the user scripts. Furthermore there is an extensive library of user-provided plugins that are all written in Python 2.x. Each such developer has to upgrade all of their code to 3.0. Meanwhile I am stuck. What do I do about these zero-day exploits that are patched in 12.3.x versions. I sure wish Apple would release their security updates as separate installable packages for people like me.

While I can understand the frustration of Apple not documenting exactly when they would drop python2, I can’t stop thinking of a line from an Indiana Jones movie: “He chose… poorly. “

Python 2 was announced to be sunset by the python developers as of January 1, 2020, with a strong recommendation to move code to python 3. Two years ago.

Apple put items in the Catalina release notes warning of the deprecation of scripting languages in future releases and that if developers needed them they should bundle them with their product. There was also a warning to stop using Python 2.7. That too was well over 2 years and two major releases ago.

You know what happens when you assume…