What's your Mac desk look like?

Why not? Always enjoy a good procrastination excuse, and I can participate without mess guilt after cleaning up the constant multiple projects that are always across the desk to focus on scanning old family photos (a seemingly neverending project).

Clockwise from Leftt:
M1 MBPro 14" in a BookArc stand connected to:

• Dell U3223QE - also acts as dock (power, monitor, USB, and ethernet all through single TB connection). Upgraded from a U3219Q for integrated ethernet, my third ultrasharp and very happy with all (also have a Dell 2405 going on 15+ years Shamino)
  • Acasis external drive

Hoverbar Duo - used for both iPhone and iPad
Powerbeats - use in office occasionally, but mostly chosen for exercising

2019 iMac 5k - used as 2nd computer (and Mac Intel testing) and as second monitor to MBPro with Luna Display

Epson Perfection V850 - current photo/slide scanning project (recent upgrade but loving it). Also sometimes in that spot:

• Nikon Coolscan 5000 for more important slides (amazing how much these are worth still)
  • Fujitsu Scansnap S510M - used with the iMac (was using a 2013 MBAir, but now using older macOS in VM Fusion, still working great!)

Logitech MX Keys - used with both computers directly (supports 3 devices) and using Continuity across Macs
Apple Magic Trackpad - used with MBPro (and with Continuity)
Logitech M720 Triathalon - used with iMac (but supports 3 devices as well)

Various watercolors - vanity comment from proud son; have always been part of my workspaces

The edge of a very old JVC bookshelf stereo system can also be seen and is hooked up to the Dell. If my phone is near it is constantly crackling/buzzing. If anyone has suggestions for that, I’ve never found a definitive answer on what will solve it (shielded speaker wire, ferrite rings, etc).

Not visible:

I’ve thought about moving to a standing desk but this beautiful Pompanoosuc Mills desk was “gifted” when I bought the house because it was too difficult to move. I like L-shaped desks (esp for things like scanners) and one of these days I’ll finish a new desk I started from some craigslist slabs and mount on a standing desk frame:

I was just going to do a straight diagonal cut to join, but then someone convinced me to keep the natural curved edge between the pieces. So one day when I’m feeling confident/lucky I won’t screw that up…

Somewhat related, but curious how common it to use other Macs/iDevices in other locations in their homes. Don’t mean laptops moving around, but shared permanent setups such as headless servers or shared space computers etc.

3 Likes

Been a trackball user since my Amiga days, my colleague thought it was a medical device! Mainly on trackpads now though…

My wife has the same strategy. She picked up something on Etsy she can adjust, multiple shelves.

I have two of the same scanners, the Epson v850 and the Fujitsu S510M. Both great.

OK, now I better understand what you mean by having to modify your work station. I’m glad that you moved the desk thread but I’m surprised that my original post and subsequent discussion didn’t make the trip as well. I am enjoying seeing other “unique” creative spaces.

My desk is an electric UpDesk sit/stand model that I got in 2013. My work space is nothing special so no pic from me.

I’ve had back issues for over 20 years (hence my “too early for me” retirement) and after struggling with various tables, desks, chairs (sitting & kneeling), etc. I got the UpDesk. I had to give up stock iMacs because of their lack of height adjustment; my neck does not do well with me looking up even a couple of inches.

In my experience height adjustment is also necessary with a standing desk so I can keep the display at its best-for-me ergonomic position. I also needed to be able to sit and stand since I could not do either for more than 30 minutes at a time.

FWIW, I had 2 spinal surgeries in late 2022 and my back issues are 95%+ resolved and still improving. Such things are inherently risky but in my case it really paid-off. I only share this info to maybe provide some hope to others who are suffering and are rightfully hesitant regarding an allopathic surgical intervention.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Oh, sorry. That was 1975. :wink: Here’s one of mine from, um, now:

9 Likes

Both setups use LG Ultrafine | Acer | Logitech Marble.
Stream Deck for everyday; ATEM switcher with Mokose camera, iPhone, and iPad for Zoom demos.

6 Likes

I’ve got three 4k monitors. One is connected directly to a 2010 Mac Pro, one connected directly to my Windows work laptop, and a third one on a switchbox that can flip back and forth from the Mac to the PC. The keyboard (on a separate switchbox) is a Corsair k70, with the alt and and windows key firmware flipped so that it behaves like a Mac keyboard.

8 Likes

14" M1 Pro, 2x dell U2520D, logitech MX keys Mac keyboard, Apple Magic Trackpad, 2x HomePod mini, Logitech webcam.

Extra points will be awarded to anyone who recognises the view!

6 Likes

Mine is an ikea standing desk with a crank! The floor mat adds needed padding to keep my feet from hurting.
I have two cheapo monitors and the MBP on a stand. The iPad Air and pencil is for taking written notes directly into OneNote. I have two Stream Decks for the most common shortcuts. They are a quick jump up for my hands from the keyboard and vertical mouse.
The cables are all semi-organized under the desk. The plywood panels are a work in progress. One panel will hang from the bottom of the desk and the other is attached to the desk legs at the floor. Once painted and hung, the top panel will go up and down with the desk behind the stationary lower panel keep the cable mess behind them always hidden.
Under counter LED pucks are attached to the back of the middle monitor and bounce off the wall for soft lighting during night work. The small light panel attached to the right of the desk is aimed at the wall for a bit of side lighting in video calls.

4 Likes

JBL 6328s, UAD Apollo 8, AD&R Compex, 27" Dell, RSL dinky speakers, “magic” Trackpad 2,
Logitek K750.
Between the left JBL and the Dell I’m hiding a '18 Mini 3.2G 6C i7.
Expert Moose for the cMP3,1 on the floor. It serves as an Emby media server w/4 drives.
Shure 57 to its left.
Blue LED is a Glyph 1TB work drive.

3 Likes

I’ve one of those cat things as well, usually comes with a tail up when I am on a Zoom…

3 Likes

Need a reminder to practice the Native flute. So, it’s home is nearby my Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020

3 Likes

• 2020 M1 MacMini with old wired Mac extended keyboard and bluetooth trackpad
  • LG 32" Ultrafine Monitor with ErgoStand
  • HP 24" Monitor
  • VIVO Dual LCD Monitor Desk Mount (only the top mount used)
  • Logitech Brio webcam

I tried a dual 24" setup but found myself turning my head more than I liked. Costco had the LG 32" on sale several months and it works great for me.

I originally thought I’d use the 24" as a second monitor (schedule, reminders, etc.) but since I do a lot of Zoom sessions I find myself using the 24" mostly as a video light. Great lighting, no glare.

Once in awhile I need to use my Elgato Prompter (teleprompter) directly in front of me so the ErgoStand on the LG Monitor makes it easy to move it out of the way. :smiley:

3 Likes

Since friends and I often play that game with local mountains in each other’s photos, made me wonder if there was an app/website that could do that for you worldwide.

Given topo maps and some CPU cycles, seems like it would be a perfect fit for a computer and a learning algorithm. Alas, didn’t find a solution without a starting GPS area.

Good one - it will be interesting if you can get a result!

For a starting area, try islands and archipelagos in the eastern Atlantic: Azores, Canaries, Madeira, Cape Verde….

Hiding under the pile under the white USB cable is my 2018 MacMini
The display is a 27-inch Dell 4G
The keyboard is a somewhat ergonomic Microsoft; I need the split down the middle to keep my wrists happy.
The cables go up to speakers and junk on the top shelf
The books are references, including some on the right end that I wrote.
My office phone on the right edge of the desk has a Plantronics headset and is my primary phone.
My office is in an attic with ceilings that start sloping into the room about 4 feet up the wall, so I have to stand a little way back to stand up straight.
The oldest equipment in my office is below.

5 Likes

Here is my installation :

4 Likes

Mac Studio M1 with 2TB SSD along with Studio Display. Synology DS920+ under desk in cubbyhole area. NuForce Icon 2 powering Definitive 350s. Too many Post-Its and scratch pad notes (I’m getting old…)

6 Likes