What do you think about Spark (by Readdle) security?

You’re using a product manufactured in China and sold in the United States. Both of those countries have quite regularly gathered private data for their own purposes. I’m not sure worrying specifically about the Ukraine is worth it at this point.

I’m leaving this discussion as long as future posts stay tightly focused on issues surrounding the security of Spark and similar email apps, but anything that starts venturing into general geopolitical questions will be deleted.

I don’t know the Readdle developers personally, although I’ve had numerous positive interactions with their tech support. (Even if they haven’t solved the performance problems that prevent me from using Spark.) But I did just get to hang out with a number of people from MacPaw, another Ukrainian company, at the Jamf Nation User Conference, and I can now say with some certainty that they’re Apple geeks like the rest of us. I’ve known and worked with other Ukrainian companies in the past as well, and while I don’t want to make a blanket statement that all such companies are good people (MacKeeper and its descendants are obviously an exception), I wouldn’t distrust Ukrainian companies more than firms from any other country.

2 Likes