Time to find a good multi-port USB-C hub with 10 Gbps & 15 W

So there are excellent options for USB-C hubs, especially if what you really want is TB4, but of course you pay for that ‘luxury’. So what if you want cheaper and less fancy…?

A senior colleague of mine has an M2 MBA and is very happy with it apart from only 2 ports to which she’d like to attach (when in her office) a lot of stuff: power, iOS devices, and a couple SATA-based SSDs interfaced through USB-C. Nothing dramatic so I figured a simple little 4-port USB-C hub with support for >35W on the host port as well as 15-W supported on those 4 client-side ports would fix her problems.

To my big surprise our department’s IT suppoprter said he knew nothing that fit that bill. Hubs with downstream USB-A ports aplenty, but not USB-C. ??? WTH? I couldn’t believe it, so I started searching Newegg and Amazon and others, only to find indeed he was absolutely right.

So, anybody have any ideas? The closest thing I can find to match that bill is a type of hub that wants to plugged in directly which is not what she likes. I guess you could always plug in a 3-ft 100-W 10-Gbps cable in between to fix that, but elegant it ain’t. There’s also this 4-port USB-C hub, but it has abysmal wattage on the downstream ports so you can’t use them to decently charge a modern iPhone.

Somebody here must certainly have found something decent somewhere. Please holler if you know. :pray:

Simon, have you checked out Monoprice? Search -USB-C HUBS - HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Then there is this from Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/3unj428n

The only USB-C device I have is my iPad Mini 6 so I don’t have the need yet.

Thanks, yeah, but unfortunately those just offer USB-A ports downstream. Considering the advantages of USB-C and its predominance in Apple world over USB-A, I’m looking for a hub with USB-C downstream, not A.

The OWC Thunderbolt Hub ($125) is the only one I’ve run across so far. 3 downstream TB/usb-c ports, 1 usb 3.2; 60W power delivery, and you can attach three hubs to the host hub if you want more ports.

1 Like

G’day Simon

Is this what you’re after: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/ADPSTT5610450/StarTech-HB31CM4CPD3-4-Port-USB-C-Hub-100W-PD-Pass

Note that price is NZD and includes local sales tax

If you can’t find one where you live, PB Tech is a reputable supplier I use regularly. I believe it does deliver internationally (dunno timeframes or costs).

Cheers, Gobit

Thank you. :raised_hands: That fits the bill. Looks like a cheaper version (without the extra 3 A-type ports) of the CalDigit Elements TB4 hub I linked to above. It’s actually a decent deal: at $125 it’s just half the price but still offers the same 3 C-type downstream ports. And on both I detest the port placement. I’d really like one side (ideally the front) with nothing but perhaps a downstream port and all else kept to the back.

I’d really like to see one of these hubs with more than 3 downstream ports. I wonder what the issue really is. There’s plenty of 3.2 hubs with 4-7 A-type downstream ports, but with C-type you almost always see just 3 max. And usually those are technically TB4 hubs, not just C. I wonder if there is indeed some kind of odd limitation with C-type USB. Power perhaps? After all, every downstream port should in principle be capable of delivering 15W.

Well thank you. :raised_hands: This is almost a winner. It’s got 3 downstream C-type ports that can each deliver 7.5 W. That’s not exactly huge when you’re charging an iPad, but so far it’s the best I’ve seen for any non-TB hub. And at $59 shipped here in the States it’s also quite a steal.

This is a fairly new product so not many reviews so far to go on. I’m anxious to hear if anybody has any hands-on experience with it. Maybe I’ll just have to get one myself to test. :wink: