The Big News about macOS 10.14 Mojave Is Dark

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/06/04/the-big-news-about-macos-10-14-mojave-is-dark/

Dark Mode leads the list of new features in the evolutionary macOS 14 Mojave. But, while most of the changes are small, many of them will be welcome.

Not that itā€™s terribly important, but nobody I know here in California pronounces it any other way than
mo-HA-vee.

Incidentally, thatā€™s also what Wikipedia says.

As usual, I am not really interested in most of these ā€˜improvementsā€™ and what I would most appreciate is a simple way to decline them. Is it not possible to build in a ā€˜no thanksā€™ button?

More generally, I have been keen on things Mac and a TidBITS subscriber for decades. But I am no longer a reader of most of the content. I am 77, and am not particularly interested in more choice and more complexity. I want to spend less time having to remember the new way to do an old task.

When I speak with friends I find that almost everybody has the same priorities. Yes to necessary security but no to imposed changes that cannot be declined.

Maybe this could become a regular issue in TidBITTS. If so, it would be something I would look forward to readingā€¦

Have I understood it correctly that Mohave will not be able to be installed on any Mac older than 2012?

Close.

Macs introduced in mid-2012 or later, plus 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards.

-Al-

I guess that means none of my Macs will ever run Mohave. :frowning:

1 Like

Iā€™m liking Mojave, especially dark mode (this page blind me! :), but the real gold is actually under the hood improvements to the security model, in fact, BBEdit is coming back to the Mac App Store, which to me was a huge signal that a lot has been done in 10.14 that is going to make us all very happy.

Iā€™ve been busy filling away bugs today (all are appearance/behavior bugs, no crashing so far).

Also, the integration of a lot of Workflow (the App) into iOS is extended to the Mac to some degree through the siri shortcuts, i think. Havenā€™t gotten to play with this yet, but this will be nice.

Being able to control HomeKit via the Mac (FINALLY) makes me very happy.

Thereā€™s all sorts of little things that are really nice, including a much more useful preview sidebar in the Finder. I can even rotate a video file right from the preview sidebar!

I really hope that dark mode can be turned off system wide. I find that the usual combination of light gray text against a not quite black background doesnā€™t give me enough contrast to make the text legible especially at small font sizes. It looks to me like someone has smeared vaseline over the text. I donā€™t have any problem with black text on a white background at the same type size. Gruberā€™s Daring Fireball site is a mess for me.

I know many people like the look but it reminds me of the bad old days in the early 1980ā€™s staring at an IBM 3278 terminal and the horrible green phosphor text on a black background.

The review article was very detailed, however, it seems to me there was one key item which was not included and that is: When is all of this Mojave release happening? I want to upgrade to High-Sierra (from Sierra) before the Mojave is available.

Iā€™m not sure they even mentioned availability, but my guess is around October or so, when macOS updates usually roll out.

Couldnā€™t agree more.

Count me in on this too, and Steve Jobs must be turning in his grave. Itā€™s harder to read white text on a dark background. If you want to arrest a readerā€™s vision for a headline or a short phrase, itā€™s a good design strategy. Black blocks light, white and lighter colors scatters it and forces longer focus on each word. For paragraphs, blocks of text, or long lists, forget about it.

Marilyn

I agree. I donā€™t mind the option for those that want a geek look or whatever, but I definitely want to be able to turn it off.

This seems to be something modern UI and graphic designers have forgot (or never been taught), that contrast matters a lot. A light interface or a dark interface doesnā€™t matter if that interface doesnā€™t have a high contrast between the important stuff and the background.

The IMPORTANT thing to remember that it is NEVER pronounced ā€œmo-JAW-veeā€ or worse ā€œmo-jayveā€! Interestingly, in Arizona the same name is spelled with an ā€œHā€ instead of a ā€œJā€ (probably to help the gringos pronounce it correctly)!

Ditto here. :rage:

Well, I took the plunge and installed it on my MacBookPro 15". Iā€™ve only found two things that didnā€™t work so far. The are MailTags which is an add-on for Mac Mail, and LastPass in Safari. I need to recheck them after some changes and a reboot so weā€™ll see. I did get the option at install to use Dark Mode and I chose it. Itā€™s great on a lot of things but some itā€™s just too dark.

Thanks for the report. Iā€™m tempted to install it on one of my machines. My understanding is that Apple has restricted Safari so that only extensions signed by Apple can be used.

Doesnā€™t that DEFEAT the purpose of the beta? How will Apple know if, as usual, theyā€™ve screwed up critical extensions like LastPass & 1Password?

Regarding iOS crossovers, if they have dropped the plan to merge MacOS and iOS, why do they keep adding iOS items and functions to MacOS? If anything, the plan should be the reverse: add Mac OS items, functions, and features to iOS until iOS is almost totally subsumed back into MacOS. Then we could have MacOS running on iPads, while the remnants of iOS could be used on the iPhone & iTouch as both have no need of a lot of stuff currently in iOS.