Surprise! Fujitsu Releases 64-Bit ScanSnap Manager for Older Scanners

There are different, somewhat confusing version numbers in ScanSnap Manager. Inside the software, via the menu ‘About ScanSnap Manager’ I get 7.2 L60. Going via CMD+i from the Finder I get 7.2.60.1001. Related, but slightly different.

For reference, here is a link that lists what is and what is not compatible. But from the examples in this conversation, we know better.
http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/dl/os.html

Their definition of ‘supported’ seems to differ from what a reasonable person would think it means.

Thanks for that! I’m running the same version of SSM, and your model is in the same discontinued list with mine, so I may take this as a “all clear” to upgrade.

If my 12 year old (and counting) S1300 stops working with the Fujitsu software, I’ll give VueScan and ExactScan a try. . . Either option is less expensive than replacing a perfectly good scanner. A respondent in another thread reports that ExactScan works great, while another unnamed software did not work well for her.

Trusty S1500M here on Big Sur 17.7.7, still running OK on ScanSnap Manager 7/2 L60. Not upgrading anything until it breaks, despite the scare tactics of the message from Ricoh. If/when it does, I’ll move to VueScan/ExactScan. It ain’t broke, so I’m not fixing it.

Looks like ScanSnap Manager has until October 2024.

This is welcome news, I guess: I use my 1300 SnapScan once or twice a year. The software is installed on a 2012 MBP running Mojave, so the 32-bit aspect hasn’t been an issue. But I’m glad to have the option of using it with something running a newer OS. The scanner itself is one of those “just works” devices.

Well, maybe. When you say “1300”, do you mean the iX1300, or the S1300i? If you’ve had it for a while, I’m guessing the latter, and unfortunately ScanSnap Home does not support it.

Yeah, it’s an S1300i. If Mojave is the newest it can work with, I’m fine with that. Anyone know if VueScan works with it? VueScan has kept my 20-year-old Polaroid film scanner going.

Scroll back in this thread for answers regarding VueScan and post-Mojave support.

Sorry, I may have unintentionally implied that. What I meant was that regardless of OS version, you cannot use your S1300i with ScanSnap Home, either currently or in the future. You have to use ScanSnap Manager. What is changing is Fujitsu’s sunsetting of development and support for “Manager”. As long as you keep a copy, you should be able to use it as-is for the foreseeable future, at the risk of running unsupported software, and barring any conflict between it and a future version of macOS.

1 Like

Mine is just a S1300 (no i) and it still runs on the latest macOS with ScanSnap Manager.

But as mentioned above, the clock is running out.

Some misunderstandings here, I think.
The S1300 (no i) is not supported by ScanSnap Home, but the S1300i is supported.
As for the clock running out, well, on the “end of support date” the software won’t miraculously stop working. As long as you can install ScanSnap Manager, you’ll be fine. I have ScanSnap Manager on BigSur with a S1300 (no i).

Fujitsu has, in the past, made some very robust devices. I recently salvaged files from a bunch of 20 year old MO disks with a used Fujitsu MO drive I bought on eBay. It all just worked. I can’t remember when I got the SnapScan 1300i, but it’s been trouble-free for the years I’ve had it.

Thank you for the correction. I must have misinterpreted the chart Fujitsu published.

I’m using a S1500m with Scansnap Manager. Something happened and the ScanSnap icon greyed out. I thought upgrading to Scansnap Home would solve the problem and attempted to make the upgrade. No luck. I then called the support number (800-626-4686) expecting to get someone in India who was going to tell me I should buy a new scanner. Instead, I got someone in their California office who was knowledgeable, friendly and patient. After a couple of questions, he figured out that I was not a skilled computer user and offered to take over my screen. He removed all the old Scansnap Manager and Scansnap Home data, reinstalled the Scansnap Manager program and I was back in operation. He had to have spent 20-30 minutes working with me. When asked, he did say that in his opinion, I should not install Scansnap Home and, more problematically, that I should not upgrade to Ventura (I currently run Monterey 12.6.7). The frosting on the cake was that I got an email the next day asking if everything was still working. A first for me.
So, the question is how can we get the mentality of the customer service department to penetrate the head office and the technology department? As many have stated, the hardware is working great and Fujisuti should be very proud of producing an quality machine. This should be a great selling point to shoppers who are purchasing their first scanner.

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: ScanSnap Home and older scanners

EDIT 2: Sorry, realised@ace already reported this a few months ago further up this thread. Oh well, you get the warning twice, I guess.

PSA…

Old thread I know, but be aware that the ScanSnap Manager app is being unsupported from Nov. 2024 (downloadable until Oct.2024), making Sonoma or Sonoma+1 (whatever macOS 15 is called) likely the last macOS it works with:

https://www.pfu.ricoh.com/global/scanners/scansnap/dl/mac-1400-ix1600.html

I personally use the ScanSnap Home app now anyway which is not as bad IMO as others feel it is. But I know other users on these forums use ScanSnap machines using the Manager app instead who may want to avail themselves of this info.

[screenshot]

EDIT 1, see also:

Does the Home app require you to be signed in online, or do you have to use a cloud service? What are the differences with the Manager that you noticed? I like the tightness of how the current system works and hope that the OCR function stays local and does not have to be interpreted in the cloud.

Home does not require any signing in or cloud service (although cloud storage is optional, I don’t use it). OCR is local.

Thanks for that information. As things change faster, I get more hesitant. When something works very well, I am suspicious of the claim of “improved”. This makes me feel less apprehensive of the (inevitable) change