Siri AI vs. plain Apple Intelligence

On the OS 27 versions for Mac, iPhone, and iPad, it appears that what Apple was labeling as Beta in ver. 26 (“Apple Intelligence”), is now considered production quality and cannot really be disabled anymore. Regular AI manifests in numerous ways within many of the included apps.

Meanwhile, Siri AI is labeled as Beta and can be left inactive or enabled (to request admission to the queue and subsequent activation) at the user’s discretion.

First, does my perception line up with what others are seeing?

Next, I generally like to enable the same Apple subsystems and services across my Mac, iPhone, and iPad (e.g., various iCloud features). I just feel that operating this way tends to minimize problems and keep one’s personal Apple ecosystem happy and healthy.

But with Siri AI, I’m currently conflicted. I’d like to start playing around with it a bit and compare it to my experience with ChatGPT, yet I’m reluctant to lose a lot of the Siri-based conveniences I’m used to (e.g., asking Siri to change things on my various Home-compatible devices, or asking about miscellaneous things that don’t really enter the realm of AI). And I’ve read many accounts of people saying that Siri AI’s current performance of old-style Siri requests/tasks has regressed quite significantly from that of pre-27 Siri.

So I’m thinking I might enable Siri AI on just my iPad for now. I’ll still be able to do all the old Siri things from my Mac, iPhone, Apple Watch, and HomePods, while getting to try out Siri AI on the tablet.

Thoughts?

I’d say from a risk management perspective, that’s a good plan. I would, though, do some research if you rely on any Siri actions that take place on multiple devices to ensure there aren’t any incompatibilities.