Replacements for the Ascent workout tracking app

(Diane D) #1

Jerry - did you replace Ascent with something else? I have over 10 years of data in it. I’ve heard also that newer Garmins (which I am also looking at) may not sync directly but at least you can import the GPX. I got the info from the Ascent forum which is still operational.

I do have my 2008 unibody MP that I can keep it on, but you know how it is about wanting everything on your main machine……

Diane

macOS 10.13.4 Warns Users about 32-Bit Apps
(Jerry Nilson) #2

I was just looking up various programs that could be of help to me. I do not care about uploading tracks after the fact (or during) - I am only interested in making tracks as part of planning and sometimes for documentation (but not of my own exercise), so I use gpsies.com (no other service comes near when planning tracks for road cycling as one can switch between following roads on foot, bicycle, car and change between Google a Graphopper(?) on the fly + more + free). Use Pocket Earth pro on iOS for uploading tracks to see over OSM maps. Will not buy a cycle computer that needs charging more than once a month or battery change 2-3 times a year, so Garmin is out and they are clumsy, but may be of use in terrain … .

(Diane D) #3

Thanks Jerry! The downloaded data is important to me as I mountain bike. Import/export routes to the GPS etc.

I have made routes on MapMyRide (the free version) but I don’t even do that often. I will check out your recommendations though!

I am afraid of using my phone on the mountain bike as I don’t want to take it out in a crash. Sure wish there was a way to turn on my 4s for GPS only, but I still think the Garmin battery lasts longer. I don’t charge it very often as it gets a charge when I plug it in to download and I just let it sit for a bit.

Some of the watches are pretty cool but I tend so smash things on my fingers and wrists so I don’t do that either.

Diane

(Paul Schinder) #4

Ascent stopped working for me a while back for unknown reasons. It no longer works on my MacBook Pro (High Sierra, 10.13.4) or my Mac Pro (Sierra, 10.12.6). I’ve played with GoldenCheetah and don’t particularly like it, so I’m left with rubiTrack and Garmin Training Center (32 bit). There’s also TurtleSport, which I’ve just barely looked at. I still use Garmin Connect, Strava, and SportTracks on the web so I’m not particularly lacking in places to put tracks. Garmin changed the FIT format on newer devices, so their tracks no longer work reliably with older software. You can still send them to GC and download a GPX.

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com

(Diane D) #5

I was not thrilled with Garmin Connect ever since the first time I hooked up to it (with the help of Garmin tech support), it completely wiped out all the data on my unit.

I will not use Strava or anything else I need to create an account for. It’s why I like Ascent.

I read High Sierra definitely broke it but it is still working on my Sierra machine.

Is there anything else that works as a stand alone product?

Diane

(Paul Schinder) #6

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com

dianed143 Diane D
April 18
I was not thrilled with Garmin Connect ever since the first time I hooked up to it (with the help of Garmin tech support), it completely wiped out all the data on my unit.

I will not use Strava or anything else I need to create an account for. It’s why I like Ascent.

I read High Sierra definitely broke it but it is still working on my Sierra machine.

Is there anything else that works as a stand alone product?

RubiTrack and Garmin Training Center are the stand alones I use. Good luck finding GTC anywhere, and since it’s 32 bit and it’s been a long time since Garmin supported it, it’s days are numbered. RubiTrack is very nice but has to be bought. GoldenCheetah is free and open source, so it should always be available, but I’m not that fond of the interface. It’ll do everything you’re likely to want, though (and if you can code, you can make it do whatever you want). These days Garmin Connect is used via iOS Garmin Connect or Garmin Express on macOS, and newer devices send directly to Garmin Connect via Bluetooth->LTE or WiFi, so it’s all automatic now. No need to plug the device in, although I usually do anyway.