Moving to Catalina: Keep Your 32-Bit Mac Apps Running with Parallels

Dana is 100% right. I rejiggered where I put Quicken Data files to ensure they are routinely backed up.

My Quicken files are in Documents > Quicken Backup Folder and the file dates change every time I open Quicken. Plus they get backed up by CCC.

Note that the suggestion was to use Parallels, which is a paid program. There is also the free Parallels Lite, which allows virutalisation of MacOS and Linux but not Windows. I don’t know if there are any other significant differences.

Windows can be run under Parallels Lite, according to Parallels’s KB, which also sets out the differences: https://kb.parallels.com/123796

Jeremy

dosdude1’s patched installers are totally legitimate and reflect a lot of hard work by clever folk who want to keep old hardware running for as long as possible. I have been using them very successfully to run High Sierra on a 2009 Mac mini and Mojave on a 2011 mini.

They are also a great way to download original Apple installers that you don’t intend to patch. I have never looked at checksums, because I don’t know where you would get the official values. But they have always worked fine for me.

I think Parallels Lite no longer allows virtualisation of MacOS or Linux guests for free. I used to run a Sierra guest in a High Sierra host for free, but I think the pricing has changed, and it is now a “paid feature”.

1 Like

As someone who already has the latest version of Parallels installed, I found two small steps not clear in the article. The first is that the Installation Assistant doesn’t show. Instead, I needed to open the File menu and select New to get started. That opens the installation assistant.
Next is a set of four options on the Utilities screen where the installation pauses until you select the right one, which appears to be Reinstall Mojave. There are the usual other pauses before I could just let the download actually begin.
I’m still in the middle as I write and hoping it all finishes well.

Lite has switched to a fee-based subscription. Per support in Parallels forum: “Parallels Desktop Lite 1.4.0 we switched to the App Store based subscription with 14-day trial. Existing users running Parallels Desktop Lite of earlier version who had no subscription are being granted with a free 1 year subscription. To take advantage of the offer, please create an account as prompted by the Parallels Desktop Lite 1.4.0 application. So you can use free one year subscription now.”

Did it pause and continue or did you need to click? I don’t recall having to click in a clean installation until Mojave restarted and I set up macOS.

I see a new version of Fusion is now available which is said to run under Catalina.

Is there anything of significance to choose between Parallels and Fusion? I’m sure there are numerous small differences, but would someone coming fresh to virtualisation and primarily wanting to run Mojave in a VM under Catalina, be better advised to go for one rather than the other?

Jeremy

My sense is that it paused, both on the Utilities screen and when I needed to select a language and one other place. But selecting a language and whatever that other thing was seemed to be what I had to do when installing Mojave the first time. The screen didn’t use the expression “clean expression” but I think what I saw is the same thing. It all happened long before the installation itself completed (since it still hasn’t and says it has over 7 hours to go).

When I run the Apple system information apps check, I find many 32-bit apps - but they are all on connected backup drives - not on my iMac Pro boot drive. Do I need to worry about this? I suppose I could delete them from the backup drive but that is a lot of manual work.

David

I’ve got another old application that can’t write to the new disk format. I “solved” it by creating an HFS+ disk image and storing the data files on that. Whenever I want to use the application, I just mount the disk image.

The only reason to deal with 32-bit apps if you want to launch them after you upgrade to Catalina (if you upgrade to Catalina). They can reside on a drive otherwise and be inert.

That is brilliant.

I should have tracked my installation closer, but I believe the process I saw was:

• Click the Mojave/Recovery option in Parallels
  • Wait for things to happen for a while
  • Select language and finish macOS Mojave installation in the virtual machine.

For macOS Recovery, you shouldn’t have to select or do anything when you boot into it in the first place, but it’s possible Parallels creates a new installation of it? I’m not sure. If it worked correctly with your upgrade, I wouldn’t be concerned about it.

Hi, Also like one other above interested in the differences (mostly speed) between running macOS under Parallels vs. VMware (the later which I would prefer), but maybe a bit too early … . Downloaded the 11.5 version of VMware, so guess I can check a little there myself (but won’t use Catalina until some time after it is released).

One thing apart from creating a new macOS “machine” from the recovery partition is that it is easy to simply import different macOS system clones into VMware if one needs a special macOS version. I got an El Capitan clone and a Mojave clone and will see which works best (Some programs likely runs better in El Capitan, or older systems and esp. if one is using program such as Adobe CS suites in which case it is not that likely that reinstallation will work, but that one has to import and existing machine that works, as have often also been the case with FileMaker for example.)

Some 32-bit programs I still use often: Adobe Photoshop CS6; Adobe InDesign CS6; PageSpinner (Coda & BBEdit are nice, but will never learn to code html as fast in those as in this); Style Master (the only easy to use, for html-challenged people like me, css program ever); ScanSnap Manager; Microsoft Word (2011), DYMO, DiskWarrior (still hope they eventually get back on track – only really worthwhile repair software ever created for the Mac, TechTool Pro is good for memory & Disk Utility is not worthless these days); Fetch (will be updated yes); FileMaker Pro (will update to latest).

Others I might want to use: Acrobat Distiller; iDVD (maybe I don’t need it); Peak LE 6 (still works, but activating it (and using it) require the use of magic, not reason, and likely would work better in El Capitan or older); SolidWorks eDrawings; Toast Titanium (old version that I might not need).

The worst thing with Catalina is that many people will see there’s a new update, but have no clue about how many 32-bit programs they may have to update … . I tell everyone to disable automatic looking for updates and only manually look for updates – think it is the best advice to anyone using a Mac these days (at least IF they eventually look for updates or have someone help them with it).

For macOS Recovery, you shouldn’t have to select or do anything when you boot into it in the first place, but it’s possible Parallels creates a new installation of it? I’m not sure. If it worked correctly with your upgrade, I wouldn’t be concerned about it.

I started down this route and the install from recovery process asked which disk to install to. The only option presented was my boot drive, which gave me the heebie jeebies, so I’ve put it off a bit until I have time to look into it more. It didn’t look like it was installing into the VM.

Rob

Do you have any suggestions as to how large to make the Parallels virtual disk? I would only want to install Quicken 2007. I would probably keep the actual data files on my main Catalina startup disk.

It’s finally finished installing. I wasn’t concerned. It just seemed like maybe the steps were just a bit different using a copy of Parallels already on my computer. Only in the initial screen did the term “recovery mode” appear. The next time, in what looked like a Disk Utility screen, the correct choice was “Reinstall.” I was sharing this in case others encountered these little extra and/or different steps.

Thanks for responding. All seems done, since I’m doing this primarily to keep using one app which I use often but which will never be upgraded to 64 bit.