Moving to Catalina: Keep Your 32-Bit Mac Apps Running with Parallels

You can create the VM with High Sierra, then upgrade it to Mojave. Keep the Mojave installer for any future needs.

I have a High Sierra machine barely one year old. I have no idea if it comes with 64-bit, I don’t even know how to find that information. I know nothing about Parallel programs. It was a nightmare last year when I upgraded to High Sierra. I had to buy a new computer, spend three weeks fixing the damage created to my company records, and a fortune in buying business app upgrades. I’m still having problems. I haven’t upgraded to Mojave because I’m terrified of how much damage and delay it will cost me and my company. I can’t afford to buy a new machine and all the outside apps. Any advice on how a one-person company with no tech support is supposed to cope with Catalina?

May I also mention I left quirky Quicken for MoneyDance? MoneyDance works on both Mac and PC, using the same database for both. It is non-subscription. It will readily import Quicken files. It may has an IOS and an Android app but I have no interest in such. http://infinitekind.com

Helpful article Glenn.
Even more helpful, supplement with simple instructions for those of us who are still using Sierra (macOS 10.12.6) and other pre-Mojave OS,
because we still rely a lot on at least one not-quite-yet fully 60bit fully certified Mac app—some things got less clear with 10.12.7.

Is it possible to get some benefits of Catalina (like the Music App - as iTunes is unable to manage music with iOS 13) by creating a Parallel virtual machine with Catalina on it, and keep your “real” system at 10.14?

All the same principles apply, but our article had a particular focus for Mojave users hitting the end of the 32-bit lifetime. You can find articles written over the last few years about using Parallels Desktop more generally with each release of macOS (though I didn’t write any of those).

The only difference between using Mojave as a Parallels Desktop virtual machine in Catalina and Sierra is that you will need to either obtain a Sierra installer and make a clean installation (and then copy apps over as discussed in my article), or make an image of your current Sierra setup in its entirety, and turn that into a virtual machine. Parallels provides step-by-step instructions on carrying out that process.

Yes. There’s some balance to consider: Will you be running apps more in Catalina or in Mojave (or an earlier system)? I’d also argue it makes more sense for your “base” system to run the latest, most secure and efficient release, and run a virtual machine of an older macOS/OS X inside of that for stability and protection.

On reviewing apps, I have so many that I use that are 32 bit and good replacements have yet to me made. My SnapScan scanner works well and it’s ability to scan both sides of a paper and index at a press of a button, doesn’t seem to be able to easily duplicated by existing software. I would have to buy new hardware and I would rather wait for new apps to arrive.

I’m not sure what you mean by “and index,” but VueScan works well with my ScanSnap S510M. The new 64 bit Fujitsu software is too cloudy for my tastes (“all your scanning are belong to us”) and probably doesn’t support this ancient scanner anyway. VueScan with work from the scanner’s button, scans both sides, is quite flexible, the author is responsive and has supported the product for decades.

I have newer ScanSnap scanners at my office, and VueScan seems to do everything I used the ScanSnap software for except for supporting wireless.

–Ron

Care to expand? What will somebody with an iOS 13 iPhone and a Mojave Mac with iTunes no longer be able to do in terms of music?

I’d like to understand why using the free VirtualBox is considered so problematic. Surely a detailed procedure for Mojave system builds will appear very soon after Catalina’s release, without the need to study forum postings. If it hasn’t already.

Actually, my new phone had defaulted to the iTunes iCloud account, so when I tried to sync my phone, the Music tab was all wonky, but that cleared up after I turned off the iCloud music sharing.

So it does work with iOS 13 at this time. I got a new iPhone with no Home button and iOS 13 and remain confused about how to do things. Sorry for the misdirection.

Simon

September 22

raykloss:
like the Music App - as iTunes is unable to manage music with iOS 13

Care to expand? What will somebody with an iOS 13 iPhone and a Mojave Mac with iTunes no longer be able to do in terms of music?

My main need is to run Aperture. I’ve heard it doesn’t work in most VMs. Anyone hear of success with latest Parallels? I’d probably run something Sierra or earlier.

Perfect timing for this article! I had just updated my Parallels app to version 15 with the hope of making a VM of macOS 10.14.6 so that I could keep using some of the 32 bit apps that I like (QT7, MathMagic, and others). Following the articles suggestions, I have created a VM of macOS 10.14.6 and am in the processes of moving some of the 32 bit apps to the new VM. Thanks again for the well timed, for me, article!

1 Like

I had planned on keeping Mohave on my 27" iMac to run those 32 bit apps (mostly games I enjoy first thing it the morning, they make sure my brain is still functioning at my age) and installing Catalina on an external drive. I believe I can just restart my mac and switch to which ever OS I want. Am I correct in this?

Yes, but there are a couple drawbacks I mentioned in passing above.

• If your Mac dies, you need to buy a Mac old enough that it can still run Mojave. Models released after October won’t.
  • Restarting can take a bit, and it’s less convenient for a few apps to restart than to have them available directly within your current environment.

Nothing I’ve tested, sorry! Parallels has user forums, so you may be able to get reports of success or failure there.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m running a 2017 iMac, and by the time it is no longer viable I hope I may have found other brain testing games.

Since you still use Quicken 2007, and have moved to Mojave, do you know how to fix the error I get every time I shut Quicken 2007 down? “Quicken was not able to back up your file.” From day to day my data is there, but still get this message.

Can’t fix it, as Q2007 can’t write to Mojave’s new disk format. As long as you keep good backups of the data file (in Documents folder) you’ll be ok.