Moving from 1Password to KeePass

Previous versions are available at:
https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

One of the best reasons to use 1Password 7/8 subscription is that it requires the least amount of IT skills as you have no files to manage. The only thing to manage is your master password and key.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a preferences checkbox (under General) to hide that icon in 1PW 6. Not sure about later versions. I donā€™t use KeePassXC, so I canā€™t help you there.

That option is in 7 as well. Itā€™s called 1Password Mini by the way. I find it pretty useful sometimes, particularly when filling in credit card info on a website. There is an option to pin the page to the screen, which I can then drag to the side and be able to see all of my credit card details, just as an example. Itā€™s also useful for web sites that may ask for extra information when you log in occasionally, such as the answers to security questions, etc.

1 Like

I just followed in your tracks, moving from 1Password 7 in order to avoid 8 because I hate subscriptions and like local data; I thank you for blazing the trail. Iā€™m up and running with KeePassXC on the Mac, and there is only one issue at the moment: some sites have a URL you go to where the LOGIN button is, and then when you click it there is a different URL where the credentials are filled in. So Iā€™m trying to work out how to handle these dozen or so websites more smoothly. Other than that, following your example only took me a day! Thanks again.

2 Likes

I just switched to KeePassXC. It does have browser extensions, but of course they are browser-specific, as the ones on 1Password are. I use Firefox with KeePassXC and they do support Chrome and others as well.

1 Like

Great to hear that you found my instructions helpful! I agree those sites are annoying. Sometimes the extension will detect the separate pages and prompt you at the top of the browser window to enable autofill for those. I wish it handled that better.

So far in this discussion no one else, as far as I can tell while browsing with Safari iOS, has mentioned LastPass. Iā€™ve used it since it was new, as both a browser extension and a MacOS application, primarily because itā€™s available via a purely web-based mechanism and doesnā€™t require installation of any apps, or even browser extensions, not even its own. (I used to use 1Password at home but didnā€™t like their subscription and never could use it at work.)

The govt. network I use in the office blocks:

• user installation of applications and browser extensions
  • cloud-based file sharing
  • many websites and other protocols considered unsafe by govt. security.

The LastPass website has never been blocked for all the years Iā€™ve used this network. And LastPass is the only password management system that requires neither a cloud-based file storage nor user installation of anything.

Iā€™d be happy to try out another web-based password manager that might meet those requirements.

Suggestions?

1 Like

Welcome! Itā€™s been mentioned in this thread a few times, yes (here, here, here, here and here). If you are moving from 1Password because itā€™s gone subscription and doesnā€™t support locally based vaults that sync with a method that you control, and you want to have your passwords synced to multiple devices, then Lastpass has the same restriction - it is a subscription based service unless you want it only on mobile or only on a computer. I believe that most of the people switching from 1Password here are not looking for a web-based password manager, but one that they store to local devices under their own control. One where they donā€™t have to trust that a web-based service will be reliably available. But, sure, yours is a valid use case for somebody like you.

I originally used Lastpass, but that was back when I had an Android phone and Lastpass had not yet been sold to Logmein. For me, I switched to 1Password around the same time that I switched from Android to iOS and that Logmein bought Lastpass. (I should also note that I was also having lots of issues with Lastpass on my Macs at the time - mostly with changed passwords somehow not syncing back to Lastpassā€™s website. That was probably the last straw for me.)

It does seem that since Logmein pushed Lastpass off into its own company again that it has gained some more features (sharable passwords, family plans, etc.).

Iā€™m still on 1Password 6, but the browser extension stopped working on Chrome a few weeks ago (Iā€™m not sure it ever worked in Brave), so Iā€™m starting to look at alternatives. Iā€™m grateful for the Enpass chatter here - I hadnā€™t heard of it before, and it looks like a likely candidate for my needs.

Interesting. Iā€™m using Brave on my MBP with High Seira and have the extension on the browser. Using 1P v 7.9

The v.6 browser extension doesnā€™t work in Brave (IIRC). It still works in Firefox, and stopped working in Chrome a few weeks ago.

Does 1Password 8 allow for local cache of the database? I am often needing passwords for LOCAL applications while OUT of network/internet access? If I MUST have internet to get my passwords 8 is a total and complete bust for me.

Iā€™ve been using 1Password ever since the very first article about it here in TidBits decades ago.

V8 does keep a local copy of the database so that you can access it without network/internet access. That isnā€™t the problem that a lot of people have with the new version.

Based on statements that the v8 beta supports backup/restore/exportā€¦I just downloaded and tried the latest betaā€¦here are a few observations and the current beta has been banished from my system.

-The beta zips and disables your current copy of at least v7ā€¦donā€™t know about earlier versions. It does offer to migrate your data and then nags you about your choice if you do not migrate but eventually does install without migrating and it does pick up your current subscription (which is not my main vault even though I have one)ā€¦I donā€™t know if it picked that up from my v7 preferences or from my previous beta install attempt back in December. Howeverā€¦disabling my currently perfectly working copy of v7 is completely unacceptable since v8 is BETA software. At least it just zipped up the v7 application and left it in place in /Applications so recovery was fairly simple.

-After my brief useā€¦I attempted to undo the unacceptable actions of the above installationā€¦quit v8, zipped it and tried to delete the v8 appā€¦Finder would not allow that since the app was in use. This required a trip through Activity Monitor to kill the total of 4 processes left running even though the app had been quit from the menu. Againā€¦unacceptable behavior although it is beta but leaving these phantom processes running seems to be a bit underhanded to me and part of their forced migration plan.

-v7 works again after Activity Monitor, fixing Login Items, and restarting (that probably wasnā€™t actually required but it had been 18 days so I did it anyway).

-As several folks notedā€¦there is an export command in the menuā€¦but the only 2 choices available are both unencryptedā€¦this is clearly meant as an export file to be imported into another application as one leaves 1PW v8 behindā€¦and it is most certainly not a backup/restore option under the userā€™s control.

-v8 does not really look very Mac likeā€¦but since I only tried it to see if there was a backup/restore option available I did not really use it for long enough to make a determination on suitability from a UI perspective. As Iā€™ve said beforeā€¦I can live with a crappy app if I have to but would obviously prefer a real macOS app insteadā€¦and apparently there isnā€™t a current v8 available for iOS or iPadOS according to a March post on their form that I saw.

Based on todayā€™s testingā€¦v8 ainā€™t welcome in my workflowā€¦but for an app that was supposed to be available sometime well before April of 2022ā€¦looks like theyā€™re having issues with it still.

2 Likes

Internet access is only needed to sync data to/from your 1Password cloud database. Irregular internet connections are not a problem. Iā€™ve been using it since Feb. Itā€™s still beta, with improvements in UI and performance still being released. But definitely functional and stable enough to use now.

It appears that if your 1Password subscription has expired, your access is locked and you canā€™t get anything out of the app unless you pay them.

That terminates my relationship with the developer.

2 Likes

Did this happen to you or did they tell you? If correctā€¦that would be another deal breaker for me to upgrade to v8. I find it hard to understand why the company would be that stupid.

Guess this isnā€™t the 1Password the company we all knew and loved.

1 Like

Wrong. 1Password is not trying to keep your data hostage. Your account goes to ā€œread onlyā€ mode and you can still export it.

5 Likes

Hmmmā€¦. I enter my password and the application wonā€™t open.

dave

Does the application really not open or do you get an error? If itā€™s the former, you have an app issue. Delete and reinstall. You can also try logging into your data on the 1Password web site. If itā€™s an error, 1Password employees answer about every question posed on their message boards so thatā€™s probably a better place to look for answers than this board.

1 Like

This is what I see:

Accepts the password, but doesnā€™t open. Thatā€™s OK.

dave