macOS 11.2 Big Sur Improves Bluetooth, Squashes Bugs

No, that’s not the explanation. I do not have an M1 Mac, I have a 2015 Intel iMac. By the way, none of my Big Sur problems went away after I installed v.11.2. Apple is so busy fixing security problems that it apparently hasn’t had time to address the actual usability of the OS.

The problems you described don’t seem to be shared by a lot of us here running Big Sur, which might suggest that you have a corrupted install. I’d recommend reinstalling Big Sur and seeing if that resolves any of the issues. Another possibility is that your Mac has started suffering from a hardware problem at roughly the same time as you upgraded from Catalina—if it’s related to failing storage, it could even have been triggered by the upgrade.

1 Like

The headline and the article state that is for M1 Macs, not an 11.2 issue with Intel Macs. That said, my iMac Pro has not yet needed my ThunderBay SoftRAID… . ::grin:: I will be testing that eventually.

1 Like

Oops, good catch! I’m still internalizing that I have to keep checking for that sort of thing now.

It is a bit more complicated these days!

I use and support a range of Mac computers (5 or so for personal use and another 5 for family and friends, ranging from 2010 to late 2020) and it is amazing the contemplations I have as I ascertain whether something will work on any given computer with the numerous CPU configurations and multiple OS versions!

I have been watching and reading the SoftRAID forums for months now as I waited and watched to determine when was the right time to upgrade various computers that needed various plugins (mostly audio and generators for FCP) and what would work on my new M1, also based on plugin updates.

There are now (related?) security updates for Mojave (hooray!) and Catlina:

Here are some posts about these problems: Big Sur Problem?: "You do not have… | Apple Developer Forums. I could give more examples. I checked my boot drive twice with Disk Utility and it passed with flying colors. I then reinstalled Big Sur. The problems still exist and are easily replicated.

Try safe boot. Do the problems persist? If not, do they persist after then rebooting again in the regular manner? Do you see the same problems if you log in to a vanilla user account?

There’s now confirmation that the sudo bug is still present in 11.2, as we thought it would be given the lack of mention in Apple’s security notes.

I can’t even boot into safe mode without jumping through hoops. As CNET says in a 2013 article at What to do when a Mac won't boot to Safe Mode - CNET, I’d first have to disable FileVault and remove my firmware password. Ridiculous. I can’t boot into safe mode by holding down the shift key on my iMac or my MacBook Pro because of this. (I’ve tried it many times.) Anyway, the app launching problems have become intermittent. I thought they had perhaps gone away but no, I just got another error message of the same type. I’ll try a different user account but as I showed, other people are posting about this problem. Other people are also posting about Big Sur Mac app crashes. I will never give Apple the benefit of the doubt, not after my experience over many years. Shades of the days of INITPicker.

I just created a new admin user account and tried to replicate the app launching (permissions) problem. No problem replicating it – same error.

I have File Vault enabled too and getting into Safe Mode is not a problem. If the only thing holding you back is the firmware password, I’d just disable it for this test.

I have avoided updating to Big Sir because it is just not ready yet. I have a copy loaded on a separate boot partition and I keep it up to date but my production machine with all my licensed software remains on Catalina.

How does this work with Big Sur? Do you need a separate container on the internal disk? Would it work even with an M1 Mac? Thanks for the education.

I just had the same problem on my wife’s Mac Mini running Big Sur, so I’m not going to let Apple run me through any more diagnostic hoops anytime soon. Piece of trash, as I said originally.

I have not upgraded from Mojave like many because of the many problems there were with Catalina for which I have never had reliable reports of them being fixed. In particular the issues with Mail and Preview, both of which I totally depend upon. Mojave is not perfect* but in general it is pretty usable.

• Incidentally the main issue I have with Mojave is that after about a day or so of having a Synology based SMB volume mounted any transaction with the shared volume becomes very sluggish indeed and is only fixed when I eject and re-mount the volume. This does not happen from Windows 10 so I can only assume it is a Mac SMB-client issue.
1 Like

I have a MBP 15in 2019 running an external display LG27UK850 - I was keen to upgrade from 11.1 to 11.2 due to the warning from Josh on the emphasis on Security fixes and a bug with spotlight.

BUT I read elsewhere that a number of users have experienced problems with external displays in 11.1 which in some cases is made worse with 11.2

There is also an annoying bug in Big Sur with searching for text within RTF docs, Big Sur is blind to these, convert the document to say .docx & it appears in spotlight! I had also hoped that 11.2 might fix this…

Has anyone come across the display issue?
Does anyone know if 11.2 fixes the RTF search/spotlight issue

Any advice of comments greatly appreciated!

I am still on Mojave. Just watching…waiting, waiting, waiting…

Rich

1 Like

Me too. Apple’s reluctance to actually tell you everything that they have fixed means that I would rather stick with the problems that I know about than move to another OS version with other problems that may or may not have been fixed. I depend on my computer working well for my business activities and I can’t afford to lose functionality.

I am sure many others are in this position, and Apple must know how many people are still on older system versions. It is within their power to give us the confidence to upgrade.

I have to say that this is probably my biggest gripe with Apple. Although by and large their systems are robust, there are always a few problems which may not be crashing bugs but are still widely recognised, but they are never acknowledged by Apple and so they never let you know when they are eventually fixed (if they ever are!).

These are all anecdotes so of course YMMV but I just wanted to let folks know I stuck with Mojave for a long time until I upgraded to Catalina and only recently migrated to Big Sur, mainly because I was so frustrated with Catalina’s various quirks. On my systems, Big Sur has probably been the most well behaved of all three. Catalina was a real pain in the you-know-what. Mojave was better, but I think Big Sur has actually been the most stable. Its optics might take some getting used to, but in terms of smooth running it’s definitely Big Sur for me.