"last visit" marker (was: Change to user interface?)

It’s so nice to have the “last visit” line back.

1 Like

Indeed! Life is good. This update took longer to appear than usual, but it’s a HUGE one.

Great update! :slight_smile: Didn’t realize how much I rely on the last visit line. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you, Discourse; thank you, Adam.

What he said. I really missed it.

1 Like

I think the line might have disappeared again. I noticed the “Latest” button is behaving differently too. Most often now I need to click on it twice to get it to update the list of threads accordingly. And then, no last visit line.

Hmm, I’m still seeing the Last Visit line, and clicking Latest isn’t making any difference for me either way. Anyone else seeing issues?

Well of course now the line is back. You checking must have fixed it, @ace. Very Schrödinger. :wink:

Is it possible the Latest button behavior is in any way related to Safari 14? I was thinking about when it started misbehaving for me and I wonder if that’s just a coincidence.

I have that effect on computer systems. :slight_smile:

Not inconceivable, but I don’t use Safari regularly so I’m curious what others see that would be more representative.

I’m seeing the line in Firefox 81.0.1. However, I found a different anomaly that might (or might not) be related.

The last article above the line says that it was modified 1 d ago, but when I open the article in a new tab, the most recent post I see is from Oct '18. As far as I can tell, none of the posts have been edited. (I recently saw a thread “above the line” that had no recent post, but an older post had been edited recently. I was a bit frustrated that Discourse didn’t give me any indication that that was why the thread was “above the line” and for all I know, that wasn’t the reason.)

Anyway, I mention it because it’s related to recent posts, as is the the mysteriously disappearing line.

That’s because I deleted a spam post in it from today and didn’t change the topic’s timestamp. I’ve now done that so it won’t appear in the recent list anymore. :-) It’s so cool that Discourse allows things like changing timestamps.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, it is.

For the last several days (perhaps some weeks), I have found many threads above the “last visit” line in which I have read the post that is presented when I click on the thread title. Often, I have read every post below the one presented when I click on the thread title.

Today, for example, over a quarter of the threads above the “last visit” line had a newest post that I had already read. It seems unlikely that people might have edited posts in that many threads, and certainly I didn’t notice and different phrasing in the oldest presented posts. And in the thread Monterey Safari connectivity issues, which actually had new posts since my last visit, the thread opened to Monterey Safari connectivity issues - #3 by Simon from May 12 rather than to the oldest unread post (which was preceded by “2 MONTHS LATER”.

Any idea what’s going on? Thanks.

No idea, but I see most stuff in email first, so I can never really remember what I’ve seen when. It’s possible that it’s just a Discourse bug that will be fixed in the next revision.

If you can document it happening, such as with a screenshot of you reading a post, and then a later screenshot of that post appearing above last visit without any new posts, we could try submitting it as a bug.

I’ve been seeing the same thing as @Will_M for about a week.

1 Like

Same here. I first noticed the issue several weeks ago. Thought I had posted about it.

Does this count? You can tell that I was here 20 hours ago, because that’s when I posted my question. Today, I see a three-day-old and several two-day-old posts above the last-visit line.

Same here. Not sure when it started; possibly a couple of weeks ago.

I’ve submitted a report—we’ll see what the Discourse folks say.

I imagine the Discourse folks said nothing useful or you would have reported it. For me, the issue is continuing.

A few people asked questions, as you can see in the link above, but the conversation stopped after that.

You could create an account on meta.discourse.org and post in that thread with more details. It’s really hard for me to describe something I can’t see.