Is it just my area or does Weather's precipitation map suck?

Just as a follow-up: I’ve been checking a lot the last few days - it seems to be much better. I haven’t seen tiling for a while now.

I’ve also noticed an improvement over the last few days.

Rain is predicted for Sydney today so it will be interesting to see if it’s improved down here in Aus.

I can confirm it still sucks.

It’s not raining here - nor is there any rain nearby - but the Weather app thinks it is and we’re surrounded.

Same here. Still busted. From this morning:

No amount of zooming, panning, switching between 2/12 hr modes, or any other shenanigans got it to work. In fact, this was the improved result. Before all that fuzzing around the map was entirely blank. :man_facepalming:

It’s OK in New York City.

1 Like

Seems there are some significant server level issues at the moment. Weather currently showing no data whatsoever - even for locations around the world.

Mine went out last night as did the internet on my laptop. I couldn’t even hotspot to my phone. It’s been a weird 12 hours.

Diane

I saw reporting on this on macrumors and 9to5mac this morning. What’s weird is that some locations in the weather app (including “my location”) have data, the precipitation map works, etc., while half the locations have no data. But the home screen weather widget says no data, while the lock screen weather widget has the temp, and my watch also has the temperature and weather info. It’s a strange outage.

Apple Weather is fine on my watch, not working on my Mac, phone or iPad.

The failure this thread set out to detail and discuss predates the current Weather app outage by considerable margin and most likely has other origins. Let’s stick to discussing specific failure of the precipitation maps in here.

If the latest Weather app outage, embarrassing as it is, warrants an entire discussion, I’m sure a separate thread for that can be started.

I’ve never understood the appeal of dark sky. I got it because of the good reviews and privacy policy, and trashed it the same day. The radar was terrible (blobby, non-standard colors, no opacity adjustment), and the weather data was poor and erratic compared to NWS for the Puget Sound area. Just looked, and Apple certainly hasn’t improved the radar view.

Radarscope to the rescue. $10 one time purchase. There are extra features via subscriptions, but I haven’t needed any of them. Data sources are public, and it’s fast and cell data friendly because it downloads raw data and creates the images on device. Lots of different radar types (the default ‘Super-Res Reflectivity 1’ and ‘Composite Reflectivity’ are good for active precipitation.) Nice widgets for the home screen (but not the lock screen) and for the watch. It does have one drawback–it looks at one radar at a time, and there are some areas where it’s useful to see a merge of overlapping radars. It also doesn’t do forecasts, but forecast apps are a dime a dozen especially if you include web clips.

https://www.radarscope.app/

For current data and forecasts I mostly use Snowflake, $5 for the basics, $5/year subscription for maps and widgets. It’s one of the few that shows humidity and dew point as first class data. I also like the widget and watch configurability. I wish they had an option for NWS data though since that’s what my brain is calibrated to. The radar is ok, but not as good as Radarscope and it isn’t in a widget so I rarely use it. But it’s the only app I have that I’m willing to pay the subscription for.

Having finally upgraded from iOS 15.7.x to 16.4 I am now able to view the Apple Weather app. I find it too busy and cluttered to be useful but that’s a personal choice. The radar is…um…horrible. Slow, non-standard color table, missing sectors. So, yes, the Apple Weather precipitation maps s**k.

I’ve been using Radarscope since it was first released. In my opinion, it is the best radar app available but it’s not for everyone. It was written by meteorologists for meteorologists (and storm chasers).

I use both the iOS and desktop versions and have an add-on subscription for lightning data – mainly because I do a lot of lightning photography.

So I guess things changed again for the worse, since you just recently wrote in another thread

I’m noticing the same problems as always both on Mac and iPhone, despite being on the very latest and greatest macOS/iOS versions. Precipitation map is still tiled and sure enough, my location is among the tiles seeing no data at all. :frowning:

Others note the same issue (see below). Mind boggling that this is still an issue after so many months and in spite of user feedback. And to add insult to injury, not a problem people experienced with DarkSky back before Apple absorbed them. :exploding_head:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90934263/apple-weather-app-forecast-precipitation-dark-sky

via

Yet another example of Apple Weather’s failings.

At around 4am this morning we had severe winds for which the local BOM (Bureau of Meteorology) flagged a Severe Weather Warning. Damaging winds up to 90kph winds over several hours. It was blowing a gale outside and was quite unsettling - waking everyone in the house and quite a few neighbours. A quick look at Apple Weather showed light, 13kph winds:

Interestingly, Weather did indicate there were two weather warnings but they weren’t reflected in the app itself. Despite us being in the middle of a major weather event, Weather thought it was a gentle zephyr…

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 4.20.39 am copy 2

I have no idea why the BOM information can’t find its way into Apple Weather - it’s consistently a disappointment.

It seems like the radar images and weather forecasts are completely detached, with the radar still being horribly wrong. Today - during a thunderstorm - my iPad correctly identified a storm with heavy rain, whist the radar seemed oblivious and showed no rain in my location on the rain map. With all their money and resources you’d think Apple would be able to get the weather right.

after acquiring dark sky and killing their competent app, apple weather had gone from bad to bad. i was out -er- running the other day. apple weather said it was pissing down with rain and their “radar” confirmed it. i must have imagined that i was perfectly dry (apart from sweat) cuz apple couldn’t be wrong/hallucinating now could it?