Do You Use It? Apple's Weather app on the iPhone

That Dark Sky was so popular, and deemed to be brilliant at forecasting, is interesting.

Perhaps I first read it in a thread here on Tidbits, but didn’t it mainly use just image processing of radar images to tell when it was about to rain?

1 Like

Does it count if I use a company’s web site but not their app? In particular, I frequently use AccuWeather, but via a Safari bookmark and not with their app.

I use Weather Underground because my neighbor has his weather station linked, so we get ultra-local reports. I also have a couple of other apps as well as links to the local national weather service alerts page.

I use this as well.

I also use weather.com. It has better radar.

One of the things that I didn’t like about Dark Sky (and the same now goes for Apple Weather) is that the radar used some sort of image smoothing, so the radar looks like smudges rather than sharply defined areas. What Carrot does lack compared with Dark Sky and Apple Weather is the projected radar for the next hour. Of course the projections aren’t always right, but they are somewhat useful to me.

I should also say that I used Dark Sky, mostly for the precipitation notifications, but generally found the the precipitation projections to be unreliable. About half the time that it projected rain starting it never came, or we had rain while Dark Sky said (and the radar showed) no precipitation in the area. Apple Weather has been a little better, and lately it’s been better than Carrot.

If Apple Weather ever fixes the weird radar anomalies I may stop my subscription to Carrot.

I hacked up a personal page that uses the browser’s geolocation function and redirects me to the NOAA forecast for wherever I am at the moment, then I saved the bookmark to my home screen. But mostly I use Apple’s much slicker app.

I do wish NOAA would stride boldly into 2010 and add location detection to their site.

1 Like

After seeing ForecastAdvisor (https://www.forecastadvisor.com) discussed in the Time Newsletter (The Most Accurate Weather Apps Right Now | Time), I started using The Weather Channel App on my iPhone and iPad since it was rated #1 in accuracy by a slight margin. And I keep the Weather Channel webpage bookmarked on my Macs. Note: Weather Underground uses the same forecast as The Weather Channel if you prefer their layout.

Weatherstrip

Yeah I’m another who uses Apple Weather and another app.

I have the Apple Weather widget on iPad and iPhone Home Screens but use the (Irish) Met Eirann App for confirmation - it’s a little bit more likely to be accurate but forecasting is nigh-impossible in Ireland really - so mainly I just look at the sky in the direction the wind is coming from :slight_smile:

I’ll mention the websites people suggested in the eventual write-up, for sure.

I used to use Yr.no; I’m in the UK, facing the North Sea, and I think the local sailing types like it. I have no complaints about Yr, but now use Apple’s Weather because I find it OK and for simplicity I like to use the preinstalled apps where I can.

My wife swears by the BBC’s weather app, but I find it too pessimistic. Which suits the British obsession with the weather – not that we really have any when compared with the US (and possibly Norway).

1 Like

The two apps I use most of the time are Apple’s Weather and Yr from the Norwegian Meteorological Institute & Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation.

I’d really love to see a revived WeatherLine or similar designed app.

I also have Hello Weather, Forecast Bar, Mercury, Snowflake & Wx on my iPhone and iPad.

I’ve chosen these apps primarily based on their data collection policies. Many of them don’t collect any data, which is good in this day and age since you never know where that information may end up.

I’d rather pay for an app which doesn’t collect any data than get an app for “free” which tracks your every movement.

I’ve also looked at a number of other apps (installed, then deleted) and have chosen not to use them based on data collection policy, interface or accuracy.

Weather apps are to the 2020s that contact managers were back in late ‘90s. Still looking for one I really like.

Cheers,
Jon

I do use Weather although I liked the Dark Sky package better. My other two apps are WeatherBug and MyRadar. WeatherBug has a great lightning tracker, MyRadar has the best presentation of NWS radar data.

The only thing I dislike about MyRadar is that it’s doesn’t have a future forecast for the radar…but fortunately Carrot does. I only noticed it recently so I’m not sure if it is a recent addition or I just never noticed it.

I use Apple’s Weather app along with a few other ones.

There is one serious issue with the Apple Weather app though. It doesn’t always show all government-issued alerts. For example, we often get storm watches, wind warnings, and things like that issued by the local National Weather Service office, but these often do not come through. Meanwhile, the other apps that I use (AccuWeather, The Weather Channel, etc.) all will show these alerts.

I’ve reported this issue to Apple over the many iterations of the Weather app and they have not once addressed the issue. It’s insane.

Saw this related article today:

I use Weather Pro (an app from the App store). It requires a small yearly fee and can be used on 5 devices. It is extremely reliable, on the city level, gives much details and even satellite maps, temperature maps etc. The forecast goed ut to 14 days. Obviously 14 days ahead is not certain, but surprisingly accurate

Former DarkSky user, and now Apple Weather, along with Windy. I may move to Hello or Carrot as Apple’s view on my phone doesn’t allow JUST precipitation when selecting day’s weather, instead some waveform of temperature with no accuracy of exact hour.
Not related but I also visit tornadoHQ for details on alerts when applicable.

In that view there is a little icon to the right of the temperature. Tap that and you can see the amount of precipitation expected for each hour. The higher the bar, the heavier the rain.