iPhones and iPads Now Require a Passcode on Every Backup/Sync

Its only sync’d. I did your steps but what I get is after I cancel the iPhone code instead of enter the 6 digit, and click cancel on the iTunes backup saying I have to enter passcode, then cancel, I get a new window with the image of my iPhone SE and OK button. No message, no warning. Click OK and backup is cancelled.
You have to enter your pin to backup.
Same goes with importing with Preview (which I do not sub to Photos and use manually import from my Phone to folder on HDD array attached to my mac). If you want to import from your phone via USB using Preview, you have unlock it.

What we have here is an additional step beyond just “unlocking the phone”, it’s entering the passcode (even with Face ID enabled.) Not disagreeing with you, just wanted to be clear about what’s needed.

Ah, sorry, misunderstanding. I mean after the prompt appears. So the device can be unlocked to display the prompt, but the screen must still lock once the prompt has been displayed for the Mac-side prompt to cancel appears. Example: turn off automatic screen lock (set to never); can you now start a sync without touching the device?

I like iMazing because it does incremental backups and so each of its backups is faster than both Apple’s local backup or iCloud backup.

Not only is it faster, these incremental backups support versioned restores. And, it also permits restoring just some part of a version. Moreover, you can extract data from a backup and export it to a Mac.

As I understand, all of Apple restores are all or nothing; you can’t, for example, restore only your photos but keep the rest unchanged. Furthermore, as I understand, each iCloud backup replaces the prior one. So, if you automatically backup to iCloud each day, you can never restore any data older than one day.

2 Likes

Thanks for the article, Adam. I thought I was the only one annoyed by this. I am no luddite but refrained from updating iOS because every update seems to add something unexpected. In the bad sense. iOS 15.7.1 did exactly that. I ended up losing two weeks of some minor data because of it.

I use iMazing and really enjoyed its automatic updates, so when I first needed to input my passcode I thought it was a bug. I am now used to it and set iMazing to backup in a specific time period when I know I will be available, but Apple could have let users know this new “feature” was part of the update. Oh wait, no, this is Apple. They do what they want.

2 Likes

Yes indeed.

And as my wife had to learn the hard way, that means even if you have an otherwise fine backup, if just one little part of it becomes corrupted, you are SOL. Lucky you if you still have the old phone and it works because then you can attempt an alternate backup (iCloud or iMazing), but if say that iPhone just got crushed by a truck, you would be completely effed. Not a nice design at all.

For those of us using older, unsupported systems there will never be a fix for AppleMobileBackup. But fixing iOS should be enough for those who use encrypted backups.

I just read that 11-page discussion and was reminded why I don’t usually go to that site for help. So much better here. :grinning:

Last night I decided to troubleshoot a sync issue that has been bugging me for months. If I had to do a backup each time I would still be troubleshooting the issue. By clicking Cancel and only doing a sync I was able to find the problem quickly.

Oh, the problem was “operator error.” Again.

1 Like

Oh, fascinating! I don’t sync via the Mac either, so I didn’t notice this in my testing of the backups. I’ll adjust the article to focus it on backups.

FWIW, I just tried this on my iMac with 13.1. I am not seeing this. I’m also not seeing it when I plug in my keyboard. (I usually keep that plugged in, and unplug only when I need to charge the mouse.)

This is intensely annoying when you have automated backups (e.g. iMazing), and as you said, it just trains the user to respond to the unsolicited PIN prompt with the PIN. “Oh, that must be the backup”.

It should trust the computer if you’re making encrypted backups.

I opened a case with Apple on this, and they haven’t responded to it yet, which I guess is a good sign, in that they didn’t just reject it as working as designed. Maybe everyone should report it.

I will not update my iPad to IOS 16 until this is fixed.

2 Likes

I get around the need for iCloud+ by using MEGA.nz. 20 GB of storage at the ‘free’ level.

Everybody has there own way of dealing with security and the iPhone.
I for one -do not use a passcode and do not have any banking or hi-profile personal apps. I only use the passcode when I am traveling outside my sphere of local areas. Works for me. I have ‘find my phone’ turned on-so if it is lost-I’ll just erase everything remotely. I just can not deal with punching in numbers -just to read a text or adjust my hearing aids. To each their own.

I’ve been fighting this “feature” (I consider it actually a bug) for weeks now. I asked about it on Apple Discussions but no one knew what was causing it even AFTER I told them it started with iOS 16.1. IF Apple DID deliberately release this without warning its customers and explaining why Apple took the this route (laziness or incompetence), then it is another piece of malfeasance against their customers. The fact that once I tell my iDevice to trust my iMac should be enough until the next major update of iOS (ie iOS 17). Fortunately when I tell iTunes to sync it does; it is only the backup function that requires the password. My iPad Mini 5 is still on iOS 14.4.2 so I 'm spared on it but both my Mini 6 & iPhone 12 are on iOS 16.1

2 Likes

Curiously, when I deleted all my local backups from Storage Settings (under “iOS Files”), they did not immediately disappear from the UI. Revisiting that UI, or using Finder, confirmed that they were in fact gone.

I’m not seeing this on Catalina with my iPod Touch. If I attach it to the iMac with a lightning cable and click on the icon in the Finder, it will sync automatically (with no backup). Also, no need that I can detect to enter a password. I do see a notice on the iPod itself, when I attach the iPod that, to use certain applications, I will have to enter my six-digit password.

If you’re not performing a backup, then it won’t ask you for the passcode.

As for why it’s not trying to make a backup when you click Sync, the only reason I can think of is if your device is configured to automatically backup to iCloud.

There used to be an undocumented system preference to disable automatic backups with sync, but I believe that preference was removed in Catalina, so that shouldn’t affect you.

Hmm. I think it is configured to automatically backup to iCloud. But I’ll have to doublecheck.

Right. If you’re automatically backing up to iCloud, then it won’t automatically make a USB backup when you sync, so it won’t ask for a passcode.

Unless you manually click the button to make a local USB backup. Then it will ask.

This is correct.

OTOH having recently switched to iCloud for backups, I’m stuck with loss of auto-sync to my Mac over night. Now when I plug the phone into power over night, it will indeed automatically back up to iCloud over my home wifi as desired. However, syncing to my Mac no longer takes place when plugged into power and connected to my home wifi (as is the Mac).

I have yet to figure out how to restore that behavior. Just because I back up to iCloud, does not mean I no longer need to sync the phone with my Mac. AFAICT right now, the only way to do that is to manually initiate by hitting the sync button in the Finder. Not ideal to say the least.

2 Likes

This bug also appears in earlier OSs.

I never update until the .3 release, so my devices

• MBAir (Intel) macOS 12.6.2 (21G320)
  • iPhone XR iOS 15.7.1
  • iPad mini 6 iPadOS 15.7.1

all demonstrate the unwanted behavior, with iMazing.