iPhone 13 Brings Evolutionary Improvements: A15 Bionic Chip, Improved Cameras, and Better Displays 

Same problem on my iPhone 11 Pro. Grumble… stupid HTML tables. OK, I’ve fixed it now by wrapping the table in:

<div style="overflow-x:auto;">TABLE HERE</div>

@jcenters, let’s try to remember this for the next time we do a table.

1 Like

Thank you, that fixed it.

One thing that is still not nice, is that there is zero indication this is a scrollable table. Granted, that is not your fault. In general I have difficulty with this in iOS. Right now, the table gets truncated at exactly 256 GB. Here, I of course know there has to be more content to the right of that and I try to scroll. But in general, if you are not familiar with the matter, how would you ever know you’re only seeing part of it? Again, not directed at you, this is really much more a criticism of the way iOS fails to indicate there’s more content that can be reached by scrolling.

It might not be that gloomy. In terms of GPU it seems to be quite the riot.

Metal has the 13 Pro at 14216, compared to the 9123 score of the 12 Pro. Now even if we were to assume this was just due to the increased core count of the GPU (the A15 in the Pro has 5 GPU cores, one more than the 13 and 12 family), this would still have the regular 13 at +25% compared to the 12 Pro.

Extra good news is the new iPad mini has the same 5-core GPU A15 as the iPhone 13 Pro. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, this is a general problem with HTML tables and small screens. There are a variety of suggestions for how to deal with this problem, but some of them get pretty complicated.

And CPU benchmarks are in. +10%/+18% over iPhone 12’s A14 in single/multicore.

1 Like

I have the iPhone X and am thinking of upgrading. But what does this “6x optical zoom” part mean?

From iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple

• 3x optical zoom on Telephoto for closer close-ups
  • 6x optical zoom range across the system for more framing options than ever

Is there truly 6x optical zoom?

And is the optical zoom the same on both the Pro and Pro Max?

Never mind. I get it. There is also a 2x optical zoom out, so 3 x 2 = 6.

I think they mean an overall range of 0.5x (wide) to 3x (tele). Any zoom beyond 3x is pixel manipulation, as is any zoom but 0.5, 1.0, or 3.0.

To answer this, yes. The camera systems on the Pro and Pro Max are identical with this year’s phones.

1 Like

This 11 Pro user is staying put. The camera is really quite good on it and for my use cases the iPhone is perfect.

I had an original SE for nearly six years, and loved it until it died. I suspect this will go the same way.

It should be noted that the prices quoted in the article are only if you buy the phone from a carrier: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon. If you buy a phone to connect to another carrier then it is $30 higher. :frowning:

To me it looks like what they did is jack up the price by $30 but then have the carriers subsidize a discount.

Maybe Consumer Cellular will also have the $30 discount? Can’t tell right now because all of the iPhones are out of stock.

Yep. It’s a pain. I have a SIM that I take from one phone to another. I don’t buy phones from a carrier or locked to a carrier. Why should I pay Apple an extra $30 for nothing?

I thought we got a $30 discount because the big carriers were going to charge us a $30 fee to change service to a new phone. (At least, AT&T does.)

I now have the answer about case fit and some discouraging information about the camera bump on the Pro modes. Some folks ordered cases early and have received them. According to tweets and pictures in this article, the bump is much larger and thus requires a bigger hole in the case. Furthermore, the rim of the camera cutout is taller, indicating that the camera block and/or the lens stick out further from the phone. The slight edge of the iPhone 12 Pro cases kept one from laying the phones flat on a surface, and the problem will be even more obvious on the 13’s. Also, it will be harder to slide the phone (with or without a case into pockets.

Yes. It’s playing loose with the pricing.

All the major carriers charge a $30 “activation fee”. If you buy a SIM-free phone, then you pay this fee as a part of the phone.

I assume this is to prevent people with existing contracts from trying to save the fee by simply transferring their SIM card to a new phone.

US carriers are the worst. Nonsense charges all of them.

I have purchased the latest and greatest iPhone every year since the iPhone 4. I always get a non-contract unlocked model even though I have been with Verizon continuously since 1988.

I was logged on at the starting gun and got a 13 Pro Max in silver with 1TB of memory. Delivery times for that model were out to mid October in the first five minutes so I will pick mine up at the only store of seven in my area that had my specific model available for a 24 September delivery.

I used to just move the sim from the old to the new model. The 12 has Verizon on the e-sim like the 11. That was a major time consumer as tech support really had to dust off their collective navels to solve the issue. The second sim is my UK O-2 chip as we travel there often since my wife is British born to Irish born parents (she is a tri-national).

The biggest change of interest to me is the ever increasing sophistication in the camera year over year. The annual processor speed up is a given, but the new optics are really amazing.

I take some of the pain off the purchase cost with the Apple 10% military discount and 3% cash back on the Apple Card. My 12 Pro Max goes to my wife who has my 11 Pro Max. They just trickle down thru her four daughters for maximum family recycling so only one “new” phone brings joy to the rest of the family.

2 Likes

Weird that new iphones are usually compared to last year’s iphones. It seems that most people do NOT upgrade their phones every year, so comparisons to the iphones of 2, 3, or 4 years ago would make much more sense. Is anybody aware of such more comprehensive comparisons?

(I have an iphone 8 and I am fairly happy with it although it does slow down a bit now, so I may buy an iphone 13 or maybe not :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I have ordered a iPhone 13 Pro to replace my iPhone 7. I have more of less placed this order sight unseen. I am a photographer who likes to use the iPhone in conjunction with my main cameras. But the iPhone images of my last photography trip were quite soft and therefore disappointing in image quality.

I borrowed someone’s iPhone 12 and did some comparisons with my iPhone 7 and soon realised I needed a new iPhone. I decided to wait for the iPhone 13. There were rather good reviews post the release and decided to spend the money without doing my usual physical examinations.

The ordering process on the Apple site was ok but the delivery options were a bit convoluted but explainable by the COVID-19 lockdowns we have in Australia. I pick it up in 5 days.