Installing Monterey on a 2015 MacBook Pro

I am curious about what might happen if I install Monterey on a 2015 Macbook Pro…15"…has anybody done this? what were the results? I am currently running Catalina and it runs very well…

I would appreciate any advice out there.

thanks,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I’m running Monterey (12.1 beta) on a 2016 13" MacBook Pro (Core i5, 16 GB, 512 GB SSD). It’s not an exact match to your 2015 MacBook Pro, but hopefully this provides a useful data point.

Monterey is responsive and stable for me. Most of the workload is email, browsing, some word processing, and Adobe Lightroom. I’ve been running the public beta version of Monterey for months with no significant issue.

Jim

Works fine…if you’ve replaced the SSD with a 3rd party one you need to reinstall it and update to Big Sur to get the required firmware update, then reinstall the replacement and upgrade to Monterey. If on original SSD it’s already done unless you skipped BS.

thank you, Jim…this is helpful…

Compared to, say, Catalina, is it as responsive?

Regarding Catalina, it’s been a long time since I ran Catalina. I’ve been on Big Sur or Monterey since mid-2020. But what I recall of Catalina, both Big Sur and Monterey run at least as well.

thank you again for taking the time to reply…much appreciated.

Bruce