George Jedenoff: A 101-year-old TidBITS Reader

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/06/17/george-jedenoff-a-101-year-old-tidbits-reader/

We’ve known since the beginning that TidBITS readers are an unusual and fascinating group, but George Jedenoff stands out. As an infant, he escaped the Russian Revolution with his parents, and after picking up a Stanford MBA and serving with the US Navy Reserve during World War II, he worked his way through the ranks of the steel industry, retiring as president of Kaiser Steel. And that was all before Apple even existed—he started with the Mac in 1987.

2 Likes

I love this article, and I’m glad that TidBITS, as well as Apple devices and services, have made a difference to such an accomplished, active and dedicated man. Altro cent anni, George!

Loved the article, loved the video.

I particularly love George’s zest in the brief shot of his bike workout. Maybe I’m reading into it, but I feel like he’s thinking “I’m 101 and I’m still here and I’m dynamic and strong and DOIN’ stuff!”

I may not remember the particulars, but I will remember to do that when I get old. Just soak in the pure joy of dynamic movement, at whatever level is possible.

1 Like

George is an inspiration! Thanks for a great piece.

1 Like

This was a great article, and inspiring!

I hope I can be as vibrant as George at 100-ish.

I wonder which Monroe model calculator he has and if it was one of the last electro-mechanical models?

I still have my “slipstick” also though it is in storage now.

I hope you’ll inform us when his book is published. Thanks!

1 Like

What a gift to the world. Thanks for this, really loved the article and video. The power of optimism, staying positive, habits are key. I’ll remember this one.

1 Like

Great story, although (channeling Tom Lehrer) it lets me know how little I’ve accomplished.

I’m looking at mine as I type this, which means that it’s not in storage and I can still type without looking at the keyboard or screen. (And that’s my accomplishment!)

What a remarkable man and a great life and attitude. Given I’m nearly exactly half George’s age, I can only hope that I’m middle aged.

Truly amazing. Great instincts to reach out to him for an interview and then publishing this. Much aloha to George!

1 Like

So great to see this story! I am almost certain I met George on the chairlift at Alta about 8-10 years ago (he would have been in his early 90s then). His age, voice, and ski jacket make for a pretty unique combination that one doesn’t forget.

I used to go to Alta to ski 30-40 days a season and also meet with tech folks in SLC who worked with me on iOS app projects in the heyday of the app revolution. At Alta, I met quite a few of the folks from the “Wild Old Bunch” who were more than double my age, and they were a true inspiration. I would be thrilled if I can make it to that age and still ski. Way to go George!

2 Likes

What a story! Hope he does do his autobiography, I too want to read it.

1 Like

Here’s another centenarian who’s similarly inspiring.

Another one, this time not a sprinter, is a local to me: https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a27305018/george-etzweiler-cant-stop-running/

I see him occasionally on my way up Laurel Run Rd. in Rothrock State Forest on my mountain bike. Every year his team is the first one out on the Tussey Mountain Ultra Marathon course, although I’m not sure if they do the entire 50 miles.

I have neighbors, both in their eighties, who regularly run marathons.

Their minds are similarly fit, I’ve noted.

Man, I’ve a lot of catching up to do.

I know quite a few runners in their 70s, including one 70-year-old friend who races twice every weekend on average, with one of the two often being an ultramarathon. He regularly does two marathons in a weekend sometimes. But the oldest runner I know personally is Dixon Hemphill, who in 2018 raced the Hartshorne Memorial Masters Mile meet that I direct at age 93 and only missed last year’s race due to bad weather.

https://fingerlakesrunners.org/race/hartshorne-masters-mile-2018/

And yes, regular exercise is absolutely key in staying both physically and mentally fit, as I think George would attest to as well.

As a member of the dementia caregiver community I know many people with younger onset dementia who exercised a lot and kept their minds busy. Many had mentally challenging jobs at the time of their diagnosis. While exercise, diet and involvement have been shown to to delay the onset of dementia it is far from preventing it.

1 Like

As a physician who treats people with dementia, I agree. We can always encourage good eating and exercise and there is some evidence it helps delay (prevent is too strong) dementia, but I tell them if they enjoy exercise, do it. We see the stories about centegenarians and marathons and our brain connects the “over 100” with “running", but obviously the people that can’t keep running are not written about. Some people love to run and their bodies can take the impact, others hate it and keep pushing, others drop out. It is inspiring to read of people who are still living a vigorous or intellectually active life after 90.

Just find something you like to do to keep active and enjoy your life now. Don’t defer too much for “some day”.

Sorry, getting philosophical here.

2 Likes

Getting philosophical is entirely appropriate here.