George Jedenoff: A 101-year-old TidBITS Reader

Thank You George for your service. And, thank you for the inspiration.
TC Carr

Adam; Please pass this along will ya. TCC:}

Great article, and put me down as one who would purchase his autobiography. I found this quote at a ski site from him:

“I’ve really enjoyed skiing. But I wouldn’t want to ski everyday. There are too many other important things in life that you got to do. You’re on this earth just a short while, even if it’s a hundred years, that’s nothing in a period of time. What you do with your life is very important.”

Just heard from George. He’s doing well at 102, and continuing to ski!

I’m still holding up okay in spite of all the restrictions in our area. In late February I managed to get away for a week of skiing with the 70+ ski club. It was a great week and I managed surprisingly well, in spite of concerns by my cardiologist. This was a huge event with over 160 attendees, but it was well organized and well managed. We skied various resorts in the Salt Lake area and stayed overnight in Salt Lake City at 4200 feet elevation. Since I am still having altitude problems, this gave me a chance to recover each night after skiing at over 10,000 feet. I got to ski twice at Alta and a total of six out seven days. Fortunately, my son Nick was with me and was a great help. I’m sure glad I took advantage of that event because now all the ski areas are shut down. In lieu of my annual Ski Utah videos you may be interested in the attached which is from the Alta website.

102-Year-Old Powderhound

This coronavirus calamity has certainly gotten the world into a terrible tangly. But being an optimist I feel certain that before long we will get our economy working again and that we will be able to cope with this virus until it is no longer a problem. Meanwhile we all have to take all the precautions dictated to us.

I asked him what he thought about the coronavirus situation, given that he’d lived through the Russian revolution, the Great Depression, and World War II. He wrote:

Yes, I have lived through a number of major world crises and their impact on me depended to some extent on my age and what I was doing at the time. Undoubtedly, the most severe and the one that had the most impact on my life was the bloodied Russian revolution of 1917, and its connection with World War I. This event turned my life completely around. Shortly after emigrating to the United States in 1923, the problems that my parents had adjusting to a completely new culture and lifestyle and then being confronted by the effects of the long and disastrous world depression had a very profound effect on all of us. World War II was another severe life changer but in many ways it brought about a tremendous national unity and unprecedented public support and patriotism. In contrast there was the Vietnam War which was very unpopular and lacked the public support that was so greatly displayed in World War II. Now, we are confronted with the effects of the coronavirus. It is certainly causing major worldwide havoc, but it is still so new that it’s true major impact cannot be assessed at this point. We are still trying to separate fact from speculation; fact from politics, and developing a long-term solution. Certainly there is tremendous activity and very drastic action being taken. Every day we are learning more about the situation and I am confident that we will solve this problem as we have solved other severe problems in the past. Time will tell. We must all be patient and stay positive.

4 Likes

I love George’s book, and it’s wonderful to see he’s still a very accomplished and daredevil skier. Another cent anni to you, George!