Force-quitting apps is still not a useful habit

No, don’t do that. It’s only for force-quitting frozen or otherwise stuck apps.

But you might look at Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock and set it to a shorter time.

1 Like

I intend to force quit everything if I ever find myself sitting next to you on a plane, just to see you squirm!. But I fly out of Rochester so it probably won’t happen. :nerd_face:

A bit of ironic digression:
I recall on my previous phone that force quitting the numerous apps
in background position was the only fix I could muster for my Phone app anomalies
• No audio at caller end
• No audio at receiver end
• Random quitting during a call

hmm, go figure

Now and then my iPhone does strange things. The last one was that it every half minute wanted me to remotely input text to the Apple watch. Looking at the watch, I saw only the normal watch face. Every time I experience things thats not normal, I turn the iPhone off and on again. I find it much faster than killing apps. I wish I knew a way to choose a reboot instead.

Just to add a bit more general comment: What I find odd is that a full reboot, hard reset or…
does not actually close out apps from background mode

Oh, it does. The screen that shows when you swipe up partway and hold with a FaceID phone or iPad, or double click on a home button phone or iPad (which apple calls “App Switcher”), is not necessarily showing apps running in the background - it’s just showing your most recently opened apps, in order that they were opened, and the list isn’t cleared by restarting. Restarting a phone by definition closes all apps. The gesture to swipe obviously affects this list, but it’s also a way to signal iOS to force-quit the app.

Almost all of those apps in the “background” are suspended and not running at all. If you have background app processing turned on, they will occasionally fetch any updates, when the phone is not that busy.

1 Like