Do You Use It? Apple's Weather app on the iPhone

When I need to check the weather more precisely I go to Weather Underground, that usually give me a second opinion. Then I need to use my own experience and weigh the information from the two source, depending on what their history has been.

This is why I can’t rely on Apple for radar. This screenshot was taken in the midst of a heavy thunderstorm but Weather’s radar showed no rain anywhere. It seemed to know there was a storm - and Weather often accurately predicts when it’s going to rain (or stop), but its radar is woeful. The BOM website correctly showed the storm and its intensity.

I use WeatherBug for the most part, Apple Weather for a second opinion.

I use Carrot Weather with the Dark Sky theme b/c I can’t let go of Dark Sky. :rofl: Apple may have purchased Dark Sky, but they have been SLOOOW to implement many of the features it had.

From a UK reader: I use the Met Office app. It just seems more reliable to me, but maybe it depends what country you live in.

I use Weather Underground. Aka WUnderground

It sports a huge network of DIY weather stations, so I can find much more local data.

I’m somewhat of a weather fanatic - it’s been a major interest of mine since I was 5 years old and we had a major thunderstorm in which we thought for a minute that my sister was struck by lightning and a couple months later we had a hurricane in which it rained so hard we couldn’t see trees about ten feet away. So my weather monitoring is fairly involved. Here’s a summary of my most important sources of information.

Forecasts: I use the NOAA National Weather Service page for my forecast area. I also use the Forecast Discussion page and other relevant pages (e.g. spc.noaa.gov - storm prediction center - and nhc.noaa.gov - national hurricane center).

Current Weather: I use the Ambient Weather Network app page for my personal weather station and others. I also use Wunderground.com.

Radar: I use RadarScope for monitoring the radar.

I find Weatherbug mostly but not always accurate. I just can’t figure out why Apple didn’t use all the features of Dark Sky, especially the source. Weatherbug has several local sources. You can choose the closest one. I have Weatherbug on my Watch, but not allowed to have it display on my watch face. It must be chosen from the menu.

I use WeatherBug many times a day. It has a great interface and super quantity of weather data. And I have family living around the U.S. and overseas and all their locations are available, too.

I live in the Pacific NW with lot’s of pocket climates and dynamic weather. I’m also an active boater so weather info is critically important. So, I start with Apple’s Weather app and really like it. Then, especially when boating, I go to various other weather, wind and current apps… (like Sailflow, Windy, Predict Wind, Deepzoom, Nanoos.org, and NOAA’s Nat’l Weather Service).

I’ve tried many weather apps, including dark sky, but have settled on both of Windy and YR (The Norwegian weather office) to use in the UK. Because:

1. The notionally hyper local, hyper minute-by-minute forecasts are useful only in that you know that whatever it says it won’t do that. Weather forecasting is nowhere near that level of accuracy, so its misleading at best to pretend otherwise.

2. Telling me ‘rain’ isn’t helpful, compared to the combination of ‘chance of rain %’ and ‘how much rain’. Even most percentage-rain forecasts aren’t clear whether that’s ‘percentage that it will rain in the hour’ or ‘percentage it will rain for that much of the hour’.

1 Like

AccuWeather mostly. Sometimes Weather Channel app.

I use Apple’s Weather ever since they shut down Dark Sky. Liked DS much better, tho, especially for hyper-locality. I apreciate Weather’s ability to submit corrections. Radar feature is crap.

I also use Weatherunderground app, as a kind of double-check.

And I also use (2x daily) the US NWS Discussion page for my area, a considered predictability – perhaps too deep into the weeds for most folks, but that’s where the real story is, as always. I really don’t like my weather dumbed-down into symbols and quick summations – if anything in our world’s a complex system, it’s weather. I prefer data, detail and explanations. If I had the bucks for a smart watch, I’d appreciate the GUI tricks for the tiny screen and its tiny info burst.

I used to have, and used, many other weather apps, but they seem oriented towards cartoonish GUI’s and other areas’ issues. Since I live in Southern California, right, we don’t have much extreme weather, so I use weather apps mostly 'cos I’m geeky and enjoy following micro-climate changes.

Looking forward to seeing what y’all are using.

1 Like

I use AccuWeather because it seems to deal best with Seattle’s crazy topography and resulting microclimates.

I also use Weather Underground, as they’re often more accurate for our rural mountainous area. I like the radar view in Apple’s Weather app better though, and assume that’s one of the bits that they’ve incorporated from Dark Sky?

Windy is remarkable. The Pro is full-featured, highly detailed, and visually impressive.

1 Like

I use two different apps: WeatherUnderground for detailed daily forcasts and observations as well as long range forecasts; and MyRadar for up to the minute radar and wind data.

For routine checks, Apple Weather. During storms/alerts, MyRadar.

I also useTempest, which reports from our own backyard weather station and includes forecasts.

Weatherbug