Big Sur Is Here, but We Suggest You Say “No Sir” for Now

I saw on another site’s forum that the CCC 5 Big Sur beta is now a release version and will make Big Sur bootable backups (Intel Macs only). Can anyone confirm?

And how about SuperDuper, has theirs been updated?

Yep, @aforkosh just posted about this:

If you mouse over “Favorites” at the top of the left sidebar, a circle with a plus sign will appear. That control will allow you to reenable the Junk folder.

Thanks, Conrad,
This is a much better solution than my suggestion of creating a Smart Mailbox.

After some apps that I needed went 64-bit, I too upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur. It’s alright so far.

It was quite easy to make a Parallels image containing macOS Mojave before upgrading, as Parallels uses the Recovery partition to do that. Although note that Parallels is payware, possibly with an annual subscription. And the Mojave image file is about 13.2GB.

A problem I had was not being able to complete a Time Machine backup because Time Machine snapshot could not be created for the disk "%@"

I fixed it only using the command-line, based on combined information from a couple of pages:

Say what? I wasn’t aware of that. What were the problems?

It was for some but not for others. As far as I know, at this time, the only showstopper is that many people had issues trying to Apple Mail and it rendered some of their past email unrecoverable. It’s never been determined exactly who will get into trouble and who won’t. So for Apple Mail users, moving to Catalina was an act of faith. Note that I am such a user and waited about 5 months before taking the leap, rather than upgrading by the .1 release as I usually do. Fortunately, I had no issues.

The loss of 32-bit apps was deliberate on Apple’s part in an effort to not have development and support be a prisoner of the past. Developers and users were given notice for several years and releases of MacOS that 32-bit support would be dropped so that they could plan for the change.

Similarly, the tightening of security for kernel extensions was no surprise.

For some reason, Parallels to use for one year is being sold for $70 on Macheist.com. With a Cyber Monday code, it goes to $42. And it is bundled with software like PDFPen Pro, Busycal etc.

I posted a similar post last year when Catalina (which removed 32-bit support) was released, and bought a bundle back then. My experience is that Parallels works really well for running Mojave, which in turns still runs 32-bit apps. I have switched off the auto-renew in last year’s Parallels purchase.

The relevant tidbit article:

There is/was (depending on when you click) a Cyber Monday code at the top of the screen for additional discount.

That’s helpful, thank you. I think half my rules are missing too (never rains when it pours).

I tried resetting the PRAM (Option, Command, PR) and rebooting. That didn’t solve the windows problem.

I have also made the jump to Big Sur, and agree that the although the new desktops are a bit cartoonish, they do look lovely. Went the Route B route, erasing my boot volume to install Big Sur and import my User data, but not Application from backups. No major issues with any apps, so far, and main reason for doing it this way was to trim back some of the apps.

The Migration Assistant is now very smooth and does a good job of setting things up. Music and Photos found all my files on a separate volume, and the apps I have reinstalled have not asked to be reregistered and still list their Recently used files.

Only issue I have had since is that after installing Catalina on an external drive, from an installer on a separate external drive, Big Sur needed to reinstall itself on the internal drive again.

Would like to be able to customize the drive icons for the various partitions, so is there an easy ro do this if using the Get Info method doesn’t work?

??? That’s odd. :confused:

And a bit unsettling. Wonder if somehow the recovery partition (internal) was affected by the Catalina install. How did Big Sur alert you to having to be re-installed?

Yes, I assume this is the case. Rebooting into the Big Sur partition on the internal drive resulted in the “Big Sur needs to be reinstalled message.” Mind you, I did this by pressing the option key to select the boot drive, rather than using the Startup Disk pref pane.

Only other issue is more to do with using the Finder to sync music. Installing an OS update now routinely causes some music purchases to fail to sychnronise, requiring the Mac to be reauthorised (again). This is due to Apple’s refusal to allow accounts in different countries to use Family Sharing, so my accounts in the UK and Japan cannot share purchased files between them without reauthorising which ever is used second after an OS update.

Well, considering I have absolutely loathed iOS / iPad OS since a Fall of 2013 update, why on Earth would I want to deliberately make my Mac share in the awful experience?

Four months later - is it time to upgrade to Big Sur yet? For a Macbook Pro.

Here are a couple opinions on that question.

1 Like

Patting myself on the back for prescience. :grin: Adam put out an article on this very question just a few hours after I posted.

Yeah, I was going to say something, since I’d been working on that article for a week or two, but then I figured I’d just finish it. :slight_smile:

1 Like