Apps for tracking time and invoicing

I’m a freelancer. I’m looking for an app, compatible with High Sierra, that will let me track my time (this can be a manual operation, it doesn’t need to be automatic) and then let me generate an invoice based on that time.

I’ve been using QB2012 which has this function and it works fine, but I’m upgrading to High Sierra and QB2012 won’t run on HS.

Any suggestions?

Just to avoid some back and forth: I’m only upgrading to High Sierra because of compatibility issues with my primary software.

Hi John,

I went through this a few ago when the Sierra upgrade killed iBiz.

I settled on Fanurio. A couple of minuses (for me anyway):
Yearly subscription. It’s not expensive but I’d prefer to pay for software once.

The biggest minus is that when I am creating an invoice, I can’t pick and choose what I want to show on the invoice. i.e. I have a client who sends me research and typing per client. I’d like to look through the list of time entered and select those items only, which I could very easily do in iBiz or Quickbooks. The only way around this is to create a separate Task for each of my clients and then assign the non-billable task to each item. Then I have to manually change them to the billable Task and only then will I get two selections when I create the invoice. There is no way to drill down into each Task. I hope this makes sense, I can send you screen shots off list if you’d like.

It’s otherwise functional, but did not wow me the way iBiz did when I found it in 2009 :-/

HTH
Diane

I use On The Job. I checked the website for this to see if it would be compatible for you. Here’s a link … https://stuntsoftware.com/onthejob/

Thanks so much. That’s very helpful.

John

I use Billings Pro from Marketcircle. Works for me… manual time tracking and invoicing.

I realize this is a very old thread, but I’m hoping to revive it. I have been using Stunt Software’s On The Job for many, many years and really like it—it’s something I use every work day. However, the developer seems to have stopped developing it and the only viable, released version is for Mojave. He has created a beta version that is bare bones for Catalina and Big Sur, but many of the features are missing or buggy. I am still using Mojave because I haven’t found an adequate replacement for On The Job and I would like to update to Big Sur now, and eventually Monterey.

There is an overwhelming amount of time-tracking and invoicing apps, but most seem geared for teams and most are online only that require the client to create an account to login and pay invoices—something my clients are definitely not going to do. Plus, these apps are geared toward tracking employees’ activity with fancy reporting, etc. I don’t want or need any of that. Also, since I work for nonprofits, I’m not paid very much, so I don’t want to pay for a subscription service and don’t want to pay fees per transaction whenever a client pays me online.

So, I’m hoping that other individual freelancers will chime in with experiences with simple time-tracking and invoicing software that will work in Catalina and Big Sur and something that won’t cost an arm and a leg.

You can see my notes on Fanurio. I am still on Sierra but I think it works on later systems as well. You definitely don’t need an account to use it. It’s still updated, though I find it a little kludgy at times. You may be able to download a demo.

Diane

Thank you! I’ll check out Fanurio. In your message from a year ago, you mention the issue with creating an invoice and not being able to pick and choose what you want to include on your invoice. But, they have a free trial, so I’ll see if this will work for me. Thanks!

That is still an issue for me. I think if I had setup different “projects” it would work better for some clients. But I imported data from my old iBiz file and that’s how I set them up there. Some day I may have time for experimentation……

Diane

@dianed143 I downloaded Fanurio and did a quick test. I see what you mean now about the limitations of the invoicing. There are some other features that On The Job has that Fanurio doesn’t have and I would have to take quite a lot of time to figure out work-arounds. If you aren’t planning to upgrade your OS any time soon and have time to experiment, you might try On The Job. I would keep using it if the developer would upgrade the app to be fully functional in Catalina and Big Sur.

I’ll continue to work with Fanurio to see if I can get it to work. I’m also considering Paymo, Clockify, And.Co (although the free version is very limited), and Zoho.

Thank you! I can see I must’ve tested On The Job as it’s on my machine, but it’s worth giving it another look - it’s been a few years!

Diane

I’ve been using On The Job for about a year now and I love it. I’m still running High Sierra because I have older software that won’t work on a newer OS, so it’s still a viable option for me. I’m sorry to hear development may be stopping… hopefully the developer will revive the project.

If you still have On The Job on your computer, you may have an older version. Be sure to go to https://stuntsoftware.com/onthejob/ and download version 3.0.9.

I love On The Job, too. After much prodding from fans, he finally made a beta version that will launch in Catalina and Big Sur, but it is missing many features and the developer hasn’t updated it in about a year. I wish he would sell to someone who will bring it up to date, but I doubt that will happen. This is the only software that is holding me back from updating to Big Sur and I really need to update.

Timing is very much worth a look too. I don’t do much time tracking, but when I do need to do some, it works well for automatically capturing what I’ve done and letting me assign it to projects.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! The Timing app doesn’t appear to include invoicing, but still may be useful to consider.

Hi,
I use OfficeTime on my Mac with Catalina and sync it with OfficeTime on my iPhone 8 with IOS 15. It syncs reliably and the Mac version keeps track of breaks, asking me to include the time or subtract it. It creates invoices in TextEdit which I can edit as needed. I then print to PDF and email it.
I can have multiple subtotaled categories with an overall total.

1 Like

Take a look at ZOHO Invoice. I’ve just started using it and am still getting my head around it but it’s free and can do time tracking and invoicing. Might be worth investigating

Does ZOHO have a standalone version or is it online only? Having to create an account is a deal breaker for me unfortunately!

Diane

Thanks. I’ll give OfficeTime a look. @dianed143 I will say that Fanurio tech support is excellent. I’ve been given a trial through the end of the year, so Fanurio is one that I’ll definitely test.