Apple’s File Provider Forces Mac Cloud Storage Changes

I think the filesize calculation is cached and therefor shows the wrong size. You could check filesize with terminal or perhaps after a restart.

We have big problems when our Google Drive without notice changed all Macs to fileprovider a few months ago. About 50TB of data. The automigration on each computer was awful with old favorites still linking to data that wasn’t synced.

Our biggest problem now is however the new way Google Drive prioritizes sync jobs. It can only do one syncjob at the time and when an offline folder has added content by someone it will start download but the user can’t open files until Drive has downloaded all updated content of the less important folder. Opening a file should always be prioritized.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Ransomware protection from cloud storage services

This is probably even lower than a beginner 101 iCloud and Dropbox question but…

I note in Adam’s screen shot of his Finder window that it shows Documents and Desktop.

I use Dropbox for online syncing of my Macs and iPhone and yes I guess it does provide another level of backup to my CCC backups to my external HDs.

So, in light of this change in Dropbox…

Is signing up for iCloud Drive and moving all of my Dropbox files, which is close to 100% of my files, from Dropbox to Documents a good option for online backup and syncing between devices?

Thank you.