Apple Offers Genuine iPhone Parts and Tools to Independent Repair Shops

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/08/29/apple-offers-genuine-iphone-parts-and-tools-to-independent-repair-shops/

In a welcome change of heart for a company that has lobbied against Right to Repair legislation, Apple has announced the Independent Repair Program, which will provide genuine iPhone parts, tools, training, repair manuals, and diagnostics to independent repair businesses.

I agree with your take, Adam. Itā€™s great theyā€™re doing this for iPhone. Like you, I can only hope it will eventually also happen for Macs.

To be honest, Iā€™d be perfectly happy relying on Apple stores for Mac repairs. But as long as Apple keeps quoting this 5 day turn-around thatā€™s just not realistic. If this is a work machine, you want to have it diagnosed and, if it canā€™t be fixed immediately, only bring it in once the parts have arrived and theyā€™re ready to go. Then drop it off, pick it up a few hours later, done. Not five days later. If they donā€™t want to offer that level of service to regular paying customers (Iā€™m aware itā€™s different for corporate accounts), they might as well let independent shops do it, whoā€™d be more than happy for that kind of extra business.

" Thatā€™s also true, but itā€™s none of Appleā€™s business unless Apple is doing the repair. If I choose to take my iPhone to an independent repair shop that is clearly not affiliated with Apple, the relationship is between that repair shop and me, and Apple is not a party to it. If Iā€™m unhappy with the repair, it would be unreasonable to assume it was Appleā€™s fault in any way, and Iā€™d take it up with the repair shop."

But if you take that poorly repaired phone onto the A380 Iā€™m flying on along with 500 others, and it starts a fire, suddenly itā€™s not just between you and the repair shop, is it? I find this ā€œright to repair whether I know how to do it or not and with whatever parts I chooseā€ thing very, very scary when we are talking about ignition devices like lithium batteries. And yes, I ran an un-authorized and then an authorized Apple service shop for many years and saw what terrible things people did or had done to their devices. YMMV.

1 Like

Apple has seemingly reversed course

Or itā€™s possible that Appleā€™s course was never quite what the media and iFixit decided it was.

Hey, nice to have you joining us, David!

Itā€™s true that a fire aboard a plane affects other people, but Apple is still not involved. This sort of thing happens all the time, and there havenā€™t been major media reports blaming Apple. Hereā€™s the FAAā€™s list of 265 incidents involving lithium batteries since 1991. I count 10 instances of iPhones catching fire.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/resources/lithium_batteries/media/Battery_incident_chart.pdf

And to return to the car analogy, people die all the time in car crashes, some of which are undoubtedly due to mechanical failures, but the manufacturers are never blamed unless the problem is somehow endemic to the model. Of course, car companies also issue recalls all the time to reduce the chances of that happening.

Yes, thatā€™s possible. I donā€™t believe itā€™s supported by the companyā€™s actions, however, in suing the repair shop in Norway and tweaking iOS to identify even genuine Apple batteries that werenā€™t installed by someone with official Apple gear. Apart from the introduction of this program, I canā€™t think of a single thing Apple has done in the last few years that makes repair outside of Appleā€™s tight control easier.

It seems more likely to me that this is another case where Apple decided the negative press, in conjunction with societal support for Right to Repair legislation and the companyā€™s inability to keep up with iPhone repairs, led it to change its behavior.

Apple is sensitive to negative pressā€”itā€™s quite clear that the whistleblower report to the Guardian about Apple contractors listening to Siri recordings prompted the company to tweak iOS to request permissions, eliminate the use of contractors, and revise the grading program to protect user privacy.

1 Like

Iā€™m not worried about Apple being blamed, Iā€™m just worried about cheap crappy batteries or genuine Apple batteries carelessly installed putting other peopleā€™s lives at risk. I think some things that affect all of our safety are best done by accountable organizations. Using your car analogy, I have to go to a state authorized shop for an inspection once a year, although in between I can of course mod my engine control computer and do other dangerous things.

Trueā€¦but theyā€™re not Apple. The haters in the media will blame Apple and only Apple if an iPhone or mob catches on fire on a planeā€¦you know thatā€™s true. Unjustified maybeā€¦but trueā€¦

Fair enough, and the new Independent Repair Program should make it easier for people not having do such repairs on their own.

Apparently, only 15 US states require periodic safety inspections, mostly in the Northeast.

Interestingly, although it would seem to be common sense that periodic safety inspections reduce accidents, thereā€™s conflicting evidence to that effect.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=do+periodic+car+safety+inspections+reduce+crashes

Except we have 10 (sorry, I counted manually rather than just believing the searchā€™s count of 23) instances of iPhone catching on fire on airplanes across multiple years that show this concern hasnā€™t played out yet.

Iā€™m in the same camp. Appleā€™s actions spoke a very clear language. Also, if this was truly Appleā€™s course all along why did they wait until they got hit with bad press to implement something they could have started years ago? My conclusion is they didnā€™t really want to. But faced with negative publicity they were forced to change course.

Thatā€™s also why often times I think some bad publicity ends up doing Apple good, at least in the long run. This is no longer the 90s where theyā€™re at risk of going under and weā€™d all be stuck in a world of pain with Windows and crappy PCs. Nowadays Apple is a super powerful global player that has no reservations flexing its muscles when it feels the urge. Some critical coverage and even a bit of bad publicity here and there is exactly whatā€™s needed to reign in bad habits or every once in a while a misguided idea they float. I see that as a version of ā€˜tough loveā€™ that ultimately will only make Apple a better company.

Itā€™s funny how when it comes to flying weā€™re always super strict and quick to call for an all-or-nothing approach.

Roughly 90% of US drivers admit to at least occasionally speeding (NHTSA and insurance industry studies). And we all know perfectly well how that endangers other peopleā€™s lives. We also know that US traffic fatalities amount to 38,000 a year, basically two A380s crashing every week. Imagine what level of drama weā€™d see if that were to start happening. Yet when it comes to speeding, we tend to go with ā€œyeah, well, whateverā€.

OTOH when it comes to flying and batteries we start acting like a bunch of ferrets on amphetamines. I refuse to play along. There needs to be some level-headed middle ground. I believe the level of scrutiny and inconvenience (and yes in fact, cost) has to be roughly adjusted to meet the level of danger. The number of fatalities due to Li ion batteries speaks a very clear language. And yes, I know of their potential devastation. As a physicist Iā€™m actually well aware of the energy density in such a cell and yes, I have also seen the great FAA videos of what happens when such a cell starts a runaway and how it will continue to burn under water. I still prefer to remain rational about it.

It is not Appleā€™s responsibility if somebody goes out of their way to install dangerous components into an Apple device. Consequently, itā€™s not Appleā€™s business to interfere with legitimate customer efforts to repair Apple devices through third parties. Especially not when the repair involves genuine parts and skilled labor.

1 Like

Also, if this was truly Appleā€™s course all along why did they wait until they got hit with bad press to implement something they could have started years ago?

An article I read said that Apple has been testing this new system for nearly a year with 10 independent repair shops, and only just now opened it up to all, so this has been in the works for a while.

The bad press about this topic didnā€™t start yesterday. That was already well underway a year ago. I have so far seen nothing to indicate Apple has been proactive here, looks quite reactive to me so far.

I have so far seen nothing to indicate Apple has been proactive here, looks quite reactive to me so far.

Why does that matter? Iā€™m 100% sure Apple is doing this to negate the ā€œright to repairā€ movement, but that doesnā€™t change that itā€™s a positive move, does it?

1 Like

No, the Independent Repair Program is absolutely a positive move. The debate was merely if it was a change in direction for Apple or if the company has actually been supportive of independent repair shops all along.

They did exactly this for me at my local Apple Store. Unfortunately, once the part arrived and I dropped the computer off, it was still several days for the actual repair. :frowning:

I was curious to hear Louis Rossmanā€™s take, since heā€™s been hammering Apple over its repair policies, and generally hates Apple (he repairs MacBooks for a living, and as they say, familiarity breeds contempt).

He actually praised them for it! Itā€™s not perfect, but a big step in the right direction.

tweaking iOS to identify even genuine Apple batteries that werenā€™t installed by someone with official Apple gear

Weā€™ve already had a long argument about that in the thread on that story ā€“ if Apple was trying to prevent third party battery installations with a really innocuous warning in the battery health section, they were doing it quite badly.

Also, if this was truly Appleā€™s course all along why did they wait until they got hit with bad press to implement something they could have started years ago?

Apparently, they did start testing it a while ago. And if it was earlier bad publicity that made them do this, why did they do the battery health warning?

I think they donā€™t particularly care about the impact of their actions on third party stores and I think theyā€™re very sensitive to exposing themselves to legal liability, but not that theyā€™re going out of their way to screw over those third party stores.

The ā€˜Apple hates third party stores and is trying to destroy themā€™ was a media narrative (helped along by iFixit), and so is the ā€˜Apple has seen the light of day because of bad publicity and changed courseā€™ narrative.

In a month or six months or a year, Apple will do something that hurts third party repair shops, and weā€™ll get a rash of ā€˜Appleā€™s backslidingā€™ stories.

(Any bets on whether the next iPhone is more repairable than current models?)

Congress is now interested in this program and Appleā€™s opinions about repair.

Apple is expanding the program.

FWIW, this program is useful, but (as people like Louis Rossmann have already said) it is no replacement for the existing, unlicensed independent repair shops.

Apple authorized repair shops are not allowed to perform board-level repairs. They can only replace complete components (presumably those that have SKUs) like batteries, displays, cases and logic boards.

If your phone is dead because of a blown capacitor or a failed Tigris chip, an authorized repair shop must replace the entire motherboard. Simply replacing the failed chip is not allowed. Which is bad for many reasons. It costs a lot more, and you lose all your data.

Apple really needs to expand the program to certify board-repair shops (similar to the people they hire internally to refurbish boards) and let these shops buy the chips that canā€™t be purchased elsewhere. But I donā€™t think weā€™ll be seeing this any time soon.