Anvil: an AI assistant that runs entirely on your iPhone, now on public TestFlight (I'm the developer)

I’m the developer of Anvil, and since a few threads here have touched on privacy and AI, I thought some of you might want to try it. Version 4.1 went out to testers today.

Anvil is an offline, local AI assistant that runs entirely on your iPhone. You download the models once over WiFi, and after that it can chat, take voice input, keep notes and tasks, answer questions about photos and documents, and read and translate signs and menus with no connection. With Anvil Dream it also makes AI images right on the phone, as many as you want, even in airplane mode.

There’s no account, no message limits, and nobody else sees what you ask. Web search and iCloud backup are optional and are the only parts that go online.

Honest tradeoffs: the models are a download of several GB, a model small enough for a phone has limits next to the big cloud models, and it requires an iPhone 15 Pro or newer.

Public TestFlight, and beta testers get Anvil Pro free: Join the Anvil – Offline AI Assistant beta - TestFlight - Apple

I’d especially like to hear how it handles your real world uses, and anything that feels confusing on first launch.

2 Likes