Adobe to Bring Full-Featured Photoshop to the iPad

(Josh Centers) #1

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/07/13/adobe-to-bring-full-featured-photoshop-to-the-ipad/

Adobe has confirmed that it is working on a full-featured version of Photoshop for the iPad. Bloomberg says to expect its unveiling at the Adobe MAX conference in October 2018.

Adobe to Launch Photoshop for iPad in Strategy Shift - Bloomberg
(GraphicMac) #2

Unfortunately, Adobe’s definition of “full featured” is probably going to be very different than most professionals’ definition. But I if any of their apps can be completely ported to iOS, it’s definitely Photoshop.

(applejedi) #3

So essentially a full version of Photoshop that would run on a device with an ARM processor. That could make the idea of an ARM based Mac more of a reality.

My MBP is so ancient I can’t remember how old it is. It needs to be replaced very soon, and I can’t help but assume I’m going to end up spending a lot of money for a legacy laptop that will be obsolete in a year or two. Years ago, I spent a big chunk of change on a 9600, and a few weeks later Apple announced OSX wouldn’t run on it, and I couldn’t run updated versions of Adobe CS apps on it. I did love the 9600 though.

When I see it, and if it’s really full version and it works, I’ll believe it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-13/adobe-is-said-to-plan-photoshop-for-ipad-in-app-strategy-shift

(B. Jefferson Le Blanc) #6

If Apple hadn’t recently put the kabosh on that idea.

(applejedi) #7

I don’t recall them saying that. I think they’re developing a version of macOS for ARM just like they did when they were developing an Intel version in parallel with the PowerPC version. They would just need major software developers like Adobe and Microsoft to be on board developing their applications to run natively on ARM so when the time was right, they could unleash it to the masses.

(B. Jefferson Le Blanc) #8

You may not recall them squelching the ARM rumors but that doesn’t change the fact that they did. You can think what you like about what they are developing but that doesn’t make it so. Many people have engaged in just that sort of wishful thinking; it is infectious. But until Apple actually announces something of the sort, wishful thinking is all it is.

(Simon) #9

I’m by no means a fan of this idea to go ARM (in fact I want macOS to stay Intel), but I think you’re leaning out the window quite far on this one.

Apple to my knowledge never stated that they are not investigating macOS on ARM. They never once said we will not do macOS on ARM. Why would they? There’s no reason for them to divulge what they toy with. They have said that macOS and iOS won’t be converged and they have said no touchscreen MBP, but they have never gone into specifics about which ISA they’re playing around with. And just to play devil’s advocate, back in the day they also went on the record saying they wouldn’t do a phone, until the very moment they launched it.

Truth is we don’t know what they are tinkering with. Just as we didn’t know they were toying with running OS X on Intel until Steve pointed to the iMac in front of him at the show to a gasping crowd. Good times. :smiley:

(B. Jefferson Le Blanc) #10

Since when is the absence of an affirmative evidence of an affirmative? Logic, anyone?

Given your fractured reasoning, I’m afraid it’s you who are leaning out the window. Absence of an affirmative is precisely that, absence of an affirmative. Apple has not said they are moving macOS to ARM; anything supposing they are is just what I said it is, wishful thinking. It amazes me how vehement people are in defending this premise given the total lack of evidence.