You Can Now Export Apple Card Statements to Quicken and QuickBooks

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2020/06/05/you-can-now-export-apple-card-statements-to-quicken-and-quickbooks/

Many TidBITS readers have requested the option to export Apple Card data to Quicken and QuickBooks, in addition to PDF, CSV, and OFX. Apple has finally added support for those formats.

Lack of Qucken support is pretty much what’s kept me from getting an Apple Card. (Well, I guess also that I don’t really need an Apple Card…) So this is nice, but every other credit card I have lets me pull transactions into Quicken with their one-step update, and it looks like Apple Card still won’t do that. So Apple Card is a little more tempting now, but still not great.

2 Likes

other financial institutions let you download transactions whenever you want to. it appears that apple only lets you download an entire statement after that statement has closed. not very useful for keeping track of spending as it occurs

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to get an Apple Card, but 3 things are holding me back:

1. Lack of support for my wife and I to share one card (and see each other’s transactions). Every other card can do this.

2. No extended warranty/extended AppleCare.

3. No built-in envelope budgeting for those that use one card for everything.

1 Like

I live in UK and have been waiting to get one. Still no date when it would be available here.

Come on Apple give us some information

Carol

1 Like

Yep, that’s my suggestion for how to improve Apple Card. There’s a whole world outside the USA Apple!

2 Likes

Same here in Ireland. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Re Quicken wanting to new account - the thing to do is open the second drop down list and select the account you want the data added to - presuming you already have an Apple Card account.
Family accounts we be thoughtful and welcome. My wife charges as much on our American Express as I charge on the Apple Card.
I guess I can live with only adding the transactions once a month since I can see them daily or oftener on the iPhone.
When I request the download I send it to dropbox. Since I had done that previously it went to the correct folder in dropbox when I downloaded the QFX file.
That being said I don’t understand the reluctance to allow downloads as desired.

1 Like

It everyone uses something like Quickbooks or Quicken. Some of use on line services and the Apple Card doesn’t work with those at all.

1 Like

I would like to have the option to export transactions by a defined time period, i.e. I now need to export each month.

1 Like

My 2 biggest issues are (in order):

• Cannot share Apple Card with family, I’m the only one getting the benefits of the card, especially for contactless payments.
  • Cannot sync daily with Quicken, it is a manual process for entering charges/payments. Once a month is not frequent enough to properly track spending.
2 Likes

Thanks to this article, I’m now able to import AC transactions directly into Quicken. Woo hoo! Many caveats, as have been mentioned, but it basically works. There is a first-time setup where Quicken will prompt you to link the new source to an existing account (or set up a new one), and it’s not obvious it is talking about the Apple Card, but since that’s the only new source it’s easy enough to deduce.

The real mystery to me is why this has been such a clunky road for the normally tres elegante Apple. My guess is that it has to do with their really odd decision to have Goldman Sachs as the issuing bank. GS only started dabbling in the Consumer Banking market a few years ago, and they likely just didn’t have the software or infrastructure in place to interface with Quicken and the like. So we get to be their Guinea pigs on that journey. In that case, all I can say is, “Oink!” (I know Guinea pigs aren’t pigs. Work with me here.)

3 Likes

I guess I should be be used to Apple somewhat arrogantly deciding what features in my life I don’t need anymore. I got an Apple Card to finance my new MacBook Pro not realizing that I would not be able to automate Quicken downloads with this lame card. This is something I can do with every other aspect of my financial life – credit bards, PayPal, my investment accounts – absolutely everything. I’ve been able to do this for decades.

Apple so arrogantly pronounced their card as better – because it’s designed by Apple. No, Apple, you’re wrong. This card is lame. I will take advantage of the free interest, but I won’t be adding a single other transaction to this card. And when I’ve paid off the card, I close it.

Maybe if Quicken was a shiny new port that Apple had designed it would be better supported. Or is Apple struggling financially and couldn’t find the resources to support something every single other financial institution in the world, just about, can support.

Come on Apple, earn your arrogant pronouncements. Or are transaction downloads the new headphone jacks?

It probably has everything to do with using Goldman Sachs.

The Apple Card does have some quirks. For example, compare the monthly statement for the Apple Card with ones from other credit cards. The other statements all show a card number associated with your account (the same as on the physical card); the Apple Statement shows no such number, only your name and Apple ID In fact, the numbers associated with Apple Pay for each device, the optional physical card, and non-Apple Pay Internet payments are all non-permanent and are not key fields for identifying the account. As grantcv1 noted, you cannot set up an automatic import of the statement to your financial software.

However, I have never wanted to have such a link. I view it as a security risk to have any password associated with the connection stored with a 3rd-party or in 3rd-party software. So I find it totally adequate for the Apple Card to provide a file in .qfx format that can be imported into the computer’s financial program.I use Moneydance, rather than Quicken, but find he process works as well for the Apple Card as for all my other credit cards. By the way, the process also reveals the account uses a 19-digit hex field as the unique, unchanging identifier.

1 Like

I presume that no one has figured out how to automate the downloads or, failing that, to specify a date range (other than a month) for a download.