Why do you use browser x, y, or z?

Safari on MacOS, with occasional Chrome (changes in Safari a few years ago broke some of Keyboard Maestro’s control, and a video recording site called Riverside doesn’t work in Safari). Safari exclusively on iOS.

I just thought I’d mention the extensions I use with Safari.

Currently I’m using 1Password, 1Blocker, AdBlock Plus and ‘Eagle for Safari’. Makes for a pleasant, ad free experience where I can easily save web pages to Eagle and 1PW steps up if Keychain fails me. I simply can’t watch youtube without blockers - it’s annoying.

I don’t have any extensions for Firefox which keeps it clean if something’s not working in Safari.

I use Safari. It works. :+1:t3: I only occasionally come across a website that won’t work at all in it, and with a selection of extensions — StopTheMadness, 1Blocker, StopTheScript, StopTheFonts — plus integration with apps such as DEVONthink, NewNewsWire, Bitwarden and more I’m good to go. :slight_smile:

In the past I’ve been a Firefox user, and that’s what I’d switch to if I moved to Linux (not such a remote possibility these days, for various reasons).

Of the Chromium-based browsers I’ve tried, the only one I’ve really liked has been Vivaldi. I don’t care at all for the antics of Google or Microsoft, so no danger of either Chrome or Edge landing on my computer. Arc has some nice features, but the irony for me is that I found it slowed me down rather than speeding up my daily browsing. Perhaps that’s because I don’t live in my browser most of the time?

I use Safari because it’s fast, efficient, and a well-integrated well-behaved Mac app. Its power efficiency and performance are big reasons, but I also find the Apple Pay integration extremely useful. I also trust Safari not to be tracking me and compiling data on my usage.

3 Likes

Well, I often use Firefox because my current version of Safari does not play well with my bank’s Website (because it’s not a recent version I assume). Also Safari (15.6.1) doesn’t always display images on some sites (could be the ad blocker though). Safari is sometimes faster, however.

On Mac:

Omniweb! (oops, sadly that’s wishful thinking)

Safari on Sierra and Catalina

Firefox if I have to but I hate it. most sites that fail on safari I just don’t bother with, there’s plenty of things to be doing at with less fuss.

I don’t use icloud for anything, including any sort of sync. I especially wouldn’t want to sync bookmarks between mac and ios, because I have far too many bookmarks for ios to handle gracefully; mac has enough problems with them.

Last year I played a bit with most of the other browsers available on catalina (not including chrome, edge or opera for security/privacy reasons). I need something that handles fonts to -my- wants and needs, not a publisher’s or browser’s wants. On Sierra I’m still using an old style extension, QuickStyle, that lets me edit site specific css on the fly without needing to use css directly (e.g. click and hold on a text region, hit a character, and change the font size perpetually for that region). It’s wonderful, though it is starting to fail on more sites so I really need something similar on catalina and eventually newer systems. But I gave up. I don’t like chromium based browsers any better than I like firefox, and if there are plugins that would improve things without privacy problems, it’s too time consuming to find and vet them.

On iOS:

iCab highly configurable interface (I’d use it occasionally on mac too if they’d ever update it.)

sometimes Safari if shopping is involved or in the rare cases when iCab has trouble

I use Safari exclusively on Apple devices, but do use Chrome/Edge when I remote to Windows devices for work. I find Safari generally works well and is energy efficient. It is also nice that I can sync the tab groups with my other devices.

2 Likes

I typically install Firefox and Chrome on machines that I touch, and also the Ublock Origin extension for add/tracker blocking. I use Firefox as my primary because it was the best cross-platform option back in “the day” so I have stuck with it. If there are issues with Firefox I might go to Safari or Chrome. On client machines I will typically use whatever their default has been.

Arc on desktop. Safari on iOS and iPadOS.

Given the number of people using Arc - and the fact they say it’s built for ultimate privacy - I thought I might take a look.

First thing when opening it asks to create an account. I don’t want to sync anything, just let me use it and see how it goes… I’m seriously over having to create accounts for everything.

I just deleted it.

3 Likes

I use Safari. Started using it when it first appeared as a beta, worked perfectly. Then I tried Firefox and used it for a few years, but it just started slowing down, eventually to a crawl, so went back to Safari and been happy with it ever since. Won’t touch anything Google re search/browser, but do have a subscription to YouTube.

1 Like

I have not used Arc so far because of this, and also the unanswered question about how The Browser Company (which creates Arc) is going to monetise its products. Not that I think there is anything iffy about this per se, but it will be good to have some clarity before using something that reveals so much of my digital life.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’m not specifically talking about The Browser Company, but anyone can create a website, say they’re going to encrypt everything and keep your data private, then immediately sell readbable versions of it to someone nefarious.

Every time you register an account with some web company, you’re putting complete faith in them being legitimate.

It’s probably fine, I’m sure there’s no-one dishonest on the Internet… :wink:

3 Likes

Firefox, Chrome, Edge (for work sites, sharepoint…), Brave (it has TOR), and Safari (only because Apple defaults sometimes). Some of these listed I’ve not tried, but might. Aviator I had used but dropped after an OS upgrade.
One thing I noticed on FF vs Chrome, was Xerox for printer drivers is FF will read their DMG as data, not a download. So I have found Chrome works with that site. And having multiple browsers allows you to verify that maybe a cache or cookie are problematic, or that there is a wide problem with some site.

Safari is my default browser with Firefox set aside with preloads for specific work reasons. Never, ever use Google Chrome. Safari works well with Apple Pay and with my VPN service.

In such situations a simple workaround can be right click for something like “download/save linked file” (opt-click in Safari). Perhaps add the proper extension by hand if it doesn’t come along. MIME types can be misconfigured, but if you’re certain what you should be getting, this quick and simple workaround can save the day.

I’ve responded to this before. Accounts are just a fact of life nowadays, and they’re no problem at all if you use a password manager.

It’s only unanswered in that they haven’t actually started charging because they’re more focused on the Windows version right now, followed by the iPhone version. The plan is for an enterprise-level Arc for Teams. I’ve talked with a guy there about it and here’s the CEO talking about it last year, clarifying unequivocally that they won’t be selling people’s data:

2 Likes

No, I think @trilo makes an excellent point. There’s no need to force folks to set up accounts just to try out an app. And actually, IIRC, Apple agrees and stipulates the very same for App Store apps (possibly with few exceptions).

Unless core features of the app require it, like syncing and collaboration.

All I can say is that I’ve used Arc literally non-stop since I installed it, and if creating an account is too great of a hurdle for someone, they’re the only person missing out.

And yes, I created an Arc account at setup, like I do multiple times per month as I test products and services for TidBITS, which is why I have about 1000 accounts in 1Password. It’s just not a big deal. Random accounts hold nothing more than my email address and a strong, unique password that can’t be cracked, so there’s no liability if the company shares that data elsewhere or has it stolen by a hacker.

3 Likes

I use Chrome because it’s fast and easy, but I also frequently use its photo search tool. But I also use Firefox and Safari so I can use their memories to keep my passwords, my wife’s and our joint passwords available.