When and How to Upgrade to iOS 12, watchOS 5, tvOS 12, and macOS 10.14 Mojave

Yes, Al, that may be true, but it is not the same as “easy” or “convenient.” Though I will say that the low point was the Yosemite installer that seems to have disappeared forever, anywhere. Would you have a line on that?

No. If I remember correctly, installers through Yosemite were tied to the AppleID of the user that downloaded them, so could not easily be used by other users. El Capitan installers were no longer managed that way and so became available to users even if they had not previously downloaded it.

-Al-

Apple is still finding its way with Watch OS. In the new OS, Time Travel is gone. For the last few releases, if you turned the crown on your base watch face, the displayed time would change, with time-dependant complications also changing. It was viewed as a quick way for folks to check on past and future events. It also allowed one to have fun with the faces that changed throughout the day. However, it could be frustrating, as if you unintentionally brushed the crown, your face no longer reflected the current time.

Anyway, as of Watch OS 5, TIme Travel is gone. Rotating the crown when on the base watch face does nothing.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Compass off after upgrading to iOS 12

3 posts were split to a new topic: Problems backing up in iOS

Separately, I really would like to have the latest iteration of the Metal API… it has become a small issue in the past month or so. I knew Mojave was coming and thought I’d kill 2 birds thinking they WOULD put in support for raid arrays as they had stated for Sierra. Asked question in a number of places, got no information… BUT I do see they are stating fusion drive support, which is of no interest to me. Yes, my boot drive is an SSD array. I HAVE read several comments about trying to install HS on such systems and having disaster strike. All I am looking for is some level of assurance that I can upgrade my boot drive, have it stay at HFS+ AND have a successful update without it it doing bad things to my system.

I didn’t have time to check in the office but I think any of the installers can make a bootable drive to install OS X with no connection to an Apple ID. The inconvenience of older downloads of OS X/macOS is their signing certificates have expired, you may need to change the Mac’s clock to a year when the OS version was current to install it.

Yes, that’s what I have done and what I meant when I said “could not easily be used by other users.”

-Al-

Time Travel is sort of available under Settings/Time - you can manually set the watch back or forward in time. Not as versatile as using the crown.

Hi all. I’m wondering if anyone has tried creating a virtual macOS installation using Parallels Desktop. I’m wary of jumping to Mojave right away because I will lose the ability to play quite a few of the games I own on Steam. Are there any gotchas I need to watch out for?

lI thought I was visiting a USPS site and installed MyPackageTracker
How do I uninstall it?

David

Well, it can certainly be done, but I don’t see the point of it. Just install Mojave on an external or spare partition if you have one and run it that way.

I can currently run 10.6.8 or 10.8.5 through 10.13.6 by simply booting from the appropriate volume.

-Al-

In alphabetical order:

ClamXAV https://www.clamxav.com

DetectX https://sqwarq.com/detectx/

Malwarebytes for Mac https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

All have free modes or trial modes if you don’t feel like investing for future use.

-Al-

Al’s suggestion of a separate partition is a good one. The main confusion you can run into is that you’re setting up two completely different systems, and keeping documents and settings in sync is way too much work.

What you might consider, assuming all your document and sync-based apps work in Mojave, is making Mojave your main system and creating a separate partition for High Sierra so you can play your games there.

Hi Adam. I may as well go that route. I was able to set up a virtual machine running High Sierra using Parallels Desktop, but it took a few goes to get there. (Not helped by the defaults that Parallels chose for the VM - just 2GB of main memory and 64MB of video memory.) I do have a small external SSD that I could use. Only downside is the need to reboot to switch between systems, but that might be a plus since it means I’d be less likely to slack off.

i upgraded to ios12 and watchos5 and have encountered a number of annoying nits. mostly related to the music app on the watch.

i sync my phone to my own music library - no apple music for me - and have created a smart playlist for the watch that’s a subset of the playlist for the phone. the watch appears to fail to update the tracks it’s played which results in it playing the same set of tracks again.

it also resets its music app every time it’s placed on the charger, forgetting the shuffle setting and the track that was paused.

sometimes it even appears to fail to pause the track when the airpods are removed and placed in their charge case.

all-in-all too many nits escaped the dull eyes of the apple q/a department. colour me an unhappy user.

I hope that’s only true for watchOS and not for iOS 12 or Mojave in general. We’ve been there before. The latter two were supposed to improve on that. Keeping my fingers crossed.

simon, i think it’s mostly watchos (and the ios watch app). mind, i don’t like some of the dnd-related notifications on my lockscreen, especially that you can’t turn them off.

but my phone, an se, seems much snappier since the upgrade.

Thanks. Sounds good. :slight_smile:

Apple has released tvOS 12.0.1 with “general performance and stability improvements” but it seems so minor that I can’t see covering it any way more than this comment.